MSU Women's Tennis Coach Albrecht Announces Retirement

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

MSU Women's Tennis Coach Albrecht Announces Retirement

Post by imacat » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:35 pm

http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2015/4/2 ... ?path=wten

“I’ve always joked that when the team starts beating me in warm-ups, I’m out,” Albrecht said. “I’ve had the best job for the last 15 years and I have been lucky to coach and build relationships with some outstanding young women over my time at MSU. I have cherished every moment
with every team. Now, it’s time to move on and write another chapter in my story"
The only coach to lead the Montana State women's tennis team in the 21st century is hanging up her racquet. After 15 years guiding the Bobcat netters, Denise Albrecht, announced her retirement on Friday afternoon.
The Great Falls native started coaching at MSU in the fall of 2000, and recently completed her final season a week ago. During that time, Albrecht posted 132 overall victories and 66 Big Sky Conference wins. In addition, she led the Bobcats to 13 Big Sky Conference Tournament appearances, while mentoring 57 All-Big Sky Academic picks, 25 All-Big Sky selections and 14 Big Sky Players of the Week.
"There are people in every successful organization that positively impact the entire operation with everything they do, and Denise is one of those people in Bobcat Athletics," MSU Director of Athletics Peter Fields said. "Her teams have achieved at a high level on the court, and excelled at an even higher level in the classroom and community. But more importantly, Denise's smile and energy always made the Fieldhouse and Tennis Center a better place to be, and her leadership has greatly affected so many young women who played for her. Everyone in Bobcat Athletics has appreciated Denise as a coach, but more so as a person, and we'll miss seeing her on a daily basis."
Off the court, the Bobcat women's tennis team surpassed expectations. Albrecht's squads earned the highest team grade-point average within the MSU Athletics Department the last three seasons. Last season, senior Ellie Crum earned Big Sky Conference Scholar Athlete of the Year accolades and is currently pursuing a doctorate degree in physical therapy at Mayo Clinic. In addition, Albrecht garnered NCAA Academic Progress Rates national recognition given to the top 10 percent of all teams in each sport, on four consecutive occasions.
"I've always joked that when the team starts beating me in warm-ups, I'm out," Albrecht said. "I've had the best job for the last 15 years and I have been lucky to coach and build relationships with some outstanding young women over my time at MSU. I have cherished every moment with every team. Now, it's time to move on and write another chapter in my story.
"I can't thank Peter Fields enough for all he does for the department and student-athletes on a daily basis," Albrecht said. "We have super administrators, sports information people, strength coaches, trainers, equipment people, academic advisors, support staff and coaches that never get enough credit for what it takes to make Montana State and Bobcat Athletics a special place."
The 2007 Big Sky Conference Coach of the Year has been a mainstay in Treasure State tennis for over 40 years. The Albrecht family has been instrumental in the development of tennis throughout the state. In 2002 the Albrecht family was named the Intermountain Tennis Family of the Year. Montana's largest junior tournament, the Kristin Albrecht Memorial, is named in her sister's honor.
Coming up in the junior ranks, Albrecht was the No. 1 ranked player in the state of Montana for over a decade. She was the 1978 state champion at Great Falls High. As a top collegiate player, she led the University of Utah to the 1982 Western Athletic Conference title with a
win over perennial WAC power, Brigham Young. Last year, Albrecht boasted having three former Montana Class AA state champions on her roster – Ellie Crum (Great Falls High), Liana Bates
(Kalispell Glacier) and Molly Crum (Great Falls High).
Albrecht's final day at Montana State is slated for May 31. A national search for her replacement will start in June. Copyright ©2015 Montana State University