Logie on Wazzu potential candidate list

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Logie on Wazzu potential candidate list

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:09 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:51 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:36 pm
Any older coaches out there that want to retire in Bozeman and build a program?
Yeah, definitely what we want is a coach on the downside of his career looking to settle down.
Why not? Does age make them a bad coach or recruiter?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:12 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:12 pm
Okay, if the Cats lose Coach Young Sheldon, which it looks like that’s going to happen, then they are once again in rebuild mode with little to no time to hire a coach and build a team…..again. This is just frigin funny as all h#$@.
No time to hire a coach? The season just ended! When, exactly, do you think most coaches leave?
Little to no time. Same thing happened last season...remember? Logie was the last Div 1 coach hired. He was late to the recruiting game as a result. He even mentioned how difficult it was to put together a team. Granted, he lost more, but I know this isn't going to be easy. It's still to be determined if the Cats lose their recruits too.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:09 pm

I do not see any official statement about the hiring of Logie at WSU. Nothing is done yet.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:21 pm

Update from Bleacher Report … Logie sounds like the front runner …

https://247sports.com/college/washingto ... 229334300/

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:30 pm

WSU fans pulling out all the stops to get Coach Logie to accept their offer:

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:39 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:12 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Okay, if the Cats lose Coach Young Sheldon, which it looks like that’s going to happen, then they are once again in rebuild mode with little to no time to hire a coach and build a team…..again. This is just frigin funny as all h#$@.
No time to hire a coach? The season just ended! When, exactly, do you think most coaches leave?
Little to no time. Same thing happened last season...remember? Logie was the last Div 1 coach hired. He was late to the recruiting game as a result. He even mentioned how difficult it was to put together a team. Granted, he lost more, but I know this isn't going to be easy. It's still to be determined if the Cats lose their recruits too.
When do you expect new hires to happen? Right after the end of the season seems about right to me.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:41 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:09 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Yeah, definitely what we want is a coach on the downside of his career looking to settle down.
Did I say anything about age?

MSU is in a middling conference. Any coach that is looking to retire here is more than likely on the tail end of his career, and coming from a more prestigious program or conference. That’s not who we want. We’re a stepping stone. Own it. Build the program hiring good, young, coaches that are looking to advance themselves and their programs.

Obviously I want Logie to stay longer than a year, but this sure does make hiring a good candidate a heck of a lot easier.

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:48 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:30 pm
WSU fans pulling out all the stops to get Coach Logie to accept their offer:

The comments though!! 😂

Cats92
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cats92 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:55 pm

I mean if he does go, being the head coach at MSU has to be the hottest job in the country right?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:13 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:39 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:12 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
When do you expect new hires to happen? Right after the end of the season seems about right to me.
I guess that depends on when the season ends for most of the college teams and that was a while ago.

JudithBasinCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by JudithBasinCat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:16 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:41 pm
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

MSU is in a middling conference. Any coach that is looking to retire here is more than likely on the tail end of his career, and coming from a more prestigious program or conference. That’s not who we want. We’re a stepping stone. Own it. Build the program hiring good, young, coaches that are looking to advance themselves and their programs.

Obviously I want Logie to stay longer than a year, but this sure does make hiring a good candidate a heck of a lot easier.
That’s all well and good but eventually we are going to loose the people that are finding these good young coaches.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:27 pm

JudithBasinCat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:16 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

That’s all well and good but eventually we are going to loose the people that are finding these good young coaches.
Yeah. That’s almost every school in the nation.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:29 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

“Downside of his career looking to settle down” would mean an older coach.

Should we get rid of Binford then? She seems to want to stick it out here for awhile.

If Logie leaves, did he advance the program? Has he really built something here? His team did get hot at the right time this year, but is the program built for the long haul or sustained success? Was the program in a good spot after Sprinkle left? You could say yes and no to that one. Sprinkle did advance the program to new heights but it was also torn down when he left. I don’t know what the right answer is, but I’m not so sure just bringing in young coaches that are hot to get big paydays is the way to go either. Unfortunately, I think that is probably what’s going to happen again and again and again. Tough for me to continue to get behind it again and again and again though.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:38 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:29 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Should we get rid of Binford then? She seems to want to stick it out here for awhile.

If Logie leaves, did he advance the program? Has he really built something here? His team did get hot at the right time this year, but is the program built for the long haul or sustained success? Was the program in a good spot after Sprinkle left? You could say yes and no to that one. Sprinkle did advance the program to new heights but it was also torn down when he left. I don’t know what the right answer is, but I’m not so sure just bringing in young coaches that are hot to get big paydays is the way to go either. Unfortunately, I think that is probably what’s going to happen again and again and again. Tough for me to continue to get behind it again and again and again though.
I’ll guarantee you if Binford had an offer like Sprinkle or Logie, she’d be out of here as fast as she could. We aren’t a destination spot, we’re a stepping stone.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:46 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:38 pm
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

I’ll guarantee you if Binford had an offer like Sprinkle or Logie, she’d be out of here as fast as she could. We aren’t a destination spot, we’re a stepping stone.
Oh, I bet she has had other offers. She and her husband and their family seem to love it here.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:

I'm not sure I'd describe Logie as a hot young coach looking to get a payday. He was at Whitworth for 8 years and Point Loma for 4, so I think there was a reasonable expectation that he'd be at MSU for a while before moving on. Due to his unexpected success this year, he has found himself in a situation that I doubt he thought would be possible after one year, but it's an opportunity that he'd be dumb to not explore if a school like WSU is interested.

