Name dropping

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
Member # Retired

Name dropping

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 pm

I was recently talking to one of my wife's relatives, and he was telling me about his brother-in-law who plays high school ball in California. He plays for a very good program and looks like he is going to have a very bright future. A question that I have is that there is a Big Sky school that has already expressed interest in this kid. Is it within the NCAA guidelines to somehow inform the coaches that recruit that area of his name and the possibility of at least looking at this kid. He plays linebacker and also DE, which is always a prime position for us. Just curious how this process works. Thanks

FTG!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Name dropping

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:39 pm

I've read some info regarding recruiting on msubobcats.com I believe. See if you can find something on the main page menus there.

MSU01
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by MSU01 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:09 pm

Here's a link to the NCAA rules on booster contact in terms of recruiting. "Notify university coaching staff members about noteworthy prospects in the area" is listed as one of the few permissible activities after a long list of impermissible ones, mainly involving recruiting-related contact with or financial benefits to the recruit directly.

http://www.ncaa.org/enforcement/role-boosters

Go Bobcats! 24-17 31-23 29-25

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Name dropping

Post by wbtfg » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 am

GoCats18 wrote:I was recently talking to one of my wife's relatives, and he was telling me about his brother-in-law who plays high school ball in California. He plays for a very good program and looks like he is going to have a very bright future. A question that I have is that there is a Big Sky school that has already expressed interest in this kid. Is it within the NCAA guidelines to somehow inform the coaches that recruit that area of his name and the possibility of at least looking at this kid. He plays linebacker and also DE, which is always a prime position for us. Just curious how this process works. Thanks
Yeah. You can let coaches know, but you can’t try to recruit the kid. if you have his highlight tape, any contact info or coaches info, I think they’d appreciate that. That said, I think coaches pretty much have their targets right now and may not be looking to add names unless it’s someone really special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by wbtfg on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatDel
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:05 pm

Confirming what others have said, I went through this while living in Texas about 10 years ago.

My advice would be to be sure he is worthy of consideration, i.e. that you have seen him play or he has achieved notable recognition in his position. Just don't toss out names because he is a friend or family as the coaches have a number of candidates they are scouting and really don't have time to chase rabbits.

In my case it was one of our friends' son. The kid wanted to go out of state and preferred Rocky Mountains. I saw him play about 6 games. Fair size and speed. He ended up 2nd team All-State in Texas in the 5A (large school division) and team went all the way to state playoffs.

I could not talk to the kid, so I called up to MSU and spoke with Defensive Line coach (kid was a defensive end). They told me where the kid could send tapes to which I provided to the parents. I should have asked who was recruiting Texas at the time (if anyone) so perhaps they could have taken a visit with the kid or watched a game.

I don't know if they ever made him an offer but he went to a D1 FBS school out of state. It was late in the recruiting process so I am sure the staff probably had all their key offer candidates picked out or the D line was full at the time. The process needed to be earlier in this kids case.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:16 pm

I took a tape of a kid who lived across the street from me in MN to Kramer. He had never played football but got a scholarship from Kramer anyway. The funny part is the kid wanted to play D-1 basketball but I saw him as a football player. When I asked him for the tape he thought I was giving it to Durham. He was pretty shocked when Kramer called.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN