Breweries in NW Montana (including Missoula)

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Breweries in NW Montana (including Missoula)

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:21 pm

I have to go to NW Montana and the Missoula area for work, I'll be there roughly a week. What are places I HAVE to see/go to in terms of Breweries and food?

Thanks in advance!

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Breweries in NW Montana (including Missoula)

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:16 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:I have to go to NW Montana and the Missoula area for work, I'll be there roughly a week. What are places I HAVE to see/go to in terms of Breweries and food?

Thanks in advance!
Definitely go to Bigfork to the Flathead Lake Brewery. This is especially great to me as it is a bunch of fine folks from Chicago who rather than fight the Tavern Association simply bought a Liquor License and run a great bar and can consequently sell there great craft beers on site. They also opened a place in Missoula. I suppose ultimately this is the direction the craft breweries will go in Montana and by and large they'll beat the Tavern Association with their own rules and regulations. I love it!

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:48 am

Tamarack in Lakeside
Kettle House and Big Sky in Missoula

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:29 am

Cat Grad wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:I have to go to NW Montana and the Missoula area for work, I'll be there roughly a week. What are places I HAVE to see/go to in terms of Breweries and food?

Thanks in advance!
Definitely go to Bigfork to the Flathead Lake Brewery. This is especially great to me as it is a bunch of fine folks from Chicago who rather than fight the Tavern Association simply bought a Liquor License and run a great bar and can consequently sell there great craft beers on site. They also opened a place in Missoula. I suppose ultimately this is the direction the craft breweries will go in Montana and by and large they'll beat the Tavern Association with their own rules and regulations. I love it!
I don't think I've had any of their beer so I will do my best to get up there. Good suggestion!

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:30 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:Tamarack in Lakeside
Tamarack was at the Brew Fest in Sidney this year, they produce some good beer and they were SUPER nice. I will definitely be visiting them.

You picked the two biggest breweries in Missoula, come on man! I need the out of the way stuff, the insider knowledge!

Sportin' Life
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Sportin' Life » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:41 am

The food at Tamarack is imo pretty pedestrian. Regular bar food one could find anywhere. Flathead Lake Brewery in Missoula has a great burger. The Kettlehouse north is a must visit, but the south one pretty annoying (it is just a converted garage, with almost no upgrade of atmosphere), but neither has food. The Top Hat (not a brewery) has been redone and serves some decent food, but they are tapas so expect to pay a lot to actually get full. One that hasn't been mentioned but is worth a look is Draught Works on the north side. They don't have food but often times there are some decent food trucks parked nearby.

"GD it, PETAns piss me off!
Were never gonna end up with a stupid eagle or a faggy bobcat as a mascot!"
Cartman

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:06 am

Also in the works is a brewery in Columbia Falls right in the middle of town. Not certain as to their opening and what all you want to see and do while you're on this end of the state but I'll post on here when it does open. That would make a great day trip for you taking the east side of the lake and having your designated driver take you to Bigfork, Columbia Falls and the brewery in Whitefish (I don't care for the one in Whitefish because it's infested with Canucks but that's just me I guess) and then go back south stopping in Lakeside and Polson. I really don't care for anything they brew in Polson and I'm anxiously awaiting to sample the ales in Columbia Falls to see if the can match Copper John's or Cold Smoke.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:11 am

Also, make certain to stop in Woods Bay and eat at the Sitting Duck. Tammy and Travis have done a great job restoring that place's service and food to several years ago. In fact, I'd say it's every bit as good today as when all of Woods Bay was either the Romains or Beeby land.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:11 am

Bayern Brewing in Missoula has a seasonal Maibock lager right now that is absolutely delicious. Just had one last night. I definitely recommend trying one. Be careful, it's potent. 7%.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:53 pm

I really like Bonsai Brewing Project's beer in Whitefish, especially their IRA. The only downside when I went they were in the "mall" right when you come to town although they may have moved recently to a real location. Kalispell Brewing Company had a pretty sweet upstairs patio, although I feel like their beers were middle of the road.

In Missoula, Lolo Peak Brewing had good food, although again their beer was standard. I tried Imagine Nation Brewing, which is newer, last week and they had a pretty solid IPA and a nice outdoor patio close to the river. The only downside is it is pretty...uh, hippy. Really nice people but they are "the country's first intentional combination of microbrewery and center for community transformation."

Agree with Sportin' Life about the foot at Flathead Lake Brewery in Missoula. I haven't had their beer yet, but I've heard good things about Draught Works and Great Burn as well.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:15 pm

Cat Grad wrote:Also, make certain to stop in Woods Bay and eat at the Sitting Duck. Tammy and Travis have done a great job restoring that place's service and food to several years ago. In fact, I'd say it's every bit as good today as when all of Woods Bay was either the Romains or Beeby land.
Duck Bites

DEFINITELY [emoji106]

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Tamarack was at the Brew Fest in Sidney this year, they produce some good beer and they were SUPER nice. I will definitely be visiting them.

You picked the two biggest breweries in Missoula, come on man! I need the out of the way stuff, the insider knowledge!
I thought you wanted the best experience with great beer. ;)

BTW... I now own 8 Tamarack growlers of which I fill with Hat Trick Hop IPA every Sunday.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:30 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

I thought you wanted the best experience with great beer. ;)

BTW... I now own 8 Tamarack growlers of which I fill with Hat Trick Hop IPA every Sunday.
Are you trying to tell me you want to give me a growler filled with Hat Trick? I accept

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:31 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be heading that way Thursday so I'll make sure to stop at some of the places. I'll let you know what i tried and how it was.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:33 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be heading that way Thursday so I'll make sure to stop at some of the places. I'll let you know what i tried and how it was.
I think the Bobcat Bash is at Brannigans on Thursday night.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:53 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be heading that way Thursday so I'll make sure to stop at some of the places. I'll let you know what i tried and how it was.
Tomorrow? After I finish running my errands tomorrow I'll have to get a head start on you! They have an Irish Ale on tap upstairs just a little different than Guinness that I really like.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:08 am

Cat Grad wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Tomorrow? After I finish running my errands tomorrow I'll have to get a head start on you! They have an Irish Ale on tap upstairs just a little different than Guinness that I really like.
$30 per person from 6-9 pm...

I'm going to try and make it

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:19 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

See you there; might stop by this afternoon for a centerpiece arrangement or accent.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:21 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

I'm confused, are you telling me you will buy my ticket?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:35 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

I'm confused, are you telling me you will buy my ticket?
No! He's providing a service, therefore, you're buying his ticket...