How did this happen?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

How did this happen?

Post by wbtfg » Fri May 01, 2009 11:35 am

From today's Chronicle...
The man heading up the search for the next Montana State University president says the state Board of Regents hopes to find someone who could bring reform to a system that faces financial challenges.

Board of Regents’ Vice Chair Clayton Christian, a Missoula businessman who chairs the search committee, said Thursday the regents have been discussing the state University System’s financial problems.
So the chair of the hiring committee to replace president Gamble is awarded to a Missoula business man, UM alumus, and known Grizzly supporter?

How in the hell did this happen? :hot:

I think it's only fair that Longhorn22 or GoKats be awarded first right to chair the UM hiring committee when Dennison retires.

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: How did this happen?

Post by catamaran » Fri May 01, 2009 11:38 am

the irony is that the last time I checked it was the responsibility of the regents to monitor the finances of the u system, not the president of an individual university

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Fri May 01, 2009 12:08 pm

He's the Vice Chair of the BoR. I seriously doubt that being a Griz fan is going to prevent him from carrying out his ethical and fiduciary responsibilities to the State of Montana.

But maybe I'm one of the few who still consider sports a game....

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Fri May 01, 2009 1:13 pm

wbtfg wrote:From today's Chronicle...
The man heading up the search for the next Montana State University president says the state Board of Regents hopes to find someone who could bring reform to a system that faces financial challenges.

Board of Regents’ Vice Chair Clayton Christian, a Missoula businessman who chairs the search committee, said Thursday the regents have been discussing the state University System’s financial problems.
So the chair of the hiring committee to replace president Gamble is awarded to a Missoula business man, UM alumus, and known Grizzly supporter?

How in the hell did this happen? :hot:

I think it's only fair that Longhorn22 or GoKats be awarded first right to chair the UM hiring committee when Dennison retires.
Ohhhhhh Boooooooyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!! (insert 'wringing hands' emoticon. :twisted:

Actually I've met Clayton Christian and he's a very well respected individual and I have no qualms with him heading up the search committee. The appointment will ultimately come from recommendations made by the members of the committee who represent MSU.

However I won't give up my being in the running to head up the search committee when it comes time to replace Dennison. :wink:

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri May 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Judging by recent articles, it doesn’t sound like it’s the norm for regents to chair presidential search committees. In fact, up until earlier this week, all indications were that Sheila Sterns (Commissioner of Higher Education) would be the chair.

Stearns is putting together a search committee, which she plans to chair herself, Robinson said. The committee will include representatives of faculty, students, other employee groups and members of the public.

And

Robinson said Sheila Stearns, commissioner of higher education, will chair the search committee, which will include representatives of faculty, students, other employee groups and members of the public.

GrizinWashington
Golden Bobcat

Post by GrizinWashington » Fri May 01, 2009 1:31 pm

Sheila Stearns is a huge Griz fan as well.

We're all here 'cause we ain't all there.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri May 01, 2009 1:47 pm

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:24 pm

I'm so honored :wink: After much collaboration with my family and friends I graciously accept the position....... :twisted:
I really don't have a problem with this if he is truly a good choice for the committee and displays no biases. But I just wonder what the rationale is behind having him on the committee. Why take the risk of the outcry or possible conflict?

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sat May 02, 2009 10:14 am

GrizinWashington wrote:Sheila Stearns is a huge Griz fan as well.
Seems like we're figured out why the U system is in the toilet then, mmmmmm? :wink:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?