Help or hurt?

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ChiOCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Help or hurt?

Post by ChiOCat » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:48 am

CHICAGO – The Rev. Jesse Jackson said Saturday that he has made contact with religious leaders in Iran and wants to take a group of multi-faith leaders to the country to plea for Roxana Saberi’s release.

Jackson said he applied for a visa to Iran last week and will continue applying until his request is granted. He said he wants to make a moral and humanitarian plea for her release.

“This is not a political trade off; this is a humanitarian plea. We want to say, ‘On the basis of humanity, please let her go,’ ” Jackson said. “When it’s just government to government, it’s a power play. She ends up being a pawn or a trophy in a pingpong game between nations.”

Jackson said he’s been in contact with Saberi’s family and her friends asked him to make the trip to Iran.

He said Saberi interviewed him a decade ago while she was a journalism student at Northwestern University in suburban Evanston. Jackson said he didn’t realize the connection until Saberi’s friends pointed it out to him recently.

In 1984, the civil rights leader met with then-President Hafez Assad of Syria. Jackson helped arrange the release of a Navy pilot whose plane had been shot down over Lebanon during an American airstrike against a Syrian anti-aircraft position weeks earlier.

Six years later, Jackson also helped win the release from Iraq of more than 700 foreign women and children detained after Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait.

"We are all vulnerable, and all fallible, with mortality our only certainty..." - Dr Kenneth Bock

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Help or hurt?

Post by kcatz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:29 pm

sounds like a pretty good trade.... =D^

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 pm

I agree. If Jackson stays in Iran I'll support this decision.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:20 am

TIrwin24 wrote:I agree. If Jackson stays in Iran I'll support this decision.

=D^ =D^

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:25 am

This seems to be the kind of thing that Jackson has actually been pretty helpful with in the past. I like seeing him devote his time to things like this as opposed to his race-baiting/extortion schemes of the past.

In the past, when he went overseas, he was probably more effective because he was seen as such a contrast to the popular image of America (he was black, essentially). I wonder if that impact is muted a bit now, though.