Carnegie Classification

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Carnegie Classification

Post by catbooster » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm

I recall a thread here about losing this status a couple years ago. Looks like we've gotten it back.

http://www.montana.edu/news/18318/
MSU is one of 130 universities nationwide – out of 4,338 U.S. higher education institutions – to be included in this category. And of those, MSU and the University of California at Santa Cruz are the only two universities whose Carnegie enrollment profile is “very high undergraduate.”

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Carnegie Classification

Post by RickRund » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:34 pm

catbooster wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:42 pm
I recall a thread here about losing this status a couple years ago. Looks like we've gotten it back.

http://www.montana.edu/news/18318/
MSU is one of 130 universities nationwide – out of 4,338 U.S. higher education institutions – to be included in this category. And of those, MSU and the University of California at Santa Cruz are the only two universities whose Carnegie enrollment profile is “very high undergraduate.”
WOW... =D^ =D^ =D^

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Wow is right. It's an especially tricky balancing act to excel in research and undergraduate education. And football!

El Profesor
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by El Profesor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:01 pm

I've not too much time to engage in any current conversation about MSU's return to the top tier. But, I need to jump in here quickly and laud Montana State University and President Cruzado on MSU's return to the top tier of research rankings, as I was the first to draw this website's attention to the Carnegie Rankings a few years ago when MSU lost this important status.

In the interim, a handful of star research faculty left and some very talented faculty and students probably declined opportunities to join MSU, but now MSU has re-established its top status and any associated lure for prospective new faculty and students.

I enjoyed Doctor Don's commentary following my original post on the topic a few years ago. Dr. Don was an icon during my undergrad' years at MSU. I’m not sure if he was tenured, tenure-track, or adjunct faculty. Regardless, he was iconic.

Good job, MSU! Go 'Cats!

(Moderators: In my opinion, this topic seems more appropriate to the “Discussing the Issues” forum, where the thread about MSU's loss of this status resides.)