State Record Brook Trout

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

State Record Brook Trout

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:44 am

Every few days I go to the Montana Coffee Traders in Columbia Falls where the mounted state record brookie that came from lower Two Medicine Lake is hanging and I swear every time I look at it that it has to be a Bull Trout. I can't see any lateral lines on the back and I wonder if there's a way to do a DNA test to definitively determine whether or not it's actually a brookie. Anyway, time to get out on the water because I love the new moon phase just before sun up for decent sized fish before the drift boats and neoprene waders are out flipping feathers for bait...

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: State Record Brook Trout

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:37 am

Or, in the vernacular,

Have fun out on the river. I've tried my hand speargun fishing here in Indonesia and I didn't catch a dang thing. Hope you have better luck under the Big Sky.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: State Record Brook Trout

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:57 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:Image

Or, in the vernacular,

Have fun out on the river. I've tried my hand speargun fishing here in Indonesia and I didn't catch a dang thing. Hope you have better luck under the Big Sky.
I've never had the priviledge of fishing where you are but I hope to get to Tahiti this fall. As luck would have it, I was not able to go to Costa Rica with my friends a few months ago when they boated 13 Blue Marlin that averaged 500 lbs and had a half dozen break off...I have never hit a grander...aren't you in Black Marlin water? Their measure of success is a 2000 lb fish...

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

State Record Brook Trout

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:46 am

Cat Grad wrote:Every few days I go to the Montana Coffee Traders in Columbia Falls where the mounted state record brookie that came from lower Two Medicine Lake is hanging and I swear every time I look at it that it has to be a Bull Trout. I can't see any lateral lines on the back and I wonder if there's a way to do a DNA test to definitively determine whether or not it's actually a brookie. Anyway, time to get out on the water because I love the new moon phase just before sun up for decent sized fish before the drift boats and neoprene waders are out flipping feathers for bait...
It's not a Bull Trout. That lake has NO native fish as they could not get above Trick Falls. The Park stocked that lake with the fish that are in it.

Side note... I was successful in my meeting with new Supt. Mow last year to reverse the bait restrictions in those waters. :thumbup:

Also, the fish never get very big in that lake either because they just have bugs to eat. I think it came from somewhere else.