The thing is that programs are getting torn apart seemingly year by year no matter what happens. If you have success at a school like MSU, your coach gets hired away and the players follow or chase opportunities at a higher level. If you don't have success, the players aren't happy and can very easily transfer out even if there's continuity on the coaching staff (see Idaho State). It will be interesting to see if fan support for college athletics declines over time due to the ridiculous amount of player movement that's happening combined with a system that increasingly favors the schools with the deepest NIL pockets over the smaller schools who can't compete in that area.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:48 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:38 pm
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

You talk like you know something about basketball. Maybe we can revisit your take on our team last year, specifically on Lecholat and Patterson.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:15 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:46 pm
AFCAT wrote:

I'm not sure I'd describe Logie as a hot young coach looking to get a payday. He was at Whitworth for 8 years and Point Loma for 4, so I think there was a reasonable expectation that he'd be at MSU for a while before moving on. Due to his unexpected success this year, he has found himself in a situation that I doubt he thought would be possible after one year, but it's an opportunity that he'd be dumb to not explore if a school like WSU is interested.

The thing is that programs are getting torn apart seemingly year by year no matter what happens. If you have success at a school like MSU, your coach gets hired away and the players follow or chase opportunities at a higher level. If you don't have success, the players aren't happy and can very easily transfer out even if there's continuity on the coaching staff (see Idaho State). It will be interesting to see if fan support for college athletics declines over time due to the ridiculous amount of player movement that's happening combined with a system that increasingly favors the schools with the deepest NIL pockets over the smaller schools who can't compete in that area.
Not arguing your first paragraph, but if Logie wasn’t hot for the big payday, then he wouldn’t be leaving. Heck, I’d leave too if I was offered a huge payday.

Now, my statement was more about what kind of a coach should the Cats be looking for after Logie. Do the Cats use the same playbook in hiring a younger coach and hope for the same type of short term success or go a different direction and hope to build something for a longer term? I think we all know what’s going to happen. Fingers crossed once again. I do think college basketball at the lower levels is in trouble though. I can’t see how they can sustain this sort of a business model, rosters gutted every year, coaches bailing. Maybe the fans will change though and become more accepting of it, but a I have my doubts. What do I know though?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:46 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:15 pm
Not arguing your first paragraph, but if Logie wasn’t hot for the big payday, then he wouldn’t be leaving. Heck, I’d leave too if I was offered a huge payday.

Now, my statement was more about what kind of a coach should the Cats be looking for after Logie. Do the Cats use the same playbook in hiring a younger coach and hope for the same type of short term success or go a different direction and hope to build something for a longer term? I think we all know what’s going to happen. Fingers crossed once again. I do think college basketball at the lower levels is in trouble though. I can’t see how they can sustain this sort of a business model, rosters gutted every year, coaches bailing. Maybe the fans will change though and become more accepting of it, but a I have my doubts. What do I know though?
We're all motivated by money at least at some level and I'd take the opportunity too if someone came along tomorrow and offered me triple or quadruple my current salary to do the same job elsewhere, but I guess what I'm saying is that Logie doesn't strike me as someone for whom money and prestige are his primary motivation or reason for going into coaching as a career. I doubt he came to MSU thinking he'd be Washington State's #1 candidate a year later, but here we are and there are some things about that job other than the money alone that would surely be appealing to him.

For the general question of which type of coach MSU should hire if they need to do it again, I think you have to go with the best coach available and not let the question of "how long will he stay" factor into that decision. An expansive network of regional recruiting connections is going to be more important than ever when coaches are being forced in the Transfer Portal era to recruit a greater proportion of their roster each year. Logie has exactly what MSU should want in a coach, but unfortunately it's also exactly what a school like Utah State or Washington State wants too.

I think fans are going to get turned off as it becomes more and more expensive to support their favorite teams. Pay money to join your school's Booster Club so you can pay even more money for game tickets, and on top of that you now also feel the pressure to donate to NIL so that your school can afford to recruit better players who will win more games. For the first time in over 20 years since I graduated and started buying season tickets, I have to seriously question how long I'll be able to financially justify the cost of being a football season ticket holder at MSU when the cost rises exponentially every year while games have become easily accessible to watch on TV at no additional cost to what I'm already paying for TV service and an ESPN+ membership. I don't blame MSU for charging more when the demand exists to support it, but it's just a personal decision many of us will need to make here in the next few years.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:09 am

If this happens it is sure going to be tough to stomach paying attention to mid-major basketball, I get coaches and players are going to leave….but it’s just not fun watching the end of a successful season and know you’re going to get gutted and have to start over. It’s not just us….look at the Summit. Basically anyone who was all conference and had eligibility left hit the portal. A lot of the good players in the Mountain West are leaving too. I don’t think this model is sustainable for any teams outside the power conferences….and a lot of fans are going to tune out.