OC & QB Coach to Utah State?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

OC & QB Coach to Utah State?

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 am

From Twitter, retweeted by mslacat

Philip Jackon ‏@fenderprj
The rumored name for USU's offensive coordinator is Kevin McGiven. He spent last season as the OC and quarterbacks coach at Montana State.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: OC & QB Coach to Utah State?

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:54 am

I was hoping he'd stick around 1 more year. Good thing the AFCA convention is this weekend.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:01 am

That sucks he couldn't be around one more season here. But to be honest I wasn't terribly impressed with the playbook last season either.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 am

He's not gone yet!

Twitter had Andy Reid going to KC but now he will still interview w/ AZ.

But this was retweeted by mslacat so I posted it, he's pretty sharp.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 am

Not a big surprise if true. McGiven used to coach at USU with Wells. Wells was the OC and with Anderson taking most of his staff to Wisconsin that leaves Wells looking for an OC. Since McGiven was the last QB coach he worked with other than the one that departed for Wisconsin, that makes him a logical choice. I'm sure McGiven would double his salary.

If he does go there, I'd love to see McEndoo get the OC position here.

MeerKat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by MeerKat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:31 am

If true, I wish him the best. I was looking forward to see what the offense would look like with a full year to get used to it. The offense had its ups and downs but at least it wasn't as predictable at the end of the season like the previous season.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:41 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:Not a big surprise if true. McGiven used to coach at USU with Wells. Wells was the OC and with Anderson taking most of his staff to Wisconsin that leaves Wells looking for an OC. Since McGiven was the last QB coach he worked with other than the one that departed for Wisconsin, that makes him a logical choice. I'm sure McGiven would double his salary.

If he does go there, I'd love to see McEndoo get the OC position here.
:thumbup: :thumbup: he would be great!!!

I've always wondered what type of offense he would run....but that would be a great hire, he's been here for 12 years, time to see what he can do as a OC.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:51 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:If he does go there, I'd love to see McEndoo get the OC position here.
I'm asking this question from a perspective of no knowledge what-so-ever ... but does McEndoo have excellent skills in terms of playcalling? We all know he's a master OL coach, but does he have that same level of skill for orchestrating an offense? They seem like they could be largely distinct skill sets.

Of course, if it keeps him in Bozeman, that alone would a positive to promoting him.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:If he does go there, I'd love to see McEndoo get the OC position here.
I'm asking this question from a perspective of no knowledge what-so-ever ... but does McEndoo have excellent skills in terms of playcalling? We all know he's a master OL coach, but does he have that same level of skill for orchestrating an offense? They seem like they could be largely distinct skill sets.

Of course, if it keeps him in Bozeman, that alone would a positive to promoting him.
Wasn't it rumored that McEndoo was a little butt hurt about not getting the OC job last season? If that was true, and if he was passed over again, I'm guessing that he might think pretty seriously about going elsewhere, maybe even if it was just a lateral move.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 pm

John K wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

Wasn't it rumored that McEndoo was a little butt hurt about not getting the OC job last season? If that was true, and if he was passed over again, I'm guessing that he might think pretty seriously about going elsewhere, maybe even if it was just a lateral move.
Hopefully he was a "little bit hurt"

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

catdaddy7

Post by catdaddy7 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Last week coach Mac tweeted something about some new opportunities for the coming new year. I tweeted back
that I hoped that the new opportunities keep him in Bozo. No response which is odd for him. ????? Hopefully
we keep him and I'm pretty confident that he'd be a good play caller also. Being's that he's already O-line coach
one would think he has a pretty good handle on what is gonna fly and what isn't because it all revolves around
blocking schemes. I'm gonna light a candle and pray he stays. [-o<

Thank God there's Hockey this year .........

ABQCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ABQCat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Win 11 games and OC moves on... that story plays out with resounding regularity at this level. As for Mac, this is a guy who has seen 4 different OC's roll through the door who all have had success in their own right. This has given him a thorough and general understanding of how the OC position should be executed IMO. I do remember hearing that Mac and McGiven spent a bunch of time together creating schemes and developing game plans, so it seems to me the OJT is there and Mac is more than ready to take on this job. He's got my vote (not that my vote is worth anything at all... :lol: ).

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 pm

One of the bains of having a successful football program. Coaches and assistants are going to be up for the highest bidder including Coach Ash! It opens up new possibilities but I wish he would have stayed another year for DeNarius to have a predictable offense to run. :wink:

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:00 pm

I saw a tweet saying welcome back Kevin McGiven to USU. The report is he is gone to USU!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:31 pm

catsrback76 wrote:One of the bains of having a successful football program. Coaches and assistants are going to be up for the highest bidder including Coach Ash! It opens up new possibilities but I wish he would have stayed another year for DeNarius to have a predictable offense to run. :wink:
Ya DMac will be on his 3rd OC in 4 seasons. 4th OC in 5 if you count his redshirt season...

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 pm

bobcatbob wrote:I saw a tweet saying welcome back Kevin McGiven to USU. The report is he is gone to USU!
I was just all but told the same thing by someone that would know. No big surprise. It's hard to retain people who don't come up through the ranks of your system. First Wright, then McGiven.

To answer BAC's question I would say there are several way to go. Hire an out of work OC or bring one up from a lower division. Bring up one of your own coaches, usually a QB coach or OL coach. Then there's bringing in someone else's QB coach from a team from the same level.

I'm not saying Mac will be some kind of wizard OC, but based what we've seen him do with his OL there has to be a great deal of football smarts in there and I don't think it's limited to coaching up linemen. It's kind of like playing Black Jack...I say double-down on Mac.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:37 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:One of the bains of having a successful football program. Coaches and assistants are going to be up for the highest bidder including Coach Ash! It opens up new possibilities but I wish he would have stayed another year for DeNarius to have a predictable offense to run. :wink:
Ya DMac will be on his 3rd OC in 4 seasons. 4th OC in 5 if you count his redshirt season...
DMac is an OC. :D This would be a great time to get hired as MSU's OC.

bpcats20

Post by bpcats20 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:57 pm

If we keep Coach Mac and he becomes the OC I could see Ash hiring a QB coach that would coach the passing game and QB's. On game day Coach Mac would call the plays but the offensive playbook would be a collaboration.

However, MSU's playbook is probably pretty well developed by now for both the run game and passing game...so Coach Mac could be OC and just hire a QB coach.

Either way this sucks...but not surprised.

USUonU
New Recruit

Post by USUonU » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:10 pm

USU fan here. I'm curious what you guys thought of your offense this year and of McGiven? How many bubble screens did he run per game?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:15 pm

USUonU wrote:USU fan here. I'm curious what you guys thought of your offense this year and of McGiven? How many bubble screens did he run per game?
Like, 2.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast