Mountain Con

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

Mountain Con

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:30 pm

I am listening to KEXP out of Seattle online, and they have the guys from Mountain Con in the studio talking about their new CD that is coming out today. They keep talking about Montana, and apparently came from Montana originally (now based in Seattle).

Does anyone know anything about them?

My coworker has apparently seen them live and has their CD -- he's seen everyone, I think.

They sound pretty good.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:35 pm

Never heard of them - what kind of music? When I first read that I thought of the Mission Mountain Wood Band, a Montana classic if anyone's ever heard them. Probably not related to this though.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:43 pm

It was kind of hard to explain -- sort of rock/blues/country type stuff. My co-worker is going to bring in his CD tomorrow, so I'll give them a complete listen them.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:56 pm

Google is your friend.

http://www.mountainconsolidated.com/index.html

They have a pretty cool sound, would be interested in hearing more of their music.

An interesting, if not confusing, description of Mountain Con taken from musicforamerica.org:
The name Mountain Con (taken from a Copper Mine in Butte Montana) is a fitting moniker for a band that mines the ore of culture, drilling shafts deep into the roots of American Music. They are laboratory workers with sonic safety masks in their upright, locked position. They are folk singers with microchips in their skulls. They are the DJ's who cried in the barnyard. They are the Bob Dylan mutations revived on an electro-folk planet not yet discovered. Now it is time to let Mountain Con's music do what it was designed to do--to go off in people's brains and hearts like little remote control bombs, the words flying straight to the brain, the beat flying straight to the animal heart.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

briannell
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

montana bands

Post by briannell » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:40 pm

Don't know mountain con, but MSU alumni Shane Clouse and his band Stomping Ground have a great CD.

www.shaneclouse.com
for MP3 snips

Rebecca Nell

Rebecca
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Please donate to PEDS cancer research-
a cure is just around the bend

support mastiff rescue
www.mastiff.org

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:04 pm

I didn't know Shane had a band now. I have his last CD, and last time I exchanged emails with him, he was working on another. That's good to hear that things are going well for him. He is a frat brother of mine.

geogfather
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by geogfather » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:34 pm

My friends brother is in Mountia con. It is short for mountain consolidated and they ge thier name frome something haveing to do witht eh butte mines, but I cant rememver. i saw em live at the ritz in misosula once. I like and think its pretty good stuff. It is hard to explain when it comes to thier music though. For a good example, try to find the song "goodbye cadillac"
Last edited by geogfather on Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:35 am

I've been listening to their "The MC Stands for Revolution" album, and I really like it. It's still really hard to describe. It's kind of a rock/blues/hip hop sort of vibe with a little Black Crowes feeling layered in. Whatever it is, it works pretty well. I'll have to check out their new album the next time I make it to a record store that carries the more obscure albums (not Border's, in other words).
Last edited by SonomaCat on Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.