Resume tips for Job Seekers

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Resume tips for Job Seekers

Post by mslacat » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:27 pm

Ok I want to take a minute of time from who ever reads this. The topic will
start out on submitting resume and then go more specific to Design professionals. Now I
am not a resume expert, but I do read them and evaluate them. The info that I am about
to give should not taken as a guide to great resumes but as the absolete bare minimum effort that
should be given to preparing a resume if you ever hope to get a job. I am a very small
time business man who hires on my own personal experience as an employer. I am sure
BAC or some of the others here who have jobs in big corporate America can read you all
sorts of stats and reports about correct resume protocol, but that is not how I approach it.
First of all I just got done reviewing 8 resume for a professional position and I am deeply
disappointed.

1st If you received a degree from a college of lets say "Arts and Architecture" PLEASE
indicate some where some how what your field was! i.e. Interior Design, Ceramics, or
Architecture. Don't try to weasel your way into a Architectural position when your degree
is in ceramics. It just tends to tick off the person doing the hiring.

2nd At the very least, for a professional position, Xerox white paper does not impress
anyone. Take it to a Kinko's and copy on to something else and try to make it look some
what square to the page.

3rd Grade school names are not needed under education.

4th Do not put references on your resumes that you are not sure you want me to call!

5th Correct address and Phone numbers so I can call you for an interview. " Like dude, Joe hasn't lived hear since the break, ya naw !" just does not cut it!

6th Design Professional attach a couple 8 1/2" x 11" examples of work (school or
professional). I had a woman in the low side in the maybe file, because of weak
resumes but asked her to bring in some example of work and then quickly realized she
should be in the must interview pile.

Employers really are looking for the "best" candidates for a position, but the resume is all
we have for that first cut. We can not interview everyone. Make it very informative, but
concise, sell yourself, and give the employer a reason to get exited about interviewing
you.

Oh yea.... The most important rule.

Don't go giving out your resume in the home town college football folder. While the
whole town maybe crazy about their football team there is a chance the person you giving
it to does not share their enthusiasm for the team!!

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Resume tips for Job Seekers

Post by kmax » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:38 pm

mslacat wrote: Oh yea.... The most important rule.

Don't go giving out your resume in the home town college football folder. While the
whole town maybe crazy about their football team there is a chance the person you giving
it to does not share their enthusiasm for the team!!
Now that's funny. :lol: Straight to the round bin just for being a Griz fan.
Last edited by kmax on Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:43 pm

mslacat: Didn't you also tell us a story a few years ago about a guy coming in to interview with you wearing a Griz tie? That was pretty funny as well.

I have to admit, I kind of did something like that once without really thinking about it. I made some sarcastic comment (in good humor, of course) to a partner I was interviewing with about the Griz. He then said "Be careful, you never know when you might be talking to one of them!" I got the job, so it wasn't a career limiting move, but it reinforces the idea that going "bland" on your college sports loyalties is probalby the best approach when interviewing for a job.