MSU Student Drama

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

MSU Student Drama

Post by wbtfg » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:16 am

It seems the ASMSU Student Body President recently was arrested for a DUI. Lots of drama unfolding around the MSU campus about what should happen now. One camp demanding she step down, another camp saying that this is a good opportunity to be a role model on how to learn from mistakes, and with all things ASMSU a huge majority of people who didn't know msu had a student government....haha.

http://msuexponent.com/news/2015/09/02/ ... s-for-dui/

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: MSU Student Drama

Post by TIrwin24 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:27 am

Bad representation for the Students. She should resign immediately simply because her decision-making skills (or lack-thereof).

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:57 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:Bad representation for the Students. She should resign immediately simply because her decision-making skills (or lack-thereof).
I don't have an opinion on what she should do, but decision making at that age was not my long suit.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:15 pm

Nor was spelling apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:48 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:Nor was spelling apparently.

?

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:50 pm

"long suit". ^

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:07 pm

I think if DUI was a criteria for a representative in government to step down, there'd be a number of empty seats each session in the Montana legislature. I'm OK with her making a mistake. Its what she does with it from here that matters to me.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:24 am

I hope she stays, this continued over reaction to DUIs is ALMOST as bad as cops intimidating and beating the people they are paid to protect.

Her DUI means absolutely nothing to MSU, Montana or the general public. DUIs are 99% about revenue, its a "tax" nobody will "argue" with.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:07 am

My problem with it is pretty simple.

If you drink, don't freakin' drive.

Plain and simple.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:22 am

KittieKop wrote:I think if DUI was a criteria for a representative in government to step down, there'd be a number of empty seats each session in the Montana legislature. I'm OK with her making a mistake. Its what she does with it from here that matters to me.
I completely agree, lots of people make really stupid lapses in judgement and are still great people with a lot of really great characteristics. I say let her prove her worth from here, she could be a great spokesperson on the stupidity of drinking and driving.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:39 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
KittieKop wrote:I think if DUI was a criteria for a representative in government to step down, there'd be a number of empty seats each session in the Montana legislature. I'm OK with her making a mistake. Its what she does with it from here that matters to me.
I completely agree, lots of people make really stupid lapses in judgement and are still great people with a lot of really great characteristics. I say let her prove her worth from here, she could be a great spokesperson on the stupidity of drinking and driving.

That's kind of where I fall as well.

I remember back in college I was pulled over for a headlight that was out. I had 3 drinks in me and didn't feel at all buzzed. I passed all of the field sobriety test with flying colors, but was still asked to blow as I had told the officer I had 3 drinks that night. I blew a .065, and I remember being shocked that one more drink likely would have put me over the edge even though I didn't feel the slightest bit impaired and the field sobriety test confirmed I wasn't impaired. Ever since then I've been really careful about limiting myself to 2 drinks.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:12 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:"long suit". ^

Sorry, still lost.http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/long%20suit

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:51 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:My problem with it is pretty simple.

If you drink, don't freakin' drive.

Plain and simple.
Right... Don't drink and drive

Drink THEN drive

Got it
:thumbup"

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by D-Wreck » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:31 pm

I worked in the ASMSU office for four years. There's only one difference between Ms. Simeniuk and some previous student body presidents. She got caught. You expand that to the Senate and student committee chairs, and she's in fine company. Most of those folks I worked with have gone on to some amazing things. Yes, it was stupid. But she's certainly not the first and won't be the last. She should be very happy no one got hurt but calling for her to resign is a little silly IMHO.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:31 am

[emoji106][emoji106]

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:30 am

wbtfg wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

That's kind of where I fall as well.

I remember back in college I was pulled over for a headlight that was out. I had 3 drinks in me and didn't feel at all buzzed. I passed all of the field sobriety test with flying colors, but was still asked to blow as I had told the officer I had 3 drinks that night. I blew a .065, and I remember being shocked that one more drink likely would have put me over the edge even though I didn't feel the slightest bit impaired and the field sobriety test confirmed I wasn't impaired. Ever since then I've been really careful about limiting myself to 2 drinks.
In many cases, even 2 drinks could put a person over .08. Obviously there are many contributing factors, i.e. body weight, how fast the drinks are consumed, whether or not you eat something while drinking, alcohol content of the drinks (big difference between 2 Bud Lights and 2 Cold Smokes, for example), etc. But I'd be willing to bet that for a 110 pound girl (just as an example), two drinks would easily be enough to be over the legal limit in most cases. If they ever set up a checkpoint for drivers as they were leaving Bobcat Stadium or Wa-Griz after a football game, I'd bet a significant percentage would blow .08 or higher.