Bobcat Basketball in Canada

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcat Basketball in Canada

Post by Rich K » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 am

It seems Bonton is going to be the real deal, playing often and with great results. Our two transfers also performed well, but I was more expecting that. Hard to make too many predictions based on one game. It was interesting, and it seems under the international rules, the pace is rocket-like. I do not think anyone was in foul trouble. I was worried at first, because it seemed they were getting open looks at threes, but later on we must have adjusted to get more in their face. Good game.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

sacstateman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by sacstateman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:31 am

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 am

Bobcats race past Calgary to begin foreign tour
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcats-win- ... ur-opener/

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:10 am

Anyword on last nights game?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:54 pm

Real nice Game for the reserves particularly Bonton and Mvuezolo. While not a reserve Nuemann had a real efficient game w 15 points. Bonton lead the team with 16 points, 4 assists 4 rebounds and 2 steals. Fish was concerned about defense intensity in the 2nd half which dropped significantly from the first 1/2 but given this team has only been practicing for a couple weeks I think that should work it way out as the season comes and progresses. Alberta was a better team and the game was very physical but Nueman, Konner Frey, Osayande and Blevins seemed willing to bang with them. I wish we were able to get more minutes for Kirby and Shultz. This team is deep, athletic and versatile and scoring wise can hurt you in numerous ways. Bonton plays at a speed that we do not get to see very often in the Big Sky, but he looks so in control like he was a junior not a freshman.

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:29 am

Sounded like the trip served its purpose...although would have liked a better showing and more competitiveness from our younger/bench guys the last game. 97-72 loss... but again it's August and is all apart of the process.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:44 am

4 games in 4 days probably didn't help in that last game.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:44 am

Four games in four days...it is a lot but the guys competed in the last game until about 3 minutes left in the third. It was as if they just were wore out, they couldn't hit shots, and their defense was definitely lacking. But considering they didn't play Harry at all, Tyler for only 8 minutes, Devonte for only few. And not much for Zach as he is recovering from thumb injury, they competed. This team is going to be fun to watch and i am happy with how this trip went, yes it would have been great to be 4-0, but they did well. This made me extremely excited for basketball to start. I am looking forward to the season ahead. It should be really good, if everyone stays healthy.

Just a couple takeaways from this trip and although I didnt watch and just listened...
1. We are deep team, not i am not sure on if Fish plans to redshirt Luke Schultz or not, but we are deep without him. And he showed flashes as well with a couple steals and scored here and there, but he did have turnovers but he is a freshman. And to think that Lassi didn't play at all so that is another additional body to work into the mix, and could be the backup point guard. As for the other freshman, Isaac is very talented, he turned it over plenty, but think that will get better. He can score, he assists, he plays defense...seems like the real deal to me.
2. The addition of the two guys on the bench last year in Konnor Frey and Keljin Blevins is huge. They played great, and the fact they got a year of practice with the team under their belt helps. I was impressed with these two.
3. Although there were lapses, i would say for being August and only a few practices, we did well defensively. Yes, the last game was questionable and the second half of the 2nd game as well. even so, we have so much potential and this team is going to be tough.

Those are just a couple things i saw and can't wait for basketball season to start.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am

bobcatfan4life wrote:Four games in four days...it is a lot but the guys competed in the last game until about 3 minutes left in the third. It was as if they just were wore out, they couldn't hit shots, and their defense was definitely lacking. But considering they didn't play Harry at all, Tyler for only 8 minutes, Devonte for only few. And not much for Zach as he is recovering from thumb injury, they competed. This team is going to be fun to watch and i am happy with how this trip went, yes it would have been great to be 4-0, but they did well. This made me extremely excited for basketball to start. I am looking forward to the season ahead. It should be really good, if everyone stays healthy.

Just a couple takeaways from this trip and although I didnt watch and just listened...
1. We are deep team, not i am not sure on if Fish plans to redshirt Luke Schultz or not, but we are deep without him. And he showed flashes as well with a couple steals and scored here and there, but he did have turnovers but he is a freshman. And to think that Lassi didn't play at all so that is another additional body to work into the mix, and could be the backup point guard. As for the other freshman, Isaac is very talented, he turned it over plenty, but think that will get better. He can score, he assists, he plays defense...seems like the real deal to me.
2. The addition of the two guys on the bench last year in Konnor Frey and Keljin Blevins is huge. They played great, and the fact they got a year of practice with the team under their belt helps. I was impressed with these two.
3. Although there were lapses, i would say for being August and only a few practices, we did well defensively. Yes, the last game was questionable and the second half of the 2nd game as well. even so, we have so much potential and this team is going to be tough.

Those are just a couple things i saw and can't wait for basketball season to start.
I think that is a pretty good assessment. The team looked really really deep as deep as Ever seen a Bobcat team and yet we will still have Green and Nikkarinen to the Mix

Surprises:

Keljin Blevins - What a great well rounded player, can score inside, can score outside, strong rebounder, plays great perimeter defender and a physical defender in the paint. Everything this team needed.
Isaac Bonton - Well everyone know I had high hopes for Bonton this year and he probably exceeded my expectations a little bit, but what really impressed me was that he played with great maturity he did not look like an out of control like a lot of high powered freshman can. Turn overs a little high, but give him some time to get used to his team and coach.

Konnor Frey - Not a surprise for me, but his offence looked a little rusty and I expect it to get much better as he shakes the rust off. I thought he was a solid rebounder but for a 6-6 guy he was outstanding!

Big Guys

Like most of us I would really like to have the option to insert a quality 6-9 or better big guy into the line up at times. Osayande is the closest we have right now. There are few big men in the league who have the combination of height, speed and athleticism, but he is so inconsistent. I put most of this on Osayande but I also have to some of this on Fish. I think that is what we are going to get this season, inconsistency. That said, as long as he gets regular playing time, I would put money on he is going to have 1 or 2 game where he get 15+ points w/10+, when he puts it all together. Kirby/Shultz the yin/yang duo. They did not get much time this week end, but for his minutes I thought Kirby did decent job on the boards, but shot the ball terribly. Shultz was a lot more effective offensively, but struggled at times in all sorts of ways. Still in my opinion Shultz has the bigger up side as most of his struggles could be worked out with more practice, but Kirby has to hit bunnies when presented to him.

This team has great potential and a lot of room to improve. Fish can bring in waves of players at time and keep out stars fresh for the end of the game. That is the spoken intent and I love the idea, but I wonder if I had a Tyler Hall and Harald Frey on my team could cut their minutes.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 pm

mslacat wrote:
bobcatfan4life wrote:Four games in four days...it is a lot but the guys competed in the last game until about 3 minutes left in the third. It was as if they just were wore out, they couldn't hit shots, and their defense was definitely lacking. But considering they didn't play Harry at all, Tyler for only 8 minutes, Devonte for only few. And not much for Zach as he is recovering from thumb injury, they competed. This team is going to be fun to watch and i am happy with how this trip went, yes it would have been great to be 4-0, but they did well. This made me extremely excited for basketball to start. I am looking forward to the season ahead. It should be really good, if everyone stays healthy.

I think that is a pretty good assessment. The team looked really really deep as deep as Ever seen a Bobcat team and yet we will still have Green and Nikkarinen to the Mix

Surprises:

Keljin Blevins - What a great well rounded player, can score inside, can score outside, strong rebounder, plays great perimeter defender and a physical defender in the paint. Everything this team needed.
Isaac Bonton - Well everyone know I had high hopes for Bonton this year and he probably exceeded my expectations a little bit, but what really impressed me was that he played with great maturity he did not look like an out of control like a lot of high powered freshman can. Turn overs a little high, but give him some time to get used to his team and coach.

Konnor Frey - Not a surprise for me, but his offence looked a little rusty and I expect it to get much better as he shakes the rust off. I thought he was a solid rebounder but for a 6-6 guy he was outstanding!

Big Guys

Like most of us I would really like to have the option to insert a quality 6-9 or better big guy into the line up at times. Osayande is the closest we have right now. There are few big men in the league who have the combination of height, speed and athleticism, but he is so inconsistent. I put most of this on Osayande but I also have to some of this on Fish. I think that is what we are going to get this season, inconsistency. That said, as long as he gets regular playing time, I would put money on he is going to have 1 or 2 game where he get 15+ points w/10+, when he puts it all together. Kirby/Shultz the yin/yang duo. They did not get much time this week end, but for his minutes I thought Kirby did decent job on the boards, but shot the ball terribly. Shultz was a lot more effective offensively, but struggled at times in all sorts of ways. Still in my opinion Shultz has the bigger up side as most of his struggles could be worked out with more practice, but Kirby has to hit bunnies when presented to him.

This team has great potential and a lot of room to improve. Fish can bring in waves of players at time and keep out stars fresh for the end of the game. That is the spoken intent and I love the idea, but I wonder if I had a Tyler Hall and Harald Frey on my team could cut their minutes.

I agree with you on the player assessments. Keljin BLevins sounds like an all around player and that will be good to have. And having extra bodies is always helpful. I would say in some of those games last year that came down to the end, if we could have put in someone else for Tyler or Harry or Klines that may have helped. Now we have solid backups and people that could come in to give them a couple minutes of rest if needed, now if that will happen, who knows. But for August can't much complain about how they played, especially considering they didn't really do much offense and worked mostly on defense.

I also see inconsistency with Osayande, but i also say he is very athletic and the ability to run up and down the floor for a bigger guy is a big deal. I like that he has that and I could see DK playing some solid minutes for us. Do you think Schultz redshirts or do we not redshirt anyone?

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:27 am

mslacat wrote:

Surprises:

Big Guys

At some point, maybe in the next 10 years, I will get this transfer eligibility stuff down. But what year is Blevins? It says on msubobcats.com that he is a senior. I see that he played as a true freshman at Southern Miss ('14-'15), played as a sophomore ('15-'16), and then transfers to us for his junior year ('16-'17). It says he had to redshirt this last year to satisfy transfer requirements, doesn't that mean he is still a junior? :?:

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Correct, Keljin is a junior eligibility.