No more "Green"

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SonomaCat

No more "Green"

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:33 pm

I put this up on Facebook as part of my plan to change this nomenclature worldwide, and Bobcatnation.com is part II of my master plan.

Essentially, I propose we permanently retire the term "green" as a way to vaugely refer to environmental stuff. The term is starting to become like fingernails on chalkboard to me. It's taking on a fluffiness in our language right up there with "you know?" and incorrect uses of the word "literally." It's really bad, man.

So here's my proposal ... from here on out, no more vague references to "how green" something is ... because that means absolutely nothing! It's just a feel-good term that simultanously makes the speaker look brainwashed and makes anyone who believes it is their obligation to hate anything anyone who says "green" a lot (anyone who thinks environmentalism is a bad thing, mostly) disagree by default.

So no more "green." From now on, everybody has to speak in terms of "efficiency." Don't say "this home is really green." That will just annoy me. Tell me how much energy the home saves in quantifiable terms and then explain to me what that translate to in cost savings and, if you so desire, how much it reduces CO2 output.

When we put things in terms of "efficiency," then a good idea will be embraced by everyone (not just those who perk up when somebody says "green"). We want everyone to buy into good ideas that actually do benefit all of us, so let's just speak in those terms.

Don't get me wrong ... I am a HUGE proponent of new ideas and methods that reduce waste, pollution, and save us money and resources. I think most everyone is (and I can't think of a good reason why anyone wouldn't be). That's why we need to have a quiet execution and burial of the term "green" once and for all. It's nothing more than a fluffy marketing term that turns off as many people as it turns on (and then it only really preaches to the choir).

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: No more "Green"

Post by TIrwin24 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:17 pm

Sorry can't do it. Government agencies (EPA, Energy Star, WaterSense) all refer to the products and fixtures they produce as "green technology."

LEED and all of its certifications are using "green" and "sustainable" as their terms to open up home and business owners to becoming more eco-friendly.

Green just isn't a term that was invented when Al Gore came about, as it has been used since the early 80's. You can wish for it to disappear, but it won't.

Now I am not saying that there's a bunch of nimrods out there that try to market products as being "green" when they really aren't, because there is, and there are many people abusing the term. But to eliminate it all together simply won't work.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:44 pm

I put it on facebook ... the whole world will be talking about it and there will be "efficiency" rallies in 1,000,000 cities around the globe within days. That's how these internet tubes work.

Just remember, I gave you the chance to be an early adopter. Don't blame me when you are shunned by the cool kids when you drop your next "green" reference at a party. :wink:

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:47 pm

I personally say "sustainable" but to each his own.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 pm

I do pitch my share of sh!t at the "greenies', but on the worthless scale they're nothing in comparison to those in 'dark pink'. :wink:

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

econ_cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by econ_cat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:41 am

BAC I am with you! I hear the term "green" and my skin crawls. Another word that comes to mind is "organic." People use those two terms constantly without due diligence. Enterprising individuals could say something is green or organic without their product actually being so and kool-aid drinkers would line up in droves to buy it. I have no problems with either movement (as long as they stay movements and not government mandates) but I agree with BAC that the terms should be dropped.

ChiOCat

Post by ChiOCat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:39 pm

I vote BAC goes into Mr USA and makes it his platform!!

"We are all vulnerable, and all fallible, with mortality our only certainty..." - Dr Kenneth Bock

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Hmmmmmm-how about this for a term: Conservative?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:25 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Hmmmmmm-how about this for a term: Conservative?
Yep, that's the one term that is even squishier than "green!"

I say we retire that one as well.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:53 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:Hmmmmmm-how about this for a term: Conservative?
Yep, that's the one term that is even squishier than "green!"

I say we retire that one as well.
I think it's illustrative of how confusing all these "politcal labels" have become. In my opinion conservative fits the green philosophy in many, many ways-yet they're considered politically opposite. "Efficient" might be a bigger tent.

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:04 pm

In a similar vein, I'm also sick of the word "vegetarian." I think we need to start calling such people what they really are: people who favor the cruel, senseless, and needless killing of plants.

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

GOKATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by GOKATS » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Grizlaw wrote:In a similar vein, I'm also sick of the word "vegetarian." I think we need to start calling such people what they really are: people who favor the cruel, senseless, and needless killing of plants.
:yes: :thumbup:

FTG!!
[quote="GrizinWashington"]The Griz suck.
[quote=" tampa_griz"] (because China isn't a part of "Asia") .....

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Grizlaw wrote:In a similar vein, I'm also sick of the word "vegetarian." I think we need to start calling such people what they really are: people who favor the cruel, senseless, and needless killing of plants.
Have you ever sat at the edge of a wheat plant village and watched as the iron beast roars across the field, blotting out the sun with the chaff of the dead and bearing down on the innocent wheat plants, one by one? They try to run, but they can't. They just scream a scream of a million deaths as the iron beast beheads first their brothers and sisters, and then silences each of their screams with a slash of its cold steel blade.

The first time I witnessed it, I was shocked. The second time, I went mad. Mad, I tell ya. No human being should ever have to witness such carnage.

Can I get some balsamic vinegar and olive oil for this bread please?

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:49 pm

Without 'brown', there would be no 'green.' everything green, comes from brown.

Montana State IS what "they" think Montana is.