Taking issue with MslaCat's credo about Clinton's lie

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

briannell
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by briannell » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:20 am

BAC "thank you" for your support. He can be a little intense, as we have lost several service members that he knew. Hard to know that for every single soldier killed as many as 10 service members are injured in some fashion.

As for us being a "lone wolf" we will never again go in under the UN flag if we are not in charge. Our soldiers were slaughtered last attempt and we will not risk our troops like that again.

Personally, I respect the Presidency itself, not always the man. Clinton although immoral in his actions, still achieved some large milestones for our country and that deserves respect. Same for Bush, or whoever gets elected this time around. you may not agree with the party incharge, but at least we had a vote in it unlike millions around the world.

Rebecca

Rebecca
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Please donate to PEDS cancer research-
a cure is just around the bend

support mastiff rescue
www.mastiff.org

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:52 am

All of these conversations leave me really conflicted. In most of my social circles, I am the one who has to defend the conservative/Bush/military position from what I consider to be unfair attacks by people who I think are taking cheap shots at them. In this series, I got riled up by what I interpreted to be unfair shots at Kerry.

I guess that means that in virtually every group of people, I can manage to piss somebody off by wanting to play devil's advocate to the opposite extreme. That might not win me any prizes for Mr. Congeniality.

That being said, I really do appreciate everybody who has posted in these political threads. Unlike most political conversations these days, I think these threads have had some very, very well thought out and well articulated comments, and we have avoided (for the most part) the useless mindless talking point sound bites and name calling that marks too much of our political discourse these days. It's really nice to read posts from people, especially those that I don't necessarily agree with completely, and learn something in the process.

The fact that two of the posters here are in the military brings us a very unique perspective on things as well, and I apologize if any of my comments seemed disrespectful to you in your professional roles -- that wasn't my intent. I do understand that when you are putting your life on the line for a mission, it's important to believe in the mission, and that a lot of the nuances that we have the luxury of discussing/complaining/bitching about really must appear to be frivilous when put up against the life and death issues that are more immediate in your reality.

The mission itself is a good and noble one in Iraq, and likewise in Afghanistan. I hope that both are completed successfully and with minimal loss of life. Years from now, I hope both countries will look upon us as friends who helped bring them into the world of freedom and democracy. I hope all Americans and everyone in the rest of the free world feels the same way.

We may debate the details and the semantics of the administrative decisions made by people in office and who is the best person for that job, but I hope that we as a country never repeat the mistakes made by many people during and following Vietnam with respect to the treatment of the soldiers coming back from the war and that we never treat the members of our military with anything less than the utmost respect.

Dissent is often a good thing. Disrespect never is.
Last edited by SonomaCat on Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

'93HonoluluCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by '93HonoluluCat » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:26 pm

That being said, I really do appreciate everybody who has posted in these political threads. Unlike most political conversations these days, I think these threads have had some very, very well thought out and well articulated comments, and we have avoided (for the most part) the useless mindless talking point sound bites and name calling that marks too much of our political discourse these days. It's really nice to read posts from people, especially those that I don't necessarily agree with completely, and learn something in the process.

The fact that two of the posters here are in the military brings us a very unique perspective on things as well, and I apologize if any of my comments seemed disrespectful to you in your professional roles -- that wasn't my intent. I do understand that when you are putting your life on the line for a mission, it's important to believe in the mission, and that a lot of the nuances that we have the luxury of discussing/complaining/bitching about really must appear to be frivilous when put up against the life and death issues that are more immediate in your reality.

The mission itself is a good and noble one in Iraq, and likewise in Afghanistan. I hope that both are completed successfully and with minimal loss of life. Years from now, I hope both countries will look upon us as friends who helped bring them into the world of freedom and democracy. I hope all Americans and everyone in the rest of the free world feels the same way.

We may debate the details and the semantics of the administrative decisions made by people in office and who is the best person for that job, but I hope that we as a country never repeat the mistakes made by many people during and following Vietnam with respect to the treatment of the soldiers coming back from the war and that we never treat the members of our military with anything less than the utmost respect.

Dissent is often a good thing. Disrespect never is.
Well said.

'93HonoluluCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by '93HonoluluCat » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:27 pm

Now let's talk about something serious...

Go Cats--beat the Rams!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:36 am

Comments from others close to the situation, including Colin Powell:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6126518/