A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Miss Rodeo Montana Gets Booed

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:00 pm

Miss Rodeo Montana gets mixed reaction

By Tom Stuber - IR Staff Writer - 8/03/04

Carrying the United States flag, Miss Rodeo-Montana Sarah Wilkins introduced herself to the lively crowd at the Last Chance Stampede pronouncing that she was a graduate of Montana State University and was proud to be a Bobcat. What started out as a nice ovation became intermixed with some boo-birds, no doubt from University of Montana alums.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:11 pm

The headline for a column on Foxnews.com for tomorrow:

Montana Crowd Boos Stars and Stripes

Democrats and French people in attendance said to be suspected culprits
Last edited by SonomaCat on Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:15 pm

And to keep with the typical partisan nature of our country today, I must ask, why do Griz fans hate America?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:06 pm

Because they are Hate-riots, like the Folx on Faux New Channel. I think I saw Bill O'Reilly in the stands with a Griz cap on.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:23 pm

That's too bad. I knew Sarah and had several classes with her. She's a good fun-loving gal that works hard. For them to boo someone like that is absolutely assinine. I say boo on them. If there is ever a time to show a little class, that would be it. What a bunch of losers.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:40 pm

You have to take into consideration the mob mentality that exists at UM and is part of the fan base at any school with a continued success in such areas as football. Many UM fans (mostly non-native, non-alum) really are out of the woodwork and can't differentiate between having worked for something and having it handed to them. UM wins, therefore they like UM. So they will boo anything related to MSU, even Rodeo Queens.

There are also a lot of UM fans who went to school there and have what most of us feel is the proper perspective on these things. They are the ones who don't boo the Rodeo Queen, Santa Claus and Mickey Mouse.

However, I was there and it was sort of funny in a twisted way and she did seem to be enjoying both responses. I'm guessing she has been saying the same thing at every rodeo she goes to and gets the same result. The intial roar was much louder than the following boos, so that should say something.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:58 pm

You guys are so right. If she were a UM grad and said the same sort of thing near Bozeman, she surely wouldn't have been boo'd because Cat fans are the classiest around and would never do anything like that. :shock:

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:45 am

1aa you're an ass. I try to get everybody who moves to this state to see a Griz game and become a Griz fan. You call yourself 1aa but it sounds like all you want is out of state people sitting around on saturday watching Michigan & Miami on TV instead of becoming a Griz fan and going to the game. So far my score is Maine 1, 2 South Dakota, 2 Texas (father is a MSU grade HA, HA), 2 Mn. That's 7 people that attend 1 or 2 Griz games a year and love it. So screw off with your non-alumni, non-montana crap. Maybe Bozeman could sell out a game once in a while if the town of non alumni Bozoangles would come out and see your 7-6 fighting cats. By the way both people in my office with cat season tickets didn't even attend one class at Bozo. The 4 Grizz ticket holders all are Alumni

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:46 am

jagur1 wrote:1aa you're an ass. I try to get everybody who moves to this state to see a Griz game and become a Griz fan. You call yourself 1aa but it sounds like all you want is out of state people sitting around on saturday watching Michigan & Miami on TV instead of becoming a Griz fan and going to the game. So far my score is Maine 1, 2 South Dakota, 2 Texas (father is a MSU grade HA, HA), 2 Mn. That's 7 people that attend 1 or 2 Griz games a year and love it. So screw off with your non-alumni, non-montana crap. Maybe Bozeman could sell out a game once in a while if the town of non alumni Bozoangles would come out and see your 7-6 fighting cats. By the way both people in my office with cat season tickets didn't even attend one class at Bozo. The 4 Grizz ticket holders all are Alumni
You're exactly right Shag, we won't be selling out every home game and building more seats until we start consistently winning and making the playoffs. Same way in Missoula. If you had over a decade of average to below-average football teams, capped off with an 0-11 season, you wouldn't have half the people in that stadium and you know it. It's a bandwagon state and everybody knows it. If the unimaginable occured and the Grizzlies took a serious dive and watched the Bobcats go deep into the playoffs for a few years, we'd have 20,000+ fans at our games too. Unfortunately though, half of them would be bandwagoners that used to be Griz season-ticket holders when they were winning. Does anybody seriously think that's not the case?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:15 am

catatac: I agree. I just don't like people putting on airs. "Oh your not good enough to be a cat fan (griz fan) becouse......insert reason now"

