Bracketology

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bracketology

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:16 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:12 pm
HighPlainsBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:46 pm
I know what I’m about to say isn’t the way it’s done, HOWEVER, why is it not a thing that EVERY conference tourney champ get seeded in the 64 team field? Then have the lowest ranked at large teams play the first four games?
They kinda already do. There will be 4 playin games next Tuesday. 2 will be 16 seeds, the lowest AQ teams. And 2 will be the lowest at large teams (11seeds).
I think what he's saying is that all of the First Four games should be at-large teams. I've always agreed with this idea myself but can see why they do it the way they do.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 pm

Watching the Big West final. Long Beach State, the 4