Board rules and code of conduct

Give us your thoughts on bobcatnation.com and look here for announcements from the staff.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Board rules and code of conduct

Post by KittieKop » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:17 pm

Can we get on with discussing substantive topics and quit with the name calling? Anyone else tiring of the hostility of this place lately? Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm sick of seeing people being called idiots and losers because they happen to disagree what a self-appointed expert spokesman has to say.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Board rules and code of conduct

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:38 pm

KittieKop wrote:Can we get on with discussing substantive topics and quit with the name calling? Anyone else tiring of the hostility of this place lately? Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm sick of seeing people being called idiots and losers because they happen to disagree what a self-appointed expert spokesman has to say.
Agreed. Can we also get back to having objective discussion about play on the field without being accused of being an anonymous player basher? If you're talking about them as a person in their personal life, that's one thing, but if their play on the field is no longer up for discussion, it begs the question. Why have this board?

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Board rules and code of conduct

Post by kmax » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:20 am

Absolutely would love that. As a mod there is a very fine line we walk as well in all of this. We try to step in when someone takes either of those scenarios too far, but if we did it every time someone said something or called someone an idiot we would A) be on here non-stop doing nothing but that and B) kill absolutely any flow of conversation that is had.

This board and the posters on it are what has made it so great. We have always kind of asked you to help by policing yourselves to a degree. As we have grown and gotten more posters some don't understand that unfortunately. I'd just ask that you help us out in a few ways. If you see it, don't respond in kind but when making a post remind them of the same things each of you has said here. If it continues, report the poster to us either through the reporting mechanism on a post or directly through a PM or email. Set an example and ensure that you are doing any of the things that you mentioned, including when interacting with the trolls.

This board is built upon people having opinions. For those that are open minded enough to actually look at someone else's opinion and think about it, there is a lot to be learned. Even without agreeing you can be civil and allow for other viewpoints.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon