Spring Basketball recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by mslacat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Well a very enjoyable season of Bobcat basketball is over and looking ahead next year hold just if not more promise for our two teams. With the end of the basketball season usually comes the big rush for schools to gear up and get those final pieces as the Spring signing period comes barreling down a mere few weeks away (April 11th this season). What I find refreshing and very positive is that niether Fish's or Binford's have a great need to to sign someone to fill some holes. While I think they could make their teams stronger either in the short term or long term I am very optimistic about both teams next year with the current roster plus the additions made this fall. Here is a look at what I know, rumors and my opinions for the spring signing period.

Men's
WE only have a single roster spot open, but that was for Sarp Gobeloglu scholarship and he was a senior anyway. Add to that senior Quinton Everette's scholarship and they account for the two players we signed in the fall, Isaac Bonton and Luke Schutz. With those two coming on board this fall on paper that pretty much fills up all our roster spots. Having done the math on scholarships but considering that it seems every year we lose at least one under class-man to transfer it is always possible that another scholarship. I talked to a very connected source this week end and as of Saturday "no one is transferring as of now". If so that would mean we would be standing pat, as I said earlier I fine with that. That said though I know the coaches have been recruiting this winter and in this thread I gave a list of who some of those recruits were.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38154

Most of the recruits it seems that Bobcats were recruiting this winter were Point guard and surprisingly point Guards with size(6-5 or better). Additionally two players we had in for visits this fall PG Jaizec Lottie of CO and PF Clashon Gaffney of TX, who both visited with Issac Bonton, recruitment seems to be pretty cool right now. I hear both Lottie and Gaffney were hoping to attract bigger schools attention with their play this winter and while both had great seasons I am not sure they are getting those bigger school offers (unless you consider Denver "a Bigger School"). Possibly the most interesting recruiting development this spring could be that Bobcat sophomore to be Devin Kirby's BIG brother 6-9 240lb Maurice Kirby who started 26 of 31 games for D-1 Loyola Of Chicago announced this week end he intents to transfer from Loyola as a graduate transfer (meaning he could play right away). There was speculation all season on L of C message boards, that he would do this and transfer to MSU to play with his brother. The first half of the rumor has happened, so it will be interesting to see if there is anything to the second part. Keep in mind though, while Maurice started the majority of the games for L of C he only averaged 10 minutes 2 point and 2 rebounds a game, so I wonder whether he is the type of player Fish would make room for (cut someone to get his scholarship) to add to the team. Everything points towards for the 1st time in Fishes career @ MSU not a lot of player coming and going this spring, and that is a VERY GOOD THING!

Women:

The women have 2 open scholarships right now plus the three scholarships of their just graduated seniors for a total of 5 scholarships to fill. The Bobcats signed four this fall, Coral Gillette, Tori Martell, Laura Pranger and Ashley Van Sickle, so they should have at least one scholarship to fill this fall. Again, they could possibly add 1 more or so if someone decided not to return. I think Binford accomplished what she needed to this fall with her early class. While only 4 players all of these players can play 2-3 spots for Binford so she pretty much filled every spot on the floor. Something else to think about is that Binford already has two commitments from fellow Minnesotans 5-8 SGSidney Zieske and 6-1 PF Gabby Mocchi for next years class (2018) where she only has 3 scholarships to offer, so she is sitting in a real strong position. I think Binford has an excellent class as it is and it fills all the immediate needs of the program. I would expect her and her staff to be looking hard at this 2017 class for players that could make an immediate impact on the program. If they are not extremely happy with what is available this spring I would expect Binford to hold on to the scholarship to get and even better player in the 2018 class to go with what she already has. Binford has held/not filled scholarships many times and has said she, will not fill a scholarship for the sake of filling one. This is the advantage you have when you have 15 scholarships (compared to the men's 13) and 2 dynamite commitments for 2018 already in the bag. I love recruiting from a position of power!

