Media Coverage of Mass Shootings

A place to share your views and make your case on any issues fit to discuss.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

arvcat2
BobcatNation Letterman

Media Coverage of Mass Shootings

Post by arvcat2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Sadly, another mass shooting and there will no doubt be more. Like clockwork, all the media proceed into the predictable wall to wall coverage and analysis of whom, why, and what’s to blame. Blame on assault rifles (or all guns), lack of mental health treatments, law enforcement failures, and all the way to not having teachers and administrators armed to the teeth to defend the school. These are all complex and arguable issues, but rarely does the media hold up a mirror and address, what I believe, is their culpability in these terrible shootings.

Every massacre, front and center in the media’s coverage is the shooters name, picture, and anything that anyone knows or remotely has heard about the perpetrator. I am not a physiologist, but common sense tells me that however ill, deranged, angry, lonely, etc. these murderers may be, notoriety is something they know they will receive (and probably crave). Conventional wisdom is that the media will give their audience what they want. Perhaps I am out of touch or lack in the curiosity of mass murderers, but I could give a rates a#s knowing what these killers look like and as little as possible about their lives. I can only wish that our media deny these killers the notoriety they give them and to hell to any of an audience that is intrigued with these killers. How about wall to wall coverage of the victims?

I’ll spare you my thoughts on what I would have done to this captured nameless POS.

Bobcat4Ever
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Media Coverage of Mass Shootings

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:17 pm

As I read your first paragraph, my mind was already thinking what you wrote in the second. I think you are right, and the media coverage promotes the copycat effect as well. Let's put a moratorium on media coverage of terror activities, mass shootings and grizzly football for four years and measure the change — I suspect all would be greatly reduced. Sounds like a great project for a journalism school which is also a flagship research institution.

Truly, actions like eliminating media coverage should be tried. Condolences to the victims.

hokeyfine
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by hokeyfine » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:33 am

no media coverage of a mass shooting will never prevent or diminish the chance of another. There will be more, coming soon to a school or a place near you and killing a loved one of yours or you. Thats the reality.

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Grizlaw » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:54 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:As I read your first paragraph, my mind was already thinking what you wrote in the second. I think you are right, and the media coverage promotes the copycat effect as well. Let's put a moratorium on media coverage of terror activities, mass shootings and grizzly football for four years and measure the change — I suspect all would be greatly reduced. Sounds like a great project for a journalism school which is also a flagship research institution.

Truly, actions like eliminating media coverage should be tried. Condolences to the victims.
Censoring the media HAS been tried...in places like China and the Soviet Union. There may well have been fewer school shootings in those places, but limiting the media also has other consequences that you might not like...

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:15 am

Grizlaw wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:As I read your first paragraph, my mind was already thinking what you wrote in the second. I think you are right, and the media coverage promotes the copycat effect as well. Let's put a moratorium on media coverage of terror activities, mass shootings and grizzly football for four years and measure the change — I suspect all would be greatly reduced. Sounds like a great project for a journalism school which is also a flagship research institution.

Censoring the media HAS been tried...in places like China and the Soviet Union. There may well have been fewer school shootings in those places, but limiting the media also has other consequences that you might not like...
So you are saying that our fundamental rights are codified by amendments to the constitution for a good reason.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

WeedKillinCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:53 am

Instead of guns maybe the media should focus on the psych medications that these killers were on. I saw something the other day that the past mass killers in our country have been on some sort of psychological medications that make people do bad things. Is it true?

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

RickRund
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by RickRund » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:02 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:Instead of guns maybe the media should focus on the psych medications that these killers were on. I saw something the other day that the past mass killers in our country have been on some sort of psychological medications that make people do bad things. Is it true?
I think it is absolutely true. But because the media will not give us that news we will probably never know. Those stats will surely never be released by anyone in the know.
Ever heard the side effects of depression drugs that are advertised on tv. Yeah right, I want to take that garbage!!

hokeyfine

Post by hokeyfine » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:59 pm

psychiatric medications don't make people do bad things, they generally mellow most people. Claiming that its the medication's fault is a red herring. Mental health facilities don't pump you full of mind altering drugs, contrary to some articles on the internet.
gun regulation and mental health access are a great place to start.

WeedKillinCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Check out the side affects of ambien

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

hokeyfine

Post by hokeyfine » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:06 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:Check out the side affects of ambien
unfortunately, information like that is terribly misleading. when a drug goes through a clinical trial everything that a patient experiences while participating has to be recorded and put as a possible side effect. even if only 1 patient has a extreme negative side effect, it must be recorded and said to be a side effect from the drug. eventhough you have no idea if its caused by the medication or not.
Read the MSDS for salt,http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927593, again, misleading information to the average person.