Montana State leaning toward buyout of North Dakota State ga

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Montana State leaning toward buyout of North Dakota State ga

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Showdown of two of FCS's top teams likely won't happen.Read the Full Article on BobcatNation
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana State leaning toward buyout of North Dakota Stat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:14 pm

Lulay and MSU beat NDSU 20-17

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks for the correction. I'm betting Montana State buys out NDSU, gets an FBS game on the schedule, takes part of that pay day and pays an FCS opponent to come to Bozeman to fill out the schedule.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 pm

It probably makes financial sense-and we were probably desparate to get a winnable home FCS game, but boy does it look bad. MSU will never live this down.

the_hog
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by the_hog » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:03 pm

MSU bought out their game with NDSU in 07 not 09. As a Bison fan I must say this is very weak and classless. What little respect I had for the Big Sky is now gone. I will say this though, I bet the Griz dont buy out their game in 2014 and make the trip to Fargo.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:43 am

the_hog wrote:MSU bought out their game with NDSU in 07 not 09. As a Bison fan I must say this is very weak and classless. What little respect I had for the Big Sky is now gone. I will say this though, I bet the Griz dont buy out their game in 2014 and make the trip to Fargo.
Weak, yeah I respect that comment. Classless? I think not. Most likely a financial decision.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:45 am

At this point, from Montana State's perspective, the most important thing is maximizing the number of games played at Bobcat Stadium. The Cats have only played 15 times in the stadium since the big renovation.

It was and still is looking more and more likely that MSU will have to pick up an FBS game. With that being the case, MSU couldn't afford (literally and figuratively) to chance starting the season 0-2 with conference road trips to Eastern Washington and North Dakota still looming. That, coupled with the fact that MSU has only beat Montana in Bozeman twice in the last 27 years and MSU has to consider not risking a tumultuous path to the playoffs.

MSU needs the payout of an FBS game to pay an FCS opponent to come to Bozeman. Considering all the exterior factors — Bozeman's hard to get to, Montana State is good, Bobcat Stadium is a tough place to play — MSU has had an incredibly tough time getting an FCS team on the schedule that will come to Bozeman. I bet it will end up costing Montana State about what an FBS nets — say $300,000 to $400,000 — to buy out NDSU, then pay an FCS team to come to Bozeman.

Why do that, you ask? When you break even during the regular season, but you give your team a shot for an FBS upset (unlikely, but possible) and you get a presumed win at home to boost momentum for the season entering the rigors of conference. Then, at the end of the regular season, you have a much great shot at hosting a playoff game. More home games at Bobcat Stadium means more money for the athletic department, more action for Bobcat fans to see, another opportunity to spread the MSU brand and, if it's like this year, possibly national television exposure.

the_hog
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by the_hog » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:14 am

grizzh8r wrote:
the_hog wrote:MSU bought out their game with NDSU in 07 not 09. As a Bison fan I must say this is very weak and classless. What little respect I had for the Big Sky is now gone. I will say this though, I bet the Griz dont buy out their game in 2014 and make the trip to Fargo.
Weak, yeah I respect that comment. Classless? I think not. Most likely a financial decision.

Very classless, had it been the first time then I wouldnt have used that word, but remember this is the second time MSU has ran away from the Bison with their tall between their legs. I hope the selection commitee puts MSU on the same side of the playoff bracket as NDSU this fall so you we can help you out with a 4th straight quarter final exit, it would be number 4 right?