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Spring Basketball recruiting

Post by phantom » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 am

In this day and age of college basketball, it would be a tremendous upset if there were no transfers. You can probably assume 1 will transfer, maybe two. No inside information, just the nature of the beast these days. As far as what the Bobcats will bring in, it's hard to say. With a 6'10 freshman coming in, Benson and DK coming back, along with the fact that Sam was very solid as an undersized post, I don't know that a post player is where they will turn to, especially a post that didn't have great numbers on an average team in a Missouri Valley that was down this year. A point guard with size would make some sense. When Frey is out, there really is no true PG to player the spot.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Well, Worthy transferred. Do you think we go after Kirby's brother mslacat? Or someone else?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:38 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:Well, Worthy transferred. Do you think we go after Kirby's brother mslacat? Or someone else?
Since the end of the season things have been pretty quiet on the recruiting front even before Worthy officially transferred and nothing has changed since. I know a couple kids who we were looking at committed elsewhere. Lack of hearing them offer new folks especially after Worthy made his announcement may indicate that they have their targeted recruit(s) identified. If they are looking overseas that also might explain why it is so quiet. My guess is that they are looking hard at the guards they offered over the winter, and/or waiting to see who becomes available as a D-1 transfer. One thin I am pretty confident about is that Fish will not sign a guy just to fill a roster spot. He will be looking for an impact player (next year or down the line) or he will hold it till next year.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:24 pm

I have been told by a source outside of Bozeman that 6-2 PG Jaizec Lottie who visited MSU last fall with Isaac Bonton is still very much in play this spring for our last scholarship. Lottie averaged 20.3 points, 4.0 assists, 3.8 rebounds, 2.1 steals per game for Cherokee Trail High School in Colorado. He was named 1st team all Colorado 5A and 1st team All State (regardless of class), not to mention numerous district and conference awards. In a recent Colorado All Star game he scored 27 points as his east team lost 91 to 113 to the west team. UC Davis, Weber State, Utah, Denver, Northern Colorado and Air Force, have offered, Virginia Tech, Washington State, Gonzaga(walk-on offer), Lafayette, New Mexico State, UNLV and Montana have been in recruiting contact with him over the past 3-4 weeks.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:25 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:Well, Worthy transferred. Do you think we go after Kirby's brother mslacat? Or someone else?
I can confirm that Montana State will not recruit Maurice Kirby as a graduate transfer.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:27 am

There maybe a recruit in town now or on his way. A little rumor about someone unknown who played with a current player prior to college.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:56 pm

One of the guys on my list of prospect Is Amin Adamu a 6-3 of Barking Abby HS in London played ball with Joe Mvuezolo Jr. at Barking Abby a few year ago. Adamu was unanimously voted the East Conference Player of the Year (Englands upper level high school basketball league) and averaged 21.9 points (led all players), and added 4.6 rebounds, 1.8apg and 2.7spg while shooting 65.9% 2PT FG% and 37.5% 3PT FG%. Barking Abby finished the season as the undefeated and Nation boys high school Champion

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Parker Gabriel of the Chronicle let us know earlier today who will be coming in for a visit this week for the Bobcats men.

Antonio Pilipovic a 6-6 (I have seen him listed at any where from 6-5 to 6-7) forward is in today and tomorrow. He is from Germany and is listed primarily as a small forward but I have seen him list his secondary position as shooting guard and power forward. He has a pretty rugged frame and can play inside and out. I saw a stat line on him where over three games he had 18, 14 and 13 rebounds and only shot a couple 3 pointers and the next three games 4,3,and 6 rebounds but went 13 for 22 from three point range, I think what you get out of him depends on where you play him. He appears to have Harald Frey type 3 point range. The only criticism I hear of him when he played last summer on a Norway U-18 team was they thought he hung out at the three point line too much.

