Logie on Wazzu potential candidate list

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Logie on Wazzu potential candidate list

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:15 am

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:46 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:38 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:29 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:41 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:09 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:51 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:36 pm
Any older coaches out there that want to retire in Bozeman and build a program?
Yeah, definitely what we want is a coach on the downside of his career looking to settle down.
Why not? Does age make them a bad coach or recruiter?
Did I say anything about age?

MSU is in a middling conference. Any coach that is looking to retire here is more than likely on the tail end of his career, and coming from a more prestigious program or conference. That’s not who we want. We’re a stepping stone. Own it. Build the program hiring good, young, coaches that are looking to advance themselves and their programs.

Obviously I want Logie to stay longer than a year, but this sure does make hiring a good candidate a heck of a lot easier.
“Downside of his career looking to settle down” would mean an older coach.

Should we get rid of Binford then? She seems to want to stick it out here for awhile.

If Logie leaves, did he advance the program? Has he really built something here? His team did get hot at the right time this year, but is the program built for the long haul or sustained success? Was the program in a good spot after Sprinkle left? You could say yes and no to that one. Sprinkle did advance the program to new heights but it was also torn down when he left. I don’t know what the right answer is, but I’m not so sure just bringing in young coaches that are hot to get big paydays is the way to go either. Unfortunately, I think that is probably what’s going to happen again and again and again. Tough for me to continue to get behind it again and again and again though.
I’ll guarantee you if Binford had an offer like Sprinkle or Logie, she’d be out of here as fast as she could. We aren’t a destination spot, we’re a stepping stone.
Oh, I bet she has had other offers. She and her husband and their family seem to love it here.
I didn’t say she hasn’t had offers, I said offers like Sprinkle and Logie.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:16 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:48 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Yeah, definitely what we want is a coach on the downside of his career looking to settle down.

MSU is in a middling conference. Any coach that is looking to retire here is more than likely on the tail end of his career, and coming from a more prestigious program or conference. That’s not who we want. We’re a stepping stone. Own it. Build the program hiring good, young, coaches that are looking to advance themselves and their programs.

Obviously I want Logie to stay longer than a year, but this sure does make hiring a good candidate a heck of a lot easier.

Should we get rid of Binford then? She seems to want to stick it out here for awhile.

If Logie leaves, did he advance the program? Has he really built something here? His team did get hot at the right time this year, but is the program built for the long haul or sustained success? Was the program in a good spot after Sprinkle left? You could say yes and no to that one. Sprinkle did advance the program to new heights but it was also torn down when he left. I don’t know what the right answer is, but I’m not so sure just bringing in young coaches that are hot to get big paydays is the way to go either. Unfortunately, I think that is probably what’s going to happen again and again and again. Tough for me to continue to get behind it again and again and again though.
I’ll guarantee you if Binford had an offer like Sprinkle or Logie, she’d be out of here as fast as she could. We aren’t a destination spot, we’re a stepping stone.
You talk like you know something about basketball. Maybe we can revisit your take on our team last year, specifically on Lecholat and Patterson.
If never being wrong is a new qualifier for posting here, I’m quite afraid that traffic is going to decrease significantly.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:24 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:29 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:24 am
Well that’s an encouraging sign….

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:34 am

That’s a nice surprise for the morning!

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:38 am

Oh hell yeah. I thought there was next to a zero chance. So glad we can have some continuity.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:47 am

Good deal.

Sports is not bigger than life

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:49 am

Wow! Loyalty you just don’t see that often. That’s awesome. I gained even more respect for him.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:50 am

Wow, very happy to eat my words on this one! I thought Logie was 100% gone yesterday when the WSU offer was reported and Turner entered the portal at almost the exact same time.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:51 am

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:09 am
If this happens it is sure going to be tough to stomach paying attention to mid-major basketball, I get coaches and players are going to leave….but it’s just not fun watching the end of a successful season and know you’re going to get gutted and have to start over. It’s not just us….look at the Summit. Basically anyone who was all conference and had eligibility left hit the portal. A lot of the good players in the Mountain West are leaving too. I don’t think this model is sustainable for any teams outside the power conferences….and a lot of fans are going to tune out.
I have same feelings. Do you think though that top high school guys, (not Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina type) will have less chances and go to mid major and below to get quicker time and improve those teams as well? Maybe it is all relative and all play will improve?

Sports is not bigger than life

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:55 am

tdub wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:29 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:24 am
Well that’s an encouraging sign….
Wow Great news this morning. I didn’t think there was any way he wasn’t leaving. Great job to Leon and crew for hanging onto him

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:57 am

tetoncat wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:51 am
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:09 am
If this happens it is sure going to be tough to stomach paying attention to mid-major basketball, I get coaches and players are going to leave….but it’s just not fun watching the end of a successful season and know you’re going to get gutted and have to start over. It’s not just us….look at the Summit. Basically anyone who was all conference and had eligibility left hit the portal. A lot of the good players in the Mountain West are leaving too. I don’t think this model is sustainable for any teams outside the power conferences….and a lot of fans are going to tune out.
I have same feelings. Do you think though that top high school guys, (not Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina type) will have less chances and go to mid major and below to get quicker time and improve those teams as well? Maybe it is all relative and all play will improve?
Players should definitely see that as a solid option. Go to podunk U, and in a year or two get recognized as a standout player and get more NIL than if they had gone to the big U originally and sat on the bench for a year.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

Pucket21
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Pucket21 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:03 am

Holy Moly, I'm thinking he has enough confidence in success that it's better to continue to build rather than start over again in a very tough situation. Gotta love someone who doesn't chase every $$$. That alone will raise his future prospects. thank you Matt Logie!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 am

I wonder if he got a new contract and for how much. Wasn't that rumor floated out yesterday?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:10 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 am
I wonder if he got a new contract and for how much. Wasn't that rumor floated out yesterday?
I'd say it's a given that he received a contract extension and pay raise, similar to when Sprinkle got one after the 2022 season when he turned down the San Diego job.

4Mare
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 4Mare » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:12 am

This morning:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:18 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:15 am
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:46 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Oh, I bet she has had other offers. She and her husband and their family seem to love it here.
I didn’t say she hasn’t had offers, I said offers like Sprinkle and Logie.
Well, you’re definitely correct on that then since only one NCAA head women’s basketball coach makes more than Sprinkle does in salary.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-bas ... kim-mulkey

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:22 am

Hell yeah!

I thought he was gone for sure. Great news!!!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:31 am

Respect to Coach Logie, I thought he was gone. Very excited about what next year looks like for the Cats. Some good reads on the Wazzu forums... they're livid with their AD right being outbid by a Big Sky team.

Thanks for staying Coach.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:34 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:16 am
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:48 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

You talk like you know something about basketball. Maybe we can revisit your take on our team last year, specifically on Lecholat and Patterson.
If never being wrong is a new qualifier for posting here, I’m quite afraid that traffic is going to decrease significantly.
Maybe if you were a little more humble in your statements, people wouldn’t call you out when you are wrong. But then again, your username is belligerent so we know what you thrive on.