Now the next time I hit you about a kid from cali remember it's just a dig. :D That may be a reason Jason left, he had so much fun with all the kids from the left coast he decided he wanted to go to school on the coast. :D

Four

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:11 pm

Jagur: No, there are many out of state people who went to MSU and UM that have paid their dues. My comments weren't directed at only UM fans, but all fans who jump on board with teams that are doing well. I just don't care for the lemmings (anywhere) who see everyone else doing something and then dive in head first buying up every piece of logo gear they can get their hands on. That's just not my kind of guy. I certainly wouldn't do that as it seems pretty cheesy. And I can imagine those people will be the first to bail out and start de-riding the team when things aren't going perfect. You can enjoy football without jumping from one band wagon to the other and just trying to hang with the "IN" crowd. I have favorite teams and have stuck with them from Day 1 win-or-lose, knowing that losing it was makes winning taste that much sweeter. I enjoy the game regardless of how many people are in the stands and that doesn't mean I don't like large crowds. So you have what - 9 - bandwagon friends? That's great. I'm sure they're real nice people, but I just can't relate to that. My post was an explanation to others who were ripping on those booing the rodeo queen. I also mentioned that I think that was the response she expected. But UM just seems to have that mentality lately and the fans seem pretty aloof...as if someone has the nerve to say they are proud to be a Bobcat, so they boo.

I'm neither a Cat or a Griz, but I enjoy 'watching' both. MSU is fun 'partly' because they're trying to build a program, UM 'partly' because they are a highly successful one. MSU doesn't have to be over 7-6 for me to enjoy watching them, I watched them when they were 0-11 and drew a lot of inspiration from that. Joe Glenn is one of my favorite coaches. The bottom line is that a lot of UM fans are the prima donnas of all fans I've ever met. I know a lot of nice Griz fans, but the there are a lot who have an attitude. More so than any fan base I know of. The rodeo queen thing was just another example.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:33 pm

iaafan: Got no love do you? :D

As far as the Queen: Who was being aloof by saying what she said the way she said it? You said it, she got what she wanted.

Anyway I guess I was still pissed from your most wanted thread. It seemed to me you wanted to show the Griz problems and forget about the cat problems. The problem being Griz problems get 10 times the attention. (see Hillard on egriz) People tend to rattle of 10 Griz transactions and can't remember the cat problems, since the chomical doesn't report them. So I'm going to be the first to say I'm sorry.
I'm still hoping for enough Band wagon fans so both Cat & Griz stadiums fill up every home weekend. (only I hope the cats lose).

Four

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:33 pm

jagur1 wrote:catatac: I agree. I just don't like people putting on airs. "Oh your not good enough to be a cat fan (griz fan) becouse......insert reason now"

Now the next time I hit you about a kid from cali remember it's just a dig. :D That may be a reason Jason left, he had so much fun with all the kids from the left coast he decided he wanted to go to school on the coast. :D
Cool, we kind of agree then! :wink: The bandwagon thing is annoying to me too, on both sides. I live in Great Falls, a major Bandwagon town, and I have witnessed some unbelieveble things. An aquaintence of mine was a die-hard, Maroon & Sliver, Griz rule Cats suck fan a few years ago. Go Griz all the way. I saw him at the Bobcat Scramble golf tourney reception with a bobcat hat, shirt, and vest saying Poor Grizzlies, Cat's Rule. True story. It's almost embarrasing.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:10 pm

Jagur: The reason I started that thread was to give everyone a chance to post all the stuff they knew of relating crime to their sports programs. Seems every time someone gets in trouble the opposing side says that school is 'always' in trouble. My memory is that UM players have gotten in more trouble than MSU players, but that's just my memory and not fact. I agree that perhaps the Missoulian does a better job of getting these kinds of stories out, but maybe not. I think the list I was making gave everyone a chance to contribute. It was fair in that regard, but didn't get a lot of interest, so I don't draw any conclusion from it.