Fantasy Baseball

A mellow place for Bobcats to discuss topics free of political posturing

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Fantasy Baseball

Post by catamaran » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:00 pm

CatBlitz wrote:My only problem with being forced to keep 4 players is that mine all suck minus a couple. I'd probably keep Jimenez, Hanson, Phillips, and Dunn if I had to. Jiminez is maybe worth a high pick but hardly any of my team would be picked in the first 4-5 rounds regardless of who they are. It's hard to improve my team when, essentially, the first 4 rounds of the draft don't even really count. You can't improve without any top-tier talent available.
we can always start a poll for next season on how many keepers we want. In my experience, four is pretty low but it might suck the talent a little since we're a little larger league.

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:02 pm

catamaran wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:My only problem with being forced to keep 4 players is that mine all suck minus a couple. I'd probably keep Jimenez, Hanson, Phillips, and Dunn if I had to. Jiminez is maybe worth a high pick but hardly any of my team would be picked in the first 4-5 rounds regardless of who they are. It's hard to improve my team when, essentially, the first 4 rounds of the draft don't even really count. You can't improve without any top-tier talent available.
we can always start a poll for next season on how many keepers we want. In my experience, four is pretty low but it might suck the talent a little since we're a little larger league.
I'd like to keep 6 or 7. :twisted: 8)

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:03 pm

me too

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Would it be possible to allow people to keep less than 4, then do an "offline" snake draft either on the message board here or through e-mail for those who keep less than 4 players? I think one of the commissioner tools is to assign players to teams, so it would be possible although certainly not without some work involved. I'm fine with just keeping four too, although I wouldn't be too thrilled about my 3rd and 4th keepers! My fault though for not having a better team last year.

My thought on changing the number of keepers is that if we're going to do it, it should be decided now and then go into effect after this season. There's different strategy involved in a 4-keeper league vs. a 6 or 7 keeper league.

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:24 am

I'm all for people not keeping four if they don't like their team, that certainly is a strategy. As far as running a separate snake draft for people that don't keep four, I don't feel like that would be fair to those who have high picks and keep four. If you're going to throw back keepers, you have to play that out

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Just the first reminder of many that our draft is Monday, March 14 @ 6:30 MST

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:43 pm

So for the people who didn't keep all 4 are you going to leave it that way?

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:12 am

yes, almost everyone voted as of now and majority voted on "no penalty" for not having the four. Its a definite strategy. It will be a straight line draft through the first four rounds to accommodate the keepers.......if you pick four in the fifth round, you'll pick 4 throughout those first four.

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:42 am

one week to go.........

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:17 pm

Ok, help the newbie out!

I don't have to keep the 4 I kept?

If I do, are those 4 my first 4 draft picks?

What is the air-speed of an african swallow?

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:22 pm

Since the deadline passed, yes you do; next year no
yes

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:46 pm

I shouldn't have kept all 4. I'm going to suck again.

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:48 pm

you've got good pieces, but to me that #1 pick is a tough road to hoe.........you should find someone to swap it

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:21 pm

catamaran wrote:you've got good pieces, but to me that #1 pick is a tough road to hoe.........you should find someone to swap it
I didn't know we could trade draft picks! :-k

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:27 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
catamaran wrote:you've got good pieces, but to me that #1 pick is a tough road to hoe.........you should find someone to swap it
yes, we can. You just have to make it even because if you trade a player for a pick, espn will reject it..........you have to have the same amount of picks/players

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:34 pm

I have some crazy good players that I'm dropping. Can those be traded? Or just the keepers?

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:36 pm

catamaran wrote:
CatBlitz wrote:
yes, we can. You just have to make it even because if you trade a player for a pick, espn will reject it..........you have to have the same amount of picks/players
How does that work?
wbtfg wrote:I have some crazy good players that I'm dropping. Can those be traded? Or just the keepers?
Which team are you?

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:36 pm

at this point, I don't think you can trade any players.........i'll have to look

edit:
you have to trade before the keeper deadline

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:47 pm

For those that check here more than their email (and really who wouldn't want to)
I've posted a new poll about trading draft picks. If everyone votes on it I'll allow it through the weekend

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:58 pm

I'm Team Tiger Blood...

Top players I'm dropping are Victorino, Alex Rios, Adrian Beltre, Tim Hudson, Dan Haren, Valverde....

I'd love to keep all those guys.