Bobcat track signs 10

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Athletics here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Bobcat track signs 10

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:42 pm

MSU PRESS RELEASE

Montana State Track and Field welcomes a class of 10 student-athletes following National Signing Day on Feb. 5, 2014. The coaching staff sought out a strong class of runners and throwers who will be coming to Bozeman beginning this fall.

"Overall, we are really pleased with the quality of these kids, as students first, then athletes," said head coach Dale Kennedy. "We're excited to see their transition to college competition and have them be a part of the rich tradition of Montana State."

Throwers
ABBY BYMASTER: Bymaster will come to Montana State from Broadview, Mont. where she'll leave Broadview High School with nine total letters, including three in track and field for the Pirates. With her senior season still on the horizon, she'll still come to MSU with a strong prep resume. Most notably, she was the Class C State Champion in the shot put in 2013, after placing third the year before. As a freshman for the Pirates, she won the Class C Southern Division in the shot put, as well. Bymaster was a major contributor to the Pirate volleyball and basketball programs. Academically, she is a member of the National Honor Society, an academic all-state selection and will be the Class of 2014 Salutatorian.

Coach Carignan's Comments: "Abby has the best returning shot put mark in the state. She's been well-coached and is very team oriented with the values and discipline we look for in our student-athletes."

KYLE DOUGLASS: Douglass is a 2014 graduate of Sentinel High School where he'll leave with eight total letters, including four in track and field. As a junior, he set a new school record in the discus with a throw of 167-04 and was a three-time Class AA State qualifier. He also played football and basketball for the Spartans and was an honorable mention All-State selection in football. When he isn't participating in sports, Douglass puts serious focus on his academics, including several academic all-state honors and is a member of the honor roll at Sentinel. He's also a Special Olympics coach.

Coach Carignan's Comments: "Like Abby, Kyle also enters his final season with the best Class AA mark in his event. His academic focus fits in well with our program and his attitude is second-to-none."

TAYLOR PFISTER: Pfister comes to Bozeman from Hellgate High School in Missoula, Mont. with Blue and Gold in her blood. Her father, Alan, competed in the Pole Vault for Montana State in the early 80's and is her current coach at Hellgate. For the Knights, she's earned four letters in outdoor track and field, two in indoor and one in volleyball. Most recently, in her junior season, she placed second at the Class AA State Championships and set a new school record in the javelin with a throw of 139-03. She also took second place as a sophomore in the event. Thus far, she's been a three-time all-state honoree and participant. Pfister also boasts a strong academic resume as a two-time academic letter winner and a member of the National Honor Society.

Coach Carignan's Comments: "Taylor has exceptional strength and flexibility, which will serve her well in the javelin, and potentially with the shot and hammer throw. We'll look to her to make an immediate impact in our program."

Runners
TAYLOR BUSCHY: Buschy comes to Montana State from Loveland, Colo. She is a 2014 graduate of Loveland High School, where she earned four letters in track and field and two in cross country. As a junior, we placed second in the state in the pentathlon and earned an All-Front Range League nod in the 400. She was a part of the Colorado 5A State Championship team her freshman and sophomore seasons and participated in several events, including a state title in the 800 as a sophomore. This year, she is serving as the senior class vice president and is an active volunteer.

Coach Kennedy's Comments: "Taylor will bring some much-needed depth to our long sprints group and we'll expect her to be an immediate contributor on our relays. She's demonstrated outstanding talent in the 400 and 800, having led her high school team to top finishes in all three relays and we'll probably keep her focus in those events."

ANDIE CREEL: Creel is a local product coming from a strong bloodline of distance running at Bozeman High School. A two-time team captain, she'll leave BHS with four letters each in cross country and track and field. The Hawks' Class AA title in 2013 marked the lowest team score record. She served as team captain for both sports her junior and senior seasons and boasted a career high fourth-place finish in cross country her junior year. Off the course, she's a member of the National Honor Society, eight time All-State Academic honoree and an AP Scholar.

Coach Kennedy's Comments: "Andie has been a key cog in the Bozeman Cross Country wheel, as they've won seven straight Class AA State titles. She'll be called upon to immediately provide depth to a very improved group of distance runners."

SARAH DOLESE: The Bellingham, Wash. native earned four letters in track and field at Sehome High School. Her team won the Washington 2A State Championship in 2013 where she was a part of the 4x200 championship relay. Also in 2013, she was the state runner-up in the 200 and placed fourth in the 100 and holds school records in both events. Dolese is a four year member of the Honor Roll and volunteer's with the local middle school as a track and field coach.

Coach Kennedy's Comments: "Sarah has posted a brilliant high school career in the sprints and relays. Her focus will continue to be on the 100 and 200 and work on her development in the 400. She will provide immediate depth and she should be a true competitor in the Big Sky Conference."

MATT GOTTA: Comes to Bozeman by way of Bismarck, N.D. with a strong prep resume. Most recently, he earned the prestigious Gatorade Runner of the Year in North Dakota after winning the individual state championship title. On top of his individual state title, he's an all-state honoree, as well as a part of the state championship team his sophomore and junior seasons. Gotta participated in the Nike Nationals, an elite cross country meet, as well as the New Balance Track and Field National Championships where he earned All-American status. He is a member of the National Honor Society.

Coach Kennedy's Comments: "Matt will be a great addition to our distance runners, especially with our openings that we'll have after graduation. He has great high school credentials and we'll expect to see a lot from him right away in the 1,500 and up to the 10K."

CAROLINE HARDIN: Hardin is another local talent that has made her commitment to Montana State. She will graduate from Bozeman High with four letters in cross country and three in track and field. She's a two-time Class AA state champion after winning the individual cross country title her freshman and sophomore years for the Hawks. Most recently, she placed third in Montana at the state meet. In addition to performing at the state level, she has competed at the Nike US National meet and placed a career high-ninth place to become a second team All-American. She will graduate with honors this spring.

Coach Kennedy's Comments: "Like her high school teammate, Hardin is a Bozeman High distance juggernaut. She posted huge performances in just her freshman and sophomore seasons, winning back-to-back cross country title and earning Gatorade Player of the Year honors. She faced a lot of adversity her junior year but her resiliency will fit in well with our program."

CHRISTOPHER LANGE: A multiple-letter winner from Big Sky High School in Missoula, Lange brings a strong high school career to Bozeman. As a part of the Montana Class AA State Championship team as a junior, he was an all-state selection in the 110 hurdles, 300 hurdles and the relays. In addition to his athletic accolades, he is an 11-time Academic All-State selection and a member of the National Honor Society.

Coach Kennedy's Comments: "Christopher is going to help fill a big hole for the future of Bobcat hurdles. He brings solid credentials in those events and will also be a part of our relays."

ANTHONY SCHMULZ: Schmulz comes to MSU from Hamilton, Mont. He earned four letters each in cross country and track for the Broncs and was the 2013 individual champion at the Class A State Championship, marking the first in school history. In outdoor track, he was the runner-up in the mile, while placing third in the two-mile race, both of which he holds the school record. Academically, he's spent all four years on the honor roll and is a two-time Academic All-State honoree.

Coach Kennedy's Comments: "Anthony is another important addition to our family of distance runners and he'll compete right away with Bobcat Cross Country. He'll compete in a wide range of distance events, as well."

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Re: Bobcat track signs 10

Post by SACCAT » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:01 am

Sounds like a great class.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:18 am

Yep, looks good. Need a sprinter to replace Wilson.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:32 pm

Dale Kennedy said it was the most he'd had sign on the first day of the signing period since he's been at MSU and that's a time line that's longer than my lifetime! Haha, but in all honestly, Dale said it was fun getting all those letters of intent. Athletes can still sign until mid April (Football guys too), but the football guys almost always get it out right away. Track could have several other commits trickle in.
Hawks86 wrote:Yep, looks good. Need a sprinter to replace Wilson.
Hawks86, I asked Dale about Matt Tokarz yesterday. The stud triple jumper slipped on the ice and fell and hurt his back pretty badly. He's sitting out this season. When he, Jake Mushaben and Kevin Close return to MSU's jump corps, the Bobcats will be dangerous for outdoor season.

Senior distance runner Cristian Soratos is yet to run this indoor season either. He will run on Friday.

Thanks for reading! I want to cover track more, I just need the readers to make it worth my time. But I love track. It's my favorite aside from football.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks Colter. :thumbup:

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Dale Kennedy said it was the most he'd had sign on the first day of the signing period since he's been at MSU and that's a time line that's longer than my lifetime! Haha, but in all honestly, Dale said it was fun getting all those letters of intent. Athletes can still sign until mid April (Football guys too), but the football guys almost always get it out right away. Track could have several other commits trickle in.
Hawks86, I asked Dale about Matt Tokarz yesterday. The stud triple jumper slipped on the ice and fell and hurt his back pretty badly. He's sitting out this season. When he, Jake Mushaben and Kevin Close return to MSU's jump corps, the Bobcats will be dangerous for outdoor season.

Senior distance runner Cristian Soratos is yet to run this indoor season either. He will run on Friday.

Thanks for reading! I want to cover track more, I just need the readers to make it worth my time. But I love track. It's my favorite aside from football.
Is the meet this Friday here in Bozeman?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:53 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Dale Kennedy said it was the most he'd had sign on the first day of the signing period since he's been at MSU and that's a time line that's longer than my lifetime! Haha, but in all honestly, Dale said it was fun getting all those letters of intent. Athletes can still sign until mid April (Football guys too), but the football guys almost always get it out right away. Track could have several other commits trickle in.

Yes, sir. There is a dual here on Friday.

Here's all T&F schedule: http://msubobcats.com/schedule.aspx?path=trackfield&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:13 pm

coachouert wrote:
SACCAT wrote:

Yes, sir. There is a dual here on Friday.

Here's all T&F schedule: http://msubobcats.com/schedule.aspx?path=trackfield&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I see another year where you didn't make the track scholarship list....I assume you were passed over for an out of state kid? BTW: what's the MSU/UM ratio for in-state vs out-of-state athletes for track scholarships?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:06 pm

wbtfg wrote:
I see another year where you didn't make the track scholarship list....I assume you were passed over for an out of state kid? BTW: what's the MSU/UM ratio for in-state vs out-of-state athletes for track scholarships?
How many scholarships do you think track & cross country get ?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
How many scholarships do you think track & cross country get ?
I believe it's the equivalent of nine full rides each for men's and women's. I highly doubt there's a single full ride athlete on the track team despite the fact that I think Jeff Mohl is the best athlete at Montana State, man or woman, any sport.

The NCAA Division I limit is 12.6 for men and 18 for women.

mchammer
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by mchammer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:10 pm

We have 12.6 for men and 18 for women. These include cross country. Each season has it's own championship for cross, indoor and outdoor track. So 20.6 scholarships cover 6 of the required 14 sports required for DI membership.