Bozeman is in top 20 Richest Towns in USA

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Bozeman is in top 20 Richest Towns in USA

Post by 4thecats » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:01 pm

I find it sad that Bozeman is ranked by Forbes as one of the top 20 Richest small towns in America, but we can't tap into the local community to raise enough money to redo the sideline stands...

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bozeman is in top 20 Richest Towns in USA

Post by gtapp » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:09 pm

I was looking at home listings in Bozeman yesterday. I was surprised by the prices.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:31 pm

4thecats wrote:I find it sad that Bozeman is ranked by Forbes as one of the top 20 Richest small towns in America, but we can't tap into the local community to raise enough money to redo the sideline stands...
I think the most likely reason that we can't tap into the local community is that all the people (most of the people?) that put Bozeman in the top 20 richest small town are relocates. Meaning they have no ties to the Bozeman area besides the ski hill and the scenic views. They probably send all their college donations to the school that they went to, like USC or U of Texas... :D

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:34 pm

4thecats wrote:I find it sad that Bozeman is ranked by Forbes as one of the top 20 Richest small towns in America, but we can't tap into the local community to raise enough money to redo the sideline stands...
The money that is in Bozeman is a lot of the people that go to Seattle or Portland during the week for business. There's a lot of commuting out of Bozeman for work. Its a different town. True story. I went and had sushi a few weeks ago and I felt way out of place because I wasn't a hipster. Its turning into a hipster town. Hipsters doen't go to football games, and they don't give money to the stadium.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:04 pm

lutecat wrote:
The money that is in Bozeman is a lot of the people that go to Seattle or Portland during the week for business. There's a lot of commuting out of Bozeman for work. Its a different town. True story. I went and had sushi a few weeks ago and I felt way out of place because I wasn't a hipster. Its turning into a hipster town. Hipsters doen't go to football games, and they don't give money to the stadium.
Sushi, in Bozeman? Who's the hipster?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:07 pm

Sushi, CRAP, bring back Manny's Burger Inn.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 pm

Bozeman has really change in my opinion since I graduated in 93. Although it is a very beautiful area, I just couldn't live in Bozeman, probably because I wouldn't fit in. I'm not a hipster :evil:

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:26 pm

allcat wrote:
lutecat wrote:
Well....one of my rolls was cooked if that makes a difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:55 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:Bozeman has really change in my opinion since I graduated in 93. Although it is a very beautiful area, I just couldn't live in Bozeman, probably because I wouldn't fit in. I'm not a hipster :evil:
I graduated from MSU in 93' as well and I totally agree with you. Its a great place to visit, but the feel has totally changed (especially when football games are not in town and you don't get that small town feel back). I end up going out in Livingston a lot more as it still has that Bozeman feel from the past. It is a beautiful area that has been discovered. It is what it is I guess. I love to go up to the games and visit, but it just doesn't feel the same to me except on game weekends. This probably doesn't belong on the Football thread, but it is interesting that I am not alone in having those feelings as I am a die hard Bobcat fan.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:33 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
WeedKillinCat wrote:Bozeman has really change in my opinion since I graduated in 93. Although it is a very beautiful area, I just couldn't live in Bozeman, probably because I wouldn't fit in. I'm not a hipster :evil:
I graduated from MSU in 93' as well and I totally agree with you. Its a great place to visit, but the feel has totally changed (especially when football games are not in town and you don't get that small town feel back). I end up going out in Livingston a lot more as it still has that Bozeman feel from the past. It is a beautiful area that has been discovered. It is what it is I guess. I love to go up to the games and visit, but it just doesn't feel the same to me except on game weekends. This probably doesn't belong on the Football thread, but it is interesting that I am not alone in having those feelings as I am a die hard Bobcat fan.
My entire family was born in Glasgow and my parents migrated to the Gallatin in the late 50s and I was raised there during the 60s and finally went to MSU in the 70s. After separating from Active Duty in the 80s I definitely felt the change, especially in athletics. Rumor has it the locker Jim Sweeney bounced a kid off a few times is still there when the kid told him he was going to quit. The biggest change I felt upon returning to the Gallatin was the disconnect with the college and the community as Cardiac alludes to and the air of arrogance or the inflated sense of self worth if you will I encountered by so many in the athletic department and within the various schools--kind of like what Missoula was experiencing prior to their most recent public humiliation.

But, just as Glasgow basically dried up when the Air Base and all their radar sites closed and what is happening in and around Great Falls with Malmstrom, I like to think it's cyclical out here with all the space we have. I spent the last weekend in Butte and to view all those beautiful buildings one could quite possibly get for back taxes sitting vacant is kind of sad to me. Butte is only 90 miles from Bozo and the infrstructure is already there and when you compare real estate prices around the state, it's a great value for someone with just a little drive and determination. Plus, I doubt you'll ever experience a more loyal group of people. The Gallatin, the Bitterroot and the Flathead are trendy and hip, but older Montana born and raised individuals still appreciate the old Montana with no apparent class distinctions being made.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:55 pm

I have lived in Bozeman since the late 80's and I still really do love it. the problem is for many of us, it's just getting too expensive to live in. everything we build caters to the rich and the middle class and even upper middle class seems to be getting pushed aside. $2000+ mortgage payments are the norm and it's downright depressing to look at other areas and see the home you can get for that kind of money. here that money gets you a very nice, but often pretty small 3 bed/3 bath home.

