Anti-Tax Tea Partys

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rook
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:29 pm

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by rook » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 pm

I haven't gotten comfortable with the idea of all my info out on mint or its like. I have been using Microsoft Money since 2002, and have gotten so comfortable with it I don't see a reason to change. I keep my personal finances off line.



Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3274
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:04 pm
Location: Queens, NY

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by Grizlaw » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:37 pm

AlphaGriz1 wrote: The only advice I can offer is for them to sit around and wait for the government to do something for them, it shouldn't be very long. :roll:


Whatever they do, please do not hint that they should take action on their own such as creating something that is needed, starting a business or volunteering. That is why we have this HUGE sucking monster.
Oh don't worry your pretty little head about my unemployed friends, Alpha. They're all very smart, educated, and resourceful people, and I'm sure they'll all be fine. I didn't mention them in the hope that you would offer up some sage advice about what they should or shouldn't do with their lives -- they've all made it pretty far in life without you telling them what to do, and they don't need your help now.

The point is that real people are losing their jobs. It's not just some myth that the media is creating just to scare the hell out of us; it is happening. You can choose to bury your head in the sand and ignore it, but the facts are what they are.


I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

rook
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:29 pm

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by rook » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:39 pm

BAC, you raise a good point though. I could start spending money instead of saving and investing, then it would catch up to my tax outs. :)



User avatar
DriftCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1554
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:39 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by DriftCat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
MM7CAT wrote:
tampa_griz wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:I'd like to applaud anyone who takes a day off of work at the request of Fox News to protest in public areas against taxes while the rest of us are working and paying taxes on that work to pay for those public areas. =D^ :wink:
Dissent and criticism of our elected officials are the highest forms of patriotism that an American can practice.
I will be at the protest in Billings. I will be protesting and paying taxes at the same time. There goes your theory BAC.
You are being paid to attend the protest? Or are you just saying that you are dropping your envelope in the mail for your 2008 taxes while you are there? The former actually does refute what I said, the latter doesn't.
What would the world do without your knowledge BAC? I was being paid to attend. I am just barely smart enough to know the difference between actually accruing paid hours while not at work, thus, still actively paying taxes and mailing a check.


F.K.A. - MM7CAT

User avatar
BDizzle
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Billings and Missoula on the fall weekends

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by BDizzle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:47 pm

Image


GO GRIZ!

User avatar
SonomaCat
Moderator
Posts: 23938
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Contact:

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 pm

MM7CAT wrote:I am just barely smart enough to know the difference between actually accruing paid hours while not at work, thus, still actively paying taxes and mailing a check.
Huh?



User avatar
BDizzle
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:31 pm
Location: Billings and Missoula on the fall weekends

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by BDizzle » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 pm

I didn't see a single conservative protesting the invasion of Iraq. Cost: $3 trillion and counting. That money has vanished. It wasn't investing in anything domestic.

Bush ran up over $7 trillion in deficits, Reagan nearly tripled it. Frankly, this whole budget deficit argument is disingenuous. The issue at hand is WHAT we spend it on: tax cuts for the wealth and unnecessary military spending or healthcare and investment in sustainable energy infrastructure?


GO GRIZ!

User avatar
SonomaCat
Moderator
Posts: 23938
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Contact:

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Excellent points. Anyone who speaks on this topic and does so in a non-partisan way is probably someone who is worth paying attention to (as deficit spending has been a very valid issue for a long, long time). But we can see that a vast majority of the tea partiers are really just using this as a bash Democrats thing (like douche Hannity that Alpha talked about), which pretty much gives them away as being partisan hypocrites and not really worth paying much attention to at all.



User avatar
DriftCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1554
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:39 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by DriftCat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
MM7CAT wrote:I am just barely smart enough to know the difference between actually accruing paid hours while not at work, thus, still actively paying taxes and mailing a check.
Huh?
PTO


F.K.A. - MM7CAT

User avatar
SonomaCat
Moderator
Posts: 23938
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Contact:

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:08 pm

MM7CAT wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
MM7CAT wrote:I am just barely smart enough to know the difference between actually accruing paid hours while not at work, thus, still actively paying taxes and mailing a check.
Huh?
PTO
Okay, so you utilized some of your PTO time. Fantastic. Glad we have that all figured out now. I just couldn't figure out what you were comparing in your sentence above when you started with "difference between" before. No worries.



grizgirl
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 808
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Helena

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by grizgirl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:But we can see that a vast majority of the tea partiers are really just using this as a bash Democrats thing (like douche Hannity that Alpha talked about), which pretty much gives them away as being partisan hypocrites and not really worth paying much attention to at all.
These people are rogues. There's no other way to describe it. Partisan hypocrite = rogue.



User avatar
nevadacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1159
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:25 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by nevadacat » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:38 pm

grizgirl wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:But we can see that a vast majority of the tea partiers are really just using this as a bash Democrats thing (like douche Hannity that Alpha talked about), which pretty much gives them away as being partisan hypocrites and not really worth paying much attention to at all.
These people are rogues. There's no other way to describe it. Partisan hypocrite = rogue.
Rogues. Interesting term considering that it's tax day and the politicians are always begging for more of my money to spend. Guess that makes politicians, Democrats included, rogues.

"But we can see ...." Wow, that's like starting a mathematical proof with the phrase, "it is obvious that." It lends no credence to what follows.

The vast majority are just there to bash Democrats? Show me the data. Until then, I will consider your statement to be merely your opinion.

I only saw ONE sign out of dozens at the local rally that mentioned a Democrat, and that was Nevada's honorable Harry "Hey, buddy, let me have my son get that property rezoned for you so you can sell it for a tidy profit and contribute to my campaign" Reid. (Over 2000 of the estimated 2500 protesters had left by the time I drove by the site on the way home from work.) One of dozens is hardly a vast majority--it's not even a significant minority. But, admittedly, this was not a properly conducted study. So, I put little stock in extrapolating my momentary observations to Las Vegas as a whole, never mind to the nation.


...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

User avatar
SonomaCat
Moderator
Posts: 23938
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Contact:

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:13 am

nevadacat wrote: The vast majority are just there to bash Democrats? Show me the data. Until then, I will consider your statement to be merely your opinion.
Fine ... consider it only my opinion. If that works for you, go with it.

Do you agree that anyone who complains about deficits and does focus exclusively on Democrats with their complaints is a partisan hypocrite that should be largely ignored? What is your opinion on that point?



User avatar
nevadacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1159
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:25 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: Anti-Tax Tea Partys

Post by nevadacat » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:29 am

BDizzle wrote:I didn't see a single conservative protesting the invasion of Iraq. Cost: $3 trillion and counting. That money has vanished. It wasn't investing in anything domestic.

Bush ran up over $7 trillion in deficits, Reagan nearly tripled it. Frankly, this whole budget deficit argument is disingenuous. The issue at hand is WHAT we spend it on: tax cuts for the wealth and unnecessary military spending or healthcare and investment in sustainable energy infrastructure?
Then you missed it. Pat Buchanan protested. Congressman John Duncan protested. Add Robert Novak, Lew Rockwell, and Brent Scowcroft to the list. There were many conservatives who did. There were more that didn't. But, the fact that YOU didn't see one does not mean there weren't any. But, it's moot anyway. If conservatives generally were FOR invading Iraq, why would they protest it? Because it costs money? (I now use the term conservative very liberally here, no pun intended, as there are different "flavors" of conservatism just as there are different degrees of statism.) So, as you recognize, conservatives are not opposed to the government spending money; they are opposed to the government spending money on certain things that they believe to be either destructive to a civil society or because they don't believe the government has the authority.

The money vanished? Just because it was not investing in anything domestic, as you say (another nonsensical statement), doesn't mean it vanished. By that logic, the money spent on WWII was not domestic and the money spent on the Marshall Plan vanished.

As to your other points, tax cuts are NOT spending. I'm perplexed at how people can think such a thing. If I charge $5 less for an hour of tutoring, I have not spent $5. Whether that translates into a loss in revenue due to the price cut, or an eventual gain in revenue because I am tutoring many more hours because more people can now afford my services, remains to be seen. But, I am not spending more money. The government demanding less money does not mean it spending more. Military spending, health care, and energy infrastructure--those are points that can be debated on their own merits. Most conservatives believe that the government has the authority to do one but not the other two. That does not make their arguments about deficits disingenuous.


...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Post Reply