Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

User avatar
WeedKillinCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:19 pm
Location: Billings Heights

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by WeedKillinCat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Funny no cuts to the athletic budget that I can see...


1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

User avatar
RickRund
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by RickRund » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:57 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:31 pm
Funny no cuts to the athletic budget that I can see...
Oh hush up WeedKillinCat... They cannot kill the golden goose. It is all they havel



wapiti
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by wapiti » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:01 pm

Maybe MSU could send some advisors over to help little brother out.



User avatar
BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by BobCatFan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:53 pm

I have said for years the leftist at U of M destoryed a great university. U of M had the country’s best College of Forestry, but the education at the other side of campus, was teaching young men and woman to challenge every logging and mining permit. If there is no logging, there are no jobs and you don’t need new young professionals out in the woods.

Honestly, besides the law area, what does U of M offer today’s kids that will lead to a job in the field of study?

The whole rape scandle lead by the local police department created an atmosphere for parents not to allow their kids to go to college in Missoula.

Lot’s of blame to push around including market place changes for jobs.

Will the Board of Regents start moving programs from MSU to U of M? Will they close down smaller colleges to save U of M?



hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:18 am

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by hokeyfine » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:52 pm

BobCatFan wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:53 pm
I have said for years the leftist at U of M destoryed a great university. U of M had the country’s best College of Forestry, but the education at the other side of campus, was teaching young men and woman to challenge every logging and mining permit. If there is no logging, there are no jobs and you don’t need new young professionals out in the woods.

Honestly, besides the law area, what does U of M offer today’s kids that will lead to a job in the field of study?

The whole rape scandle lead by the local police department created an atmosphere for parents not to allow their kids to go to college in Missoula.

Lot’s of blame to push around including market place changes for jobs.

Will the Board of Regents start moving programs from MSU to U of M? Will they close down smaller colleges to save U of M?
i disagree. "leftists" didn't destroy UM. UM administration got lazy and didn't think they had to work at recruiting. they thought that the name alone would bring in students.
MSU's hiring of cruzado was partly the beginning of the down turn of UM. UM is trying to save itself now by upping their online courses and degrees. They are banking on this alot.
Unfortunately, board of regents will never close the smaller colleges and will not transfer degrees. they will let the programs die on their own and then another school will pick it up.



iaafan
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3846
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by iaafan » Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am

Since spring 2011, UM has gone from 11,338 students on campus to 7,246 this spring. A 38% drop. MSU has gone from 10,680 to 13,273. A 24% gain.



User avatar
RickRund
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by RickRund » Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am
Since spring 2011, UM has gone from 11,338 students on campus to 7,246 this spring. A 38% drop. MSU has gone from 10,680 to 13,273. A 24% gain.
Good grief... Guess they haven't figured out what has caused these fully, 100% self-inflicted wounds. Don't know whether to say this is hilarious or pathetically sad.

Was on a Lake Coeur d'alene Cruise for Mothers Day. We ran into an MSU prof with his family and a big CAT fan, a 2002 grad from Boulder with his wife and 5 of their children. The prof was far more constrained. He felt bad for them... No so with CAT fan or myself... This new news would really added to the dumpster fire know as university of montana...

Big kudos were given to President Cruzado, very BIG!!!

Just when you think that it can't get worse...



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7984
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by John K » Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 am

iaafan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am
Since spring 2011, UM has gone from 11,338 students on campus to 7,246 this spring. A 38% drop. MSU has gone from 10,680 to 13,273. A 24% gain.
Are you serious? There are really only 7,246 on campus at UM this spring? That's hard to fathom. So MSU's enrollment is very close to being double theirs. Their enrollment is now closer to MSU-Billings, than to MSU-Bozeman. And I agree that their recruiting efforts and strategy has been abysmal for a long time, and still is in my opinion. When I see their ads on TV, I find myself thinking there is nothing in their message that would make me consider going to school there, or sending my kids to school there.



User avatar
RickRund
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3269
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Post Falls ID

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by RickRund » Tue May 14, 2019 11:49 am

John K wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am
Since spring 2011, UM has gone from 11,338 students on campus to 7,246 this spring. A 38% drop. MSU has gone from 10,680 to 13,273. A 24% gain.
Are you serious? There are really only 7,246 on campus at UM this spring? That's hard to fathom. So MSU's enrollment is very close to being double theirs. Their enrollment is now closer to MSU-Billings, than to MSU-Bozeman. And I agree that their recruiting efforts and strategy has been abysmal for a long time, and still is in my opinion. When I see their ads on TV, I find myself thinking there is nothing in their message that would make me consider going to school there, or sending my kids to school there.
I could be wrong but the ads I remember seemed to show athletics over academics.



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7984
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by John K » Tue May 14, 2019 12:14 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:49 am
John K wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:13 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am
Since spring 2011, UM has gone from 11,338 students on campus to 7,246 this spring. A 38% drop. MSU has gone from 10,680 to 13,273. A 24% gain.
Are you serious? There are really only 7,246 on campus at UM this spring? That's hard to fathom. So MSU's enrollment is very close to being double theirs. Their enrollment is now closer to MSU-Billings, than to MSU-Bozeman. And I agree that their recruiting efforts and strategy has been abysmal for a long time, and still is in my opinion. When I see their ads on TV, I find myself thinking there is nothing in their message that would make me consider going to school there, or sending my kids to school there.
I could be wrong but the ads I remember seemed to show athletics over academics.
They do emphasize athletics a lot, but they're also just very "fluffy". They don't really convey a message that includes any substantive reasons for going to school there, at least in my opinion. They emphasize athletics, the beauty of the area, and how "cool" Missoula is, but considering how expensive a college education is these days, most kids and parents are gonna need more than that when choosing a school.



Cataholic
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by Cataholic » Tue May 14, 2019 6:28 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am
Since spring 2011, UM has gone from 11,338 students on campus to 7,246 this spring. A 38% drop. MSU has gone from 10,680 to 13,273. A 24% gain.
Good grief... Guess they haven't figured out what has caused these fully, 100% self-inflicted wounds. Don't know whether to say this is hilarious or pathetically sad.

Was on a Lake Coeur d'alene Cruise for Mothers Day. We ran into an MSU prof with his family and a big CAT fan, a 2002 grad from Boulder with his wife and 5 of their children. The prof was far more constrained. He felt bad for them... No so with CAT fan or myself... This new news would really added to the dumpster fire know as university of montana...

Big kudos were given to President Cruzado, very BIG!!!

Just when you think that it can't get worse...
I have a close friend who runs an environmental services company. They primarily recruit from Montana Tech and MSU, but UM has an environmental management degree (or something like that). Basically, he said that the UM kids have never worked out. He didn’t go into details, but he said they just aren’t qualified and approached their job from a different perspective. I am guessing a liberal left “save the world” approach has influenced their work product. I actually have a MBA from UM, so I believe some programs are of merit. But I also earned that degree in the mid-90’s so maybe that has changed as well.



hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:18 am

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by hokeyfine » Wed May 15, 2019 9:46 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:28 pm
RickRund wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:10 am
iaafan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am
Since spring 2011, UM has gone from 11,338 students on campus to 7,246 this spring. A 38% drop. MSU has gone from 10,680 to 13,273. A 24% gain.
Good grief... Guess they haven't figured out what has caused these fully, 100% self-inflicted wounds. Don't know whether to say this is hilarious or pathetically sad.

Was on a Lake Coeur d'alene Cruise for Mothers Day. We ran into an MSU prof with his family and a big CAT fan, a 2002 grad from Boulder with his wife and 5 of their children. The prof was far more constrained. He felt bad for them... No so with CAT fan or myself... This new news would really added to the dumpster fire know as university of montana...

Big kudos were given to President Cruzado, very BIG!!!

Just when you think that it can't get worse...
I have a close friend who runs an environmental services company. They primarily recruit from Montana Tech and MSU, but UM has an environmental management degree (or something like that). Basically, he said that the UM kids have never worked out. He didn’t go into details, but he said they just aren’t qualified and approached their job from a different perspective. I am guessing a liberal left “save the world” approach has influenced their work product. I actually have a MBA from UM, so I believe some programs are of merit. But I also earned that degree in the mid-90’s so maybe that has changed as well.
Is that MBA a liberal left save the world degree also? 😆😆



Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Another big drop in UM-Missoula enrollment-7.6%

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Yes but I heard one of our Cat players spit on the Grizzly emblem after the Cat/Griz football game so why would anyone send their kids to MSU?



Post Reply