as much as I love it here, I'm betting that if we can last until our kids our out of high school we'll likely have to move on where living expenses are a little more reasonable. still think it's great here though.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:08 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
I think the most likely reason that we can't tap into the local community is that all the people (most of the people?) that put Bozeman in the top 20 richest small town are relocates. Meaning they have no ties to the Bozeman area besides the ski hill and the scenic views. They probably send all their college donations to the school that they went to, like USC or U of Texas... :D
This. Moreover, many houses are second and third homes that rarely see continuous occupancy.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:15 pm

ilovethecats wrote:I have lived in Bozeman since the late 80's and I still really do love it. the problem is for many of us, it's just getting too expensive to live in. everything we build caters to the rich and the middle class and even upper middle class seems to be getting pushed aside. $2000+ mortgage payments are the norm and it's downright depressing to look at other areas and see the home you can get for that kind of money. here that money gets you a very nice, but often pretty small 3 bed/3 bath home.

as much as I love it here, I'm betting that if we can last until our kids our out of high school we'll likely have to move on where living expenses are a little more reasonable. still think it's great here though.
That is cool you still enjoy living there. Don't get me wrong I still love Bozeman. I only visit for all the football games and 2-3 times outside of football season so mine opinion is just a small sample size. I guess I am just being kind of nostalgic. I don't get that feeling on game day weekends as you get a host of crowds from all over the state, but the times I have been there in the summer it just feels different when going out downtown and stuff. I'm from a small town so maybe I'm just thinking it doesn't feel as small town feel anymore (at least downtown at night). Buy BOY do I miss the outdoors recreation being so close to the city though :)

It is such a nice place you knew it would eventually get discovered. :)

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:16 pm

St George wrote:Sushi, CRAP, bring back Manny's Burger Inn.
Egg burger and hash browns were pretty damn tasty. To bad Manny didn't pay his taxes. It would of stayed open a lot longer.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:26 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:I have lived in Bozeman since the late 80's and I still really do love it. the problem is for many of us, it's just getting too expensive to live in. everything we build caters to the rich and the middle class and even upper middle class seems to be getting pushed aside. $2000+ mortgage payments are the norm and it's downright depressing to look at other areas and see the home you can get for that kind of money. here that money gets you a very nice, but often pretty small 3 bed/3 bath home.

That is cool you still enjoy living there. Don't get me wrong I still love Bozeman. I only visit for all the football games and 2-3 times outside of football season so mine opinion is just a small sample size. I guess I am just being kind of nostalgic. I don't get that feeling on game day weekends as you get a host of crowds from all over the state, but the times I have been there in the summer it just feels different when going out downtown and stuff. I'm from a small town so maybe I'm just thinking it doesn't feel as small town feel anymore (at least downtown at night). Buy BOY do I miss the outdoors recreation being so close to the city though :)

I've lived in Bozeman since 1989 and work in the building industry, and I can assure you that the reports of Bozeman's death are greatly exaggerated. Actual numbers (e.g. long term housing prices, census economic data) tell a different story. Those of you who lived here in 1990 must not remember that it was impossible to get groceries after 9 at night. And that the Cats struggled to put 1700 fans in the bleachers, let alone 17000.

FWIW, don't put too much stock in the list: Evanston WY ranks #31, Sheridan WY ranks #34, and Helena ranks #39. Williston ND, with an average income in the $70k only ranks #45, two spots below Kalispell. I'm calling this (and all your slander about hipsters & the building community :D ) a molehill at best.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:36 am

onceacat wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:

I've lived in Bozeman since 1989 and work in the building industry, and I can assure you that the reports of Bozeman's death are greatly exaggerated. Actual numbers (e.g. long term housing prices, census economic data) tell a different story. Those of you who lived here in 1990 must not remember that it was impossible to get groceries after 9 at night. And that the Cats struggled to put 1700 fans in the bleachers, let alone 17000.

FWIW, don't put too much stock in the list: Evanston WY ranks #31, Sheridan WY ranks #34, and Helena ranks #39. Williston ND, with an average income in the $70k only ranks #45, two spots below Kalispell. I'm calling this (and all your slander about hipsters & the building community :D ) a molehill at best.
To be completely fair, the building industry, development, and urban sprawl have all contributed to the demographic shift experienced in the past 25 years. The farming and ranching community has gradually been replaced by homes (both cookie cutter and elite monstrosities) and strip malls.

One has to look no further than the old Triple Tree Ranch and the rest of the homes up Sourdough and South 3rd to prove it. Deep, black loam 6-8 foot deep with not a rock to be found has been parceled out into 20 acres lots with nothing but part timers multi-million dollar home occupying them. It's arguably some of the best arable land in the nation and it's being wasted. Such a shame...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:01 am

Money has ruined this town, forever. Locals can't live here anymore, young families can't start here, the average wage earner can't live here, so what are we left with rich, arrogant people. If we can get more of the same type of people to move to Bozeman, maybe we can make it into Forbes magazine!

Like someone said years ago, Bozeman is turning into the new Boulder, CO.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:15 am

Was it better when 19th ended at Durston and all the rich pricks actually were from Bozeman? :-k

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:00 am

One word that perfectly describes Bozeman: gentrified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:24 am

allcat wrote:
lutecat wrote:
So when you guys say "hipster," what does that mean?

Around here, that terms refers to 20-something guys who wear skinny jeans, lots of faux-irony shirts, have gratuitous facial hair, and drink PBR in dive bars because it's fashionable.