Lars Epse a 6-1 (I see him listed at any where from 5-10 to 6-2) PG/SG from Norway. He and Harald Frey are said to be former teammates and friends. He played in the same Pro/Am league Frey did last year but a different team. He averaged 15.3 points, 4 rebounds, 4.91 assists, 2 steals while shooting 44% from 2 point range and 39% from 3 point range. (for those wondering Frey was 16.9pts, 4.6rebs, 4.4 ast, 2.7 stls 44%2FG and 39.3%3FG)
Epse started every game led the teams in minutes played and assists and was second on the team in points and steals. I exchanged tweets with someone who follows Norway basketball and knows both Frey and Epse here is what he had to say about Epse
MagnusBarstad‏ @MagnusBarstad 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @mslacat
He is a baller. Straight up baller. Extreme quickness and real good feel for the game. High IQ
When asked to compare Espe and Frey
MagnusBarstad‏ @MagnusBarstad 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @mslacat
Both good players. Espe is a lot stronger pyshically, for me he can beat you in more ways. Very, very fast. Frey a better shooter.
If you have not yet, you should also check out Parkers write up in the Blue and Gold Blog for more info and video.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/bl ... f2c26.html

My gut feeing is we will get one of these guys by signing day which is next Wednesday

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:35 pm

I like that were are recruiting Norwegians and Germans!!!
Maybe get more locals to attend!!!

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

desmond1957

Post by desmond1957 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:10 am

Did you attend many of the Cat's home games this year? It seemed that almost every team that came in had an international roster, the Big Sky is no longer a home grown product. As for the comment about" Way to Increase Attendance" as one who has seen virtually every game since the Brick was built in 1957 I would say that Fish has done one hell of a job since he came here in increasing attendance, that Cat-griz was like the crowds in the old days! I personally don't think that fans don't really care where the players are from as long as THEY JUST WIN!!!!! The only exception would be if they are from Montana, and those players are increasingly few and far between! See you in the Brick next season, I think it's gonna be a great one.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:50 pm

i will start by saying I also notice there were multiple teams in the Big Sky with international flavor on their teams. There is no problem with that, unless your entire team is made up of them, that is where i would have an issue. It is an interesting debate to have because I had a conversation about this with a couple of people and one thought we shouldn't even recruit overseas because their is plenty of talent in the states, the other thought there was no problem as long as an entire team isnt made up of international players. I am on the page of saying having one or two guys from overseas is fine. We have Joe and Harry...i see no issue in that, especially considering we didnt really recruit Joe from England, we recruited him from a JC school.

As for attendance, I for one thought the games were well attended, but even so the crowd at many of the games was lacking enthusiasm and energy it seemed. It was great to see it more full and of course the sell out for Cat Griz was the best ever. It was the best home environment in over 10 years i would say. I think Fish is doing a great job on the attendance front and I really would say that with a better team more people will come to watch and next year we should be really good as long as all stay healthy. I like the team we had last year and will be better! That is how i see it.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:50 pm

i will start by saying I also notice there were multiple teams in the Big Sky with international flavor on their teams. There is no problem with that, unless your entire team is made up of them, that is where i would have an issue. It is an interesting debate to have because I had a conversation about this with a couple of people and one thought we shouldn't even recruit overseas because their is plenty of talent in the states, the other thought there was no problem as long as an entire team isnt made up of international players. I am on the page of saying having one or two guys from overseas is fine. We have Joe and Harry...i see no issue in that, especially considering we didnt really recruit Joe from England, we recruited him from a JC school.

As for attendance, I for one thought the games were well attended, but even so the crowd at many of the games was lacking enthusiasm and energy it seemed. It was great to see it more full and of course the sell out for Cat Griz was the best ever. It was the best home environment in over 10 years i would say. I think Fish is doing a great job on the attendance front and I really would say that with a better team more people will come to watch and next year we should be really good as long as all stay healthy. I like the team we had last year and will be better! That is how i see it.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:07 pm

Pretty sure the original comment about getting more locals to attend was jokingly referring to the significant population of Scandinavian heritage in the Montana/Dakotas/Minnesota area. I think recruiting places like Norway that have at least some D-I talent but aren't considered basketball hotbeds is a fantastic idea for a school like MSU, as opposed to recruiting somewhere like Australia where a lot of bigger schools might already have a presence established.

I feel like attendance will be much stronger next year and the fact that MSU finally got over the hump against UM will have a lot to do with that. It's unfortunate that the game in Bozeman last year was the last home game of the season for MSU, as I feel like enthusiasm about the team really jumped after that win. Plus, fans in Bozeman had better get out and watch Tyler Hall while they can because I'm pretty sure it'll be a while before MSU has another individual talent like him on the team. Still need to improve student attendance on a consistent basis, although with the amount of other things to do in Bozeman these days I'm not sure it will ever get back to what it was. Shifting the Saturday schedule from afternoons to evenings may help there somewhat, although who knows if they plan to do this.

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Signing Day is Wednesday, April 13. Has anyone heard a hint as to who, if anyone, the Cats will be offering a scholarship? It is my understanding from this thread that some of the possible candidates include PG Jaizec Lottie, PG Amin Adamu, PG Lars Epse, or F Antonio Pilipovic.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:45 pm

bobcatfan4life wrote:i will start by saying I also notice there were multiple teams in the Big Sky with international flavor on their teams. There is no problem with that, unless your entire team is made up of them, that is where i would have an issue. It is an interesting debate to have because I had a conversation about this with a couple of people and one thought we shouldn't even recruit overseas because their is plenty of talent in the states, the other thought there was no problem as long as an entire team isnt made up of international players. I am on the page of saying having one or two guys from overseas is fine. We have Joe and Harry...i see no issue in that, especially considering we didnt really recruit Joe from England, we recruited him from a JC school.

International influence trickles down to Big Sky basketball
http://skylinesportsmt.com/internationa ... asketball/

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:19 pm

duelalumnicat wrote:Signing Day is Wednesday, April 13. Has anyone heard a hint as to who, if anyone, the Cats will be offering a scholarship? It is my understanding from this thread that some of the possible candidates include PG Jaizec Lottie, PG Amin Adamu, PG Lars Epse, or F Antonio Pilipovic.
I have heard some encouraging things about Lars Epse prospects of singing with the Bobcats, but my main question is he closer to 5-10 or 6-2?

Pilipovic is the dark horse in my mind, I could not find a lot of info/stats that made me say wow go get him. In my gut if we out to get a forward I get a lot more excited about Issac Bonton's teammate Wilfried Likayi who I think all it would take is an offer. Still all that said the coaches pulled there offer from Likayi a while ago, but I hear they are very very high on Pilipovic. He could be a fascinating prospect to watch.

Some one told me that thought Denver to be the leader for Lottie, but if Epse turns down the Cats don't be surprised if we make a late run again.

I am told Adamu most likely not in the picture. Maybe JC or later in the singing period.

My money is on Epse

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:36 pm

As always, mslacat, thanks for the info. Espse sounds like an interesting player. I hope he is closer to 6-2.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 pm

Binford gets Seton Hall transfer.
https://twitter.com/mappelgate206/status/851977622548611072 https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/851986923178426370

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:01 am

So it is the first day of the spring signing period which will continue until May 17th. This is the time period that an player and team can sign a official Letter Of Intent (LOI) which provides both parties (but mostly the schools) certain guarantees. After May 17th a school can still sign a player to a Grant in Aid Offer up until school starts

The women Bobcats seem to have filled their one open scholarship with the commitment of Minnesota native and Seton Hall transfer 5-11 G/F Martha Kuderer. Kunderer only averaged 2 points and 2 rebounds a game last year but did start 2 games. Best Game was against Georgetown where she had 10 points 6 rebounds. As a high school senior she was a Minnesota MS Basketball candidate and was named to the All Minnesota (regardless of class) team. She averaged 18 points and 9 rebounds a game for Chanhassen HS in Eden Prairie MN. Kuderer will have to sit out next year and then have two years of eligibility starting in 18-17. On paper that should fill all 15 of the Bobcat's scholarship. I don not see any indication of an under classman leaving/transferring out so this might complete this years recruiting.

The Men also have only one scholarship to fill. Parker Gabriel has reported that the coaches do not expect to sign a player on the first day (today) of the signing period. It appears they are waiting for some recruits to decided and I have also heard that they may have another player or two in town over the next couple of week-end if they do not get a commitment. Of the players who were in last week I have heard that Portland was also very much interested on 6-6 forward Antonio Pilipovic. The other Lars Epse the only other school I have heard may be recruiting him was U of Alaska Anchorage. Still info on European players is limited so it is tough to know if there are other D-1 schools perusing either.