Reffing

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Reffing

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:11 pm

Opening tip in OT was off them but they still got the ball. There were at least two Bobcat 3's that got "blocked" but the replay clearly showed contact... no whistle. Finally, Ford gets molested while driving to the hoop, no call, and miraculously he still makes the bucket..... and then he plays good hard D and gets whistled for the foul, taking him out of the game.

I was probably just watching all this through my bobcat bias but what is the opinion of some of the hoops experts here? I'm assuming it was a pretty fair called game in terms of the reffing but watching it felt like we got hosed a lot. They probably got hosed too but I wasn't really watching for that, lol.

Ironically, when we went into meltdown mode and Grambling started avalanching us, I thought all those calls, non calls, everything was spot on with the reffing and the Cats just couldn't stop turning the ball over, no complaints there. It was just all those other times of the game where I felt the calls weren't good.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Re: Reffing

Post by tetoncat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Couple ticky tac calls but overall good. Thought they got an and 1 on very little contact by Olmstead and one Ford took charge and it was no call. He fell and also got hit in head by extended arm.both in 2nd.
Too many offensive RB given up 2nd half , missed some open 3s with chance to blow them out, Bad stretch of TO in 2nd and while we only had 1 more they outscored Cats by I think 16 on them. Poor FT %. KEY WAS Ford getting 3rd and 4th foul. They went iso and his guy drove. No zone or doubles to help even though they hadn't made many 3s.

Sports is not bigger than life

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 pm

Both teams got the benefit of a couple questionable calls, but overall the refs had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of that game. The Bobcats got rattled and started turning the ball over in the second half and then could not get a stop in OT. That's why they lost, end of story.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:44 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:30 pm
Both teams got the benefit of a couple questionable calls, but overall the refs had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of that game. The Bobcats got rattled and started turning the ball over in the second half and then could not get a stop in OT. That's why they lost, end of story.
I agree. One last question however... and I'm just bringing this up again because I'm grumpy LOL. Opening tip of the OT went off Grambling yet they got to start with the ball. The announcers even commented that Cats got hosed. I agree that one call probably wouldn't have changed the outcome but it's a pretty important possession in a five minute game. Oh well, I'm moving on now.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:47 pm

Just out of curiosity….why couldn’t they replay the jump ball out of bounds, as it did appear to be off of Grambling. Not saying it cost the game, but they have pretty much reviewed the last 6 out of bounds in the Boise State game…..

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:55 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:47 pm
Just out of curiosity….why couldn’t they replay the jump ball out of bounds, as it did appear to be off of Grambling. Not saying it cost the game, but they have pretty much reviewed the last 6 out of bounds in the Boise State game…..
I believe out of bounds calls can only be reviewed with less than two minutes left in the game.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:55 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:47 pm
I believe out of bounds calls can only be reviewed with less than two minutes left in the game.
But doesn't that carry over to OT. I remember one review. Not many plays that would have needed one but you don't see many n0w without even if the ref is 2 ft away.

Sports is not bigger than life

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:26 pm

I thought Patterson had several chances to keep us in the game during the dry spell but couldn't hit that 3 from the corner. Maybe they should have looked for Goracke more or moved Patterson more toward the center court and switched with Goracke.

2024 Resume dominance

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:28 pm

There was one REALLY early whistle on an and-one that was bogus, and the jump ball call was clearly missed. Other than that the refs didn't negatively impact this game either way.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:04 pm

Got clobbered on the boards and same as all season, weak interior defense just due to patchworking a roster starting in late April. I’m still amazed this team won 17 games and also the Big Sky championship.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:11 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:26 pm
I thought Patterson had several chances to keep us in the game during the dry spell but couldn't hit that 3 from the corner. Maybe they should have looked for Goracke more or moved Patterson more toward the center court and switched with Goracke.
That was the key to me. Sometimes the threes go down, sometimes they don’t. All but one looked good in the air, too. They were good shots except the one that was blocked on a great defensive play.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride