WBB a positive sign???

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: WBB a positive sign???

Post by rivercat » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:42 pm

I'm on the fence. I think both KJ and Taylor were forced into roles, due to injuries, that weren't their strengths. Taylor's tall but she not a natural post. Her best games in past years were her shooting mid range and 3 pt balls. KJ was forced to drive on defenses that were able to sag because of the lack of perimeter shooting.

If KJ and Taylor are able to play to their strengths next year, they can add to a well functioning team. By well functioning, I mean a team that can shoot on the perimeter first which then frees up the mid and low game.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:55 pm

Wow. Of all the takes to have, MSU women's basketball being better off next year without Limardo and Janssen is...definitely one of them. I'd much, much rather have those two return for a 5th year than to use those two roster spots on a couple crapshoots out of the Transfer Portal.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:56 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:55 pm
Wow. Of all the takes to have, MSU women's basketball being better off next year without Limardo and Janssen is...definitely one of them. I'd much, much rather have those two return for a 5th year than to use those two roster spots on a couple crapshoots out of the Transfer Portal.
Ha. Yeah, I’m glad they are coming back.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:30 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Amen!

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:30 pm

I think one only needs to take a look at the past 5 years (or further back if you wish) at the playing time that freshman players have gotten on coach Binford's teams to realize that if you're good enough you will get good playing time regardless of your year in school. So it doesn't particularly worry me that we have a few 5th year players coming back. Yes that may mean that there isn't room for the bottom 20% of what would've been the incoming freshman class but if that bottom 20% is determined to play college basketball there is likely some room available at lower collegiate levels bumping out the bottom %%s there.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:51 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:30 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Amen!
You two sure don’t have much faith in the worthiness and potential of the underclassman/recruits to fill the void if Janssen and/or Limardo hadn’t returned. If they hadn’t returned, I would’ve been just fine with taking at least one transfer “crapshoot” on a sharpshooting guard.

Specifically, & frankly, I question the irreplaceability that is being placed here on Janssen. A prior three-year reserve who will go back to being a reserve next season if a healthy Deden returns. IMHO, her playing time would be better suited, maybe short term and definitely long term, going to some up and coming underclassman.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:12 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:51 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Amen!
You two sure don’t have much faith in the worthiness and potential of the underclassman/recruits to fill the void if Janssen and/or Limardo hadn’t returned. If they hadn’t returned, I would’ve been just fine with taking at least one transfer “crapshoot” on a sharpshooting guard.

Specifically, & frankly, I question the irreplaceability that is being placed here on Janssen. A prior three-year reserve who will go back to being a reserve next season if a healthy Deden returns. IMHO, her playing time would be better suited, maybe short term and definitely long term, going to some up and coming underclassman.
I guess I do have faith in MSU's coach who has 329 more wins as a D-1 head coach than I do to determine which players give MSU the best shot at winning a championship next year. Because make no mistake, that is and that should be the goal for MSU every season. Even with Limardo and Janssen returning, MSU still has a roster full of underclassmen including three incoming freshmen and if they're good enough to unseat the seniors for more playing time, they will. Binford hasn't hit on a great transfer player since Fallyn Frieje and that was before the Portal existed. I'll happily take the known commodities of Limardo and Janssen over transfer portal players or freshmen who still remain unsigned at this very late point in the recruiting cycle.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:41 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Amen!

Our biggest weakness this past season was lack of depth, due to injuries. We wore out in 4th quarter time and time again. If Johnson and Hein return and return healthy, Janssen can move out to the perimeter again and focus on her outside shot. She might be a reserve next season with her huge experience coming off the bench. Limardo is absolutely a game changer and a player I'm sure other Big Sky coaches did not want to see come back. Limardo's shot suffered after her injury-I'm sure she'll get it back, but her defensive ability would be impossible to replicate for any in coming player. I'm also stoked to see what a high low combination with Dykstra and Deden will look like for an entire season. If Picton, Bunyan, and Philip can improve their outside shooting next year's team is going to be really, really good. Whatever we get from the incoming freshmen will be a bonus and I expect we'll get some good things out of them.

Also, players can still improve a lot from their 4th season to their 5th if they're hungry. Look at Robert Ford, Dalton Knecht, Raequon Battle, Darius Brown, Kola Bad Bear, etc.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:53 pm

We are keeping 3 players, by their choice that could have moved on or quit. Earlier there was an argument that our recruiting had slipped and one of the factors was players didn't stay. We are keeping 3 experienced leaders, who likely were a big part of the players executing as a team this year. I like that our outstanding incoming freshman class will get some help from these ladies. Another aspect is it gives our sophomores becoming juniors a chance to have another year to develop their leadership skills and move naturally into the senior positions. Finally these are seasoned players and Coach Binford must be keeping them because she sees added value to having them on the team. In the end I think the team will be more cohesive, play better and go further with Lexi, KJ and Taylor. Given the team roster for 2024-25 I'm excited to come watch!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:54 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:41 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
Amen!

Our biggest weakness this past season was lack of depth, due to injuries. We wore out in 4th quarter time and time again. If Johnson and Hein return and return healthy, Janssen can move out to the perimeter again and focus on her outside shot. She might be a reserve next season with her huge experience coming off the bench. Limardo is absolutely a game changer and a player I'm sure other Big Sky coaches did not want to see come back. Limardo's shot suffered after her injury-I'm sure she'll get it back, but her defensive ability would be impossible to replicate for any in coming player. I'm also stoked to see what a high low combination with Dykstra and Deden will look like for an entire season. If Picton, Bunyan, and Philip can improve their outside shooting next year's team is going to be really, really good. Whatever we get from the incoming freshmen will be a bonus and I expect we'll get some good things out of them.

Also, players can still improve a lot from their 4th season to their 5th if they're hungry. Look at Robert Ford, Dalton Knecht, Raequon Battle, Darius Brown, Kola Bad Bear, etc.
I’m with ya on all counts.

I trust Coach to know what’s going on with the team and what she needs to be successful. There are too many unknowns to us outsiders but in the different scenarios I see, KJ and Taylor returning provides a lot of strength and flexibility to the team. I see plenty of opportunity to develop the key up and coming folks. I haven’t seen the desire to become a one and done transfer portal machine but as noted it has been used selectively in the past for the right player.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:23 am

I agree we are glad to have KJ and Taylor back, but Jack is going to be hard to replace. She held that team together this year. I hope KJ, Taylor or Lexi can provide the leadership Jack gave us and Jansen, Philip, Bunyan, Picton or someone else can improve our outside game.

2024 Resume dominance

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:30 am

Lexi will DEFINITELY provide the leadership. But yes, we really do need some girls to up the outside shooting game next year.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:06 am

HelenaCat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:30 am
Lexi will DEFINITELY provide the leadership. But yes, we really do need some girls to up the outside shooting game next year.
Agreed! I hope the MSU team was watching the South Carolina/Oregon State game yesterday when they were discussing the South Carolina player who was left completely alone at the 3-point line by Iowa in last year's Final Four because they knew she couldn't make one. She took 200 shots per day over the off-season and raised her percentage to 35% this year, which is better than any MSU player shot from 3 this year with the exception of Ella Johnson who only had 8 attempts and made 3. The MSU players have a great opportunity to improve in this area between now and November, if they can score 5-10 more points per game on average while playing the same level of defense as this past year they'll be very tough to beat.