Champ at Pride in Helena

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

77matcat
Member # Retired

Re: Champ at Pride in Helena

Post by 77matcat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:05 am

Also old old republican. Think TomCat has this topic nailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iaafan
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by iaafan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:22 am

MSU isn’t the first college to have its mascot in a gay pride parade. I’d say MSU has about a .00000001% chance of being sued. Ohio State has been sending Brutus to Gay Pride events for several years. Brutus was in the news a couple years ago because OSU was pulling him out of the parade following the Orlando nightclub shooting, but the Ohio University mascot Rufus (a bobcat) stepped in to replace Brutus. This move caused OSU to put Brutus back in the parade. Cooler heads prevailed. The same parade is attended by the Columbus Blue Jacket mascot (NHL hockey) Stinger. Minor league baseball Columbus Clippers had their mascots Lou Seal and Krash march in the parade.

Washington State has had its mascot in the Washington event since the mid-90s. The Detroit Tigers and 22 other MLB teams have a Gay Pride night. The NCAA is behind the LGBTQ. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inc ... -resources

Cledus

Post by Cledus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:58 am

Hawks86 wrote:
MSU named most LGBTQ-friendly college in Montana
http://www.montana.edu/news/17404/msu-n ... in-montana
Ugh... I had to close that window immediately. There should be a law against comic sans font. Use of comic sans is the number one indicator of demonic possession.

Go Scats Go
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 am

He seems right at home in the pics. Guess your mascot swings both ways!

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Go Scats Go

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:06 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Well the only positive about this thing is the liberal arts college can’t call us the cow college college anymore, which it is and I love. It also feels good to beat them at their own game. Waded is really smart and she knows butts in the seat are more important than political views.

Lol
Beat the Griz at sending a mascot to a gay pride march. Wow. You cat fans are really red headed step children if you have stooped to that level. I for one am glad you won this one

Kittens lead 1-0

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Go Scats Go

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 am

wbtfg wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:What's next? In a Muslim march in a burka? This is opening up a can of worms and MSU is going to get sued. Just wait. It's coming.
This is a joke, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. In a pc world he is probably right

grizgirl
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:55 am

Go Scats Go wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Well the only positive about this thing is the liberal arts college can’t call us the cow college college anymore, which it is and I love. It also feels good to beat them at their own game. Waded is really smart and she knows butts in the seat are more important than political views.

Lol
Beat the Griz at sending a mascot to a gay pride march. Wow. You cat fans are really red headed step children if you have stooped to that level. I for one am glad you won this one

Kittens lead 1-0
Apparently you don’t care that our enrollment is 9,000 and MSU’s is 16,000. Expect to see Monte at the next Big Sky Pride parade. Maybe all the “Big Sky” Conference mascots should be at the “Big Sky” Pride parade?

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 am

BozoneCat wrote:Some of you guys need to get out a little. You are on the wrong side of this. Pretty sure segregation wasn’t popular with everyone 70 years ago, although it seems crazy to think that anyone could be treated differently just because of the color of their skin nowadays. There’s just so many other things that I have going on in my life to worry about, this doesn’t affect me one bit and I could care less that Champ was sent to support this event. Actually, I think it’s great marketing. And no, no one is going to get sued over this, give me a break.

This is a great post. Having kids of college age, I can tell you that the generation currently attending MSU readily accepts the LGBT community. Having Champ at this event is a marketing move and quite frankly, is a smart one. You only need to look at “go Scats go” posts here on Bobcat Nation and also as a moderator at Egriz as “Payton lives” to understand further. When his homophobic posts go viral, you will see another Egriz and media meltdown similar to the Lisa Davey and Alphagriz topic.

Future Headline:

Egriz moderator makes homophobic comments regarding MSU mascot participation in Pride rally.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:52 am

GoBears wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BozoneCat wrote:Some of you guys need to get out a little. You are on the wrong side of this. Pretty sure segregation wasn’t popular with everyone 70 years ago, although it seems crazy to think that anyone could be treated differently just because of the color of their skin nowadays. There’s just so many other things that I have going on in my life to worry about, this doesn’t affect me one bit and I could care less that Champ was sent to support this event. Actually, I think it’s great marketing. And no, no one is going to get sued over this, give me a break.

This is a great post. Having kids of college age, I can tell you that the generation currently attending MSU readily accepts the LGBT community. Having Champ at this event is a marketing move and quite frankly, is a smart one. You only need to look at “go Scats go” posts here on Bobcat Nation and also as a moderator at Egriz as “Payton lives” to understand further. When his homophobic posts go viral, you will see another Egriz and media meltdown similar to the Lisa Davey and Alphagriz topic.

Future Headline:

Egriz moderator makes homophobic comments regarding MSU mascot participation in Pride rally.
Since when is Pride a virtue? It has always been a sin. As a Christian I find it laughable but also sad that Montana State would do this.
Well! I encourage you to go read Mathew 7:1-3. Very carefully. Then go pray for those who judge others.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 am

Cat Grad wrote:
GoBears wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Future Headline:

Since when is Pride a virtue? It has always been a sin. As a Christian I find it laughable but also sad that Montana State would do this.
Well! I encourage you to go read Mathew 7:1-3. Very carefully. Then go pray for those who judge others.
Everybody judges others. Even by making this post you judged others. If you are intolerant of the alphabet coalition, you judge them. If you are intolerant of the people who judged, you are also judging them.

Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

MSU01

Post by MSU01 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:50 am

For those posters who object to this due to a potential appearance of MSU getting involved in political issues, I would be interested to know what you feel about MSU accepting an $8 million donation from a controversial political figure and then renaming an entire academic department after that person.
PHAT CAT wrote: I don't care that Champ walked in this march. I don't like the tutu. I think it's over the top and prime for other group to demand Champ walks in their marches too. With all the new people moving to Montana, how long do you think it is, until someone sues us? If you think this state is the same place that we all grew up in, you'd be f'in wrong. Hell, the group who sues us, might not even live in Montana.
I don't think you have a very good understanding of what MSU can and cannot be sued for. They are probably asked all the time for Champ to attend events and approve some requests while declining others. MSU is by no means legally obligated to send Champ to every event just because they have chosen to send him to this one.

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:54 am

The image of Champ wearing a tutu has caused me great emotional stress. I think free lifetime season tickets would help my condition. A very large donation for facilities would help even more.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:57 am

allcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
GoBears wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Future Headline:

Everybody judges others. Even by making this post you judged others. If you are intolerant of the alphabet coalition, you judge them. If you are intolerant of the people who judged, you are also judging them.
I do not like lawyers, therefore I can never be a judge. I am not judging lawyers in any shape or form. That was their decision to go become what they became, and in all liklihood they were as they are prior to their choice to go to law school. I simply don't like them. I had a dog that was much better at chasing ambulances than every lawyer I know.

seataccat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:03 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:Why not send him? MSU is a huge-tent campus, and must (and should want to) be viewed as welcoming and tolerant of all creeds, colors, and orientations of students. It isn't and doesn't have to be a political issue, simply about embracing tolerance and using a symbol of the university to do so. There has to be more pressing things to worry about than this. :roll:
Yep, it's a good thing, the haters can go pack sand.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Go Scats Go

Post by Go Scats Go » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Cataholic wrote:

Future Headline:

Not one thing I have posted is homophobic. Nice try.

Cataholic

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Future Headline:

Not one thing I have posted is homophobic. Nice try.
Really?? Let’s let the Missoulian decide. We can start with the title of your thread at E-Griz: “MSU bobcat mascot comes out of the closet”. Real classy....

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:14 pm

seataccat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:Why not send him? MSU is a huge-tent campus, and must (and should want to) be viewed as welcoming and tolerant of all creeds, colors, and orientations of students. It isn't and doesn't have to be a political issue, simply about embracing tolerance and using a symbol of the university to do so. There has to be more pressing things to worry about than this. :roll:
Same logic I posted before. Who is the hater? The sand packer?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:25 pm

Gosh! How did something as innocent as a school mascot attending a rally get to be such an issue? Especially by someone who portrayed himself as a voice of reason at the Bobby Hauck Hiring Forum? Writing the stuff he did on his web site destroyed any credibility he'd accumulated during that process and further alienated several more prospective students in the process.

There is such a huge disconnect between the old people involved with that school and kids it just amazes me. The bright spot out of all this is soon you'll see more programs like the nursing program use the empty buildings on their campus to deliver off campus classes. Plus, the BOR will probably let some MSU students taking classes there live in the empty dorms and On-Campus Housing. I suppose they'll have to divide the campus up? Most of it will be called what? MSU in Missoula? Isn't the MSU Nursing Program on the UM campus already about 20 percent of their enrollment?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:53 pm

allcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
What is your logic? If someone reacts to someone who hates based on sexual orientation that they are a hater, too? If you stand up for someone being oppressed, that you’re now a hater? Please clarify.

MSU - 14 team National Champions (most recent 2011); 52 individual National Champions (most recent 2017).
toM StUber

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:11 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
allcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
What is your logic? If someone reacts to someone who hates based on sexual orientation that they are a hater, too? If you stand up for someone being oppressed, that you’re now a hater? Please clarify.
Alright if I say you are wrong to celebrate this lifestyle, then people say I am a hater, in which they use the terms such as I should be silenced. That means that those people would be oppressing me for my viewpoint. Are they not then the haters that they would have accused me of being? The alphabet crowd will say that we need to accept everyone, but they are intolerant of people who oppose that lifestyle.