Too Funny

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Too Funny

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:49 am

I got a good laugh out of this one. I saw Rent several years ago, and thought it was great. I don't really remember any simulated oral or anal sex, but I imagine one could pull that from any dance number if they were that easily shocked.

Lesson to the wise... there is some adult content in Broadway musicals ('cause they are made for adults). If you can't handle that, stick to Disney on Ice... or at least find out what the show is about before you show up and leave in disgust at the sight of two men kissing (in a show specifically about gays and AIDS). I am sure somebody else with a little more cultural awareness would have loved to use those seats.

It's also kind of sad that someone who feels it necessary to attach the title of "Dr." to their name in a letter that has nothing to do with their profession would find it necessary to act outraged that the production didn't provide him with any information in advance about the content of the production (I assume he is looking for a warning label for those who are disgusted by things not expressly condoned by the Book of Leviticus?). Wouldn't someone of that educational stature have the ability and knowledge to obtain that kind of information on their own? Don't they have the internet... or friends who have seen the show before? I have a feeling that everybody else who bought tickets figured it out pretty well on their own.

http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articl ... s/rent.txt
Last edited by SonomaCat on Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

velochat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by velochat » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:27 am

I generally don't have a lot of sympathy for prudes, but I agree with them that maybe they should have labelled the play for mature audiences, so folks looking for winnie the pooh pablum could choose to stay home. I guess these folks learned to check out their entertainment in advance in the future.

I sure wouldn't want these kinds of plays or entertainment excluded. There are far too many people who don't appreciate the first amendment and want to compromise our rights in their quest to complete implementation of a fundamentalist theocracy in the US.