Iron Tumbleweed

A place for Bobcat boosters, alumni and fans to connect with one another.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catbacker
New Recruit

Iron Tumbleweed

Post by catbacker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 am

I have heard that Bobcat great Donny Haas, "The Iron Tumbleweed" has suffered a stroke and is in a Portland,OR hospital. Does anyone on Bobcat Nation know more about this ?

HassFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Iron Tumbleweed

Post by HassFan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:09 pm

I just confirmed that one of Don Hass's old high school teammates contacted their high school coach with this news last week. Didn't get any particulars on severity or if he is in the hospital or assisted living accomodations. (I spell his name as Hass as that is how the Dawson County yearbook has it, although I've seen references, mostly on the BN, as Haas.)

Please keep us posted on his condition, as I certainly admired watching the Iron Tumbleweed run in my younger days. My prayers are certainly with you, Mr. Hass, during this trying time.

Fighting Cancer With Every Breath I Take - Conner, You Are An Inspiration !

Tumbleweed 21
New Recruit

Post by Tumbleweed 21 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:31 pm

Saw postings in reguard to Iron Tumbleweed, and this is a response to them. Yes, I had a serious stroke on Oct. 25, 2010 and was hospitalized in Portland, OR until mid December. I am home now in Hood River, OR and have gone thru Home Health care and now doing outpatient rehab. Stroke affected left side of my body but with alot of work I am regaining some motor activity in left leg and left arm is begnning to try and work again. To fully recover I need to regain some Bob Cat toughness. Relative to HS Glasgow game it was not a defensive battle. Coach Casey has the game film which will be transfered to CD shortly.

I appreciate the concern and interest as well as the kind words. With age and health the "Iron Tumbleweed" is now the "Tinsel Thistle".I hope all out there will take action to minimize the risk of Stroke. Best wishes to all you BobCats. Don Hass

HassFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HassFan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:42 pm

Oh Wow !! Had been wondering how everything was going for the Iron Tumbleweed and you don't know how seeing the post above lights up my day. Thanks for the update Mr. Hass and we're still pulling for you with thoughts and prayers.

Fighting Cancer With Every Breath I Take - Conner, You Are An Inspiration !

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Tumbleweed 21 wrote:Saw postings in reguard to Iron Tumbleweed, and this is a response to them. Yes, I had a serious stroke on Oct. 25, 2010 and was hospitalized in Portland, OR until mid December. I am home now in Hood River, OR and have gone thru Home Health care and now doing outpatient rehab. Stroke affected left side of my body but with alot of work I am regaining some motor activity in left leg and left arm is begnning to try and work again. To fully recover I need to regain some Bob Cat toughness. Relative to HS Glasgow game it was not a defensive battle. Coach Casey has the game film which will be transfered to CD shortly.

I appreciate the concern and interest as well as the kind words. With age and health the "Iron Tumbleweed" is now the "Tinsel Thistle".I hope all out there will take action to minimize the risk of Stroke. Best wishes to all you BobCats. Don Hass
Best wishes to you Don. I still remember watching you play as a kid. It was especially fun watching you run over more than one grizzly! You are the epitome of "Bobcat Tough" and I am sure you will fully recover =D^

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:41 pm

=D^

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:51 am

Where's the thread in reference to the Glasgow game?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:19 pm

Never mind, I found it :)

On a more personal note Mr. Hass. You may be the #1 reason for my life-long love of Bobcat football. I was 6 years old during your breakout season with the Cats in 1966, I saw you play a few times that year, but I distinctly remember the 298 yard game against Weber in 67, and carrying the team on your back again against the Griz a few weeks later.

Get Well Soon, and I wish you the best in retirement.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz