Shown up by the French

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Shown up by the French

Post by Cledus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:28 pm

I spent a summer on ship once - the USS Frederick. We also did an exercise with the USS Boxer on a different training mission - the same flagship of the 5th fleet that was in charge of this hijacking.

We had man overboard drills where you needed to get to your assigned space as quickly as possible. One time there actually was a man overboard and we had everyone in our space accounted for within a couple of minutes and the report off to the skipper. When you hear "man overboard!" over the 1MC, you don't know if it's a drill or not.

It wouldn't be hard to coordinate a plan in case of pirates about where people are supposed to go. They make it sound hard because these guys are civilians and lack discipline. You tell somebody to sweep the deck in the military and it gets done. You tell a civilian to sweep the deck and if he doesn't drag his feet, he'll probably tell you to go fk yourself. That's why they make it sound like it couldn't be possible.

To answer another question earlier, I almost forgot that I did carry a sidearm in the military. When I wasn't training I was our company's armory custodian. When in the armonry, I carried a loaded Beretta 92 - loaded, but without a chambered round.

A company of marine privates and PFC's could overtake these guys (we called the Somalis "skinnies"), which would be within expectation, right? So why can't grown ups put together a plan to hide up and lock themselves out once pirates are detected?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Article that lays out a lot of what we have been discussing:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090414/ap_ ... ew_options

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Cledus wrote:So why can't grown ups put together a plan to hide up and lock themselves out once pirates are detected?
I have no doubt that you could train the crew to all hide in a locked room when the pirate alarm is sounded. I'm just not convinced this would be a technique that would prevent the pirates from attaining their goals.

I'm not pooh-poohing your suggestions out of spite or anything, but rather just to loop back to the idea that if there was a simple solution to this long-standing threat, we wouldn't likely be the first ones to come up with it. There is a lot of money at stake here (not to mention human lives) -- I'm sure people with much more insight than any of us have racked their brains trying to come up with a cost-effective solution. Apparently there isn't a simple one out there, or else they would already be doing it and the pirate problem would have been solved.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
Cledus wrote:So why can't grown ups put together a plan to hide up and lock themselves out once pirates are detected?
I have no doubt that you could train the crew to all hide in a locked room when the pirate alarm is sounded. I'm just not convinced this would be a technique that would prevent the pirates from attaining their goals.

I'm not pooh-poohing your suggestions out of spite or anything, but rather just to loop back to the idea that if there was a simple solution to this long-standing threat, we wouldn't likely be the first ones to come up with it. There is a lot of money at stake here (not to mention human lives) -- I'm sure people with much more insight than any of us have racked their brains trying to come up with a cost-effective solution. Apparently there isn't a simple one out there, or else they would already be doing it and the pirate problem would have been solved.
There's no doubt we're not the first ones to come up with this brain buster, but getting off one's dead ass to execute it is another thread entirely. Having said that, it may not prevent the pirates from carrying out their objective but it could delay the process long enough for help to arrive to the extent the hijacking would no longer pass a cost-benefit test.

Ponycat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Ponycat » Mon May 04, 2009 1:25 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518788,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The devil made me do it the first time... the second time I done it on my own.