Norm Asbjornson, Super Alum!

A place for Bobcat boosters, alumni and fans to connect with one another.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Norm Asbjornson, Super Alum!

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:21 am

I was going to locate this message in the "Bobcat Connections" section, but after further review, and deciding more people tuned in to "Bobcat Football" am posting here to give it expanded coverage.
MSU Alum Norm Asbjornson, originally from Winifred, MT, has gifted the College of Engineering $50,000,000! It's the largest private donation in the history of Montana. If anyone knows MR. ASBJORNSON perhaps you can give him a call while maybe he's still in a good mood and see if he can flip a couple of million to the stadium fund.
What an amazing gift! Thank you, sir. =D^

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Re: Norm Asbjornson, Super Alum!

Post by coachouert » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:30 am

No way...We landed on the moon! ;)

This got quite a bit of coverage on here when it happened last March.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32839&hilit=Engineering

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32835&p=470735&hili ... ng#p470735

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32827&p=470379&hili ... ng#p470379

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:53 am

coachouert wrote:Image

No way...We landed on the moon! ;)

This got quite a bit of coverage on here when it happened last March.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32839&hilit=Engineering

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32835&p=470735&hili ... ng#p470735

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32827&p=470379&hili ... ng#p470379
Okay. Sorta figured. But I don't think, like me, everyone saw it. And in my defense....Saturday, waiting for my car to be serviced, I dug through a deep pile of magazines , pulled out a copy of TIME and found out President Reagan had passed away.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:18 pm

Really hate to keep this thread going any more than it already has, but now I am wondering. A donation like this is huge for any University, and it seems like this would help MSU to free up some funds from somewhere to finish paying off our loan for the stadium, YES? or NO? Also, does anyone know how much the school has left to payoff? We really need to get rolling on the East side bleachers, new video screen for our amazing scoreboard, and the possibility of an indoor practice field like some have talked about.

Punters are people too!!

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:34 pm

GoCats18 wrote:Really hate to keep this thread going any more than it already has, but now I am wondering. A donation like this is huge for any University, and it seems like this would help MSU to free up some funds from somewhere to finish paying off our loan for the stadium, YES? or NO? Also, does anyone know how much the school has left to payoff? We really need to get rolling on the East side bleachers, new video screen for our amazing scoreboard, and the possibility of an indoor practice field like some have talked about.
Donations like this are earmarked for specific things, like the new College of Engineering building or when Jake Jabs donated his $25 million to the new College of Business building. The university cannot use funds like these except for specific items so they couldn't use say $40 million for a new COE building $10 million towards the stadium, scholarships, research expenditures, etc. Same as all the donations that went to the EZ-project, the university couldn't decide to use that money for something other than the renovations to the stadium.

As for your last question, I have no idea how much is left to pay off. I'm sure they are working on donors for future projects though.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:34 am

coachouert wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Really hate to keep this thread going any more than it already has, but now I am wondering. A donation like this is huge for any University, and it seems like this would help MSU to free up some funds from somewhere to finish paying off our loan for the stadium, YES? or NO? Also, does anyone know how much the school has left to payoff? We really need to get rolling on the East side bleachers, new video screen for our amazing scoreboard, and the possibility of an indoor practice field like some have talked about.
Donations like this are earmarked for specific things, like the new College of Engineering building or when Jake Jabs donated his $25 million to the new College of Business building. The university cannot use funds like these except for specific items so they couldn't use say $40 million for a new COE building $10 million towards the stadium, scholarships, research expenditures, etc. Same as all the donations that went to the EZ-project, the university couldn't decide to use that money for something other than the renovations to the stadium.

As for your last question, I have no idea how much is left to pay off. I'm sure they are working on donors for future projects though.

I know that they can't use this money for the stadium, that is why I asked if maybe it wouldn't free money up that maybe had already been set aside for future improvements to those certain departments. Not that I really care. Someday we will all get to hear about phase 2, watch a video, and then start sending our donations again.

Punters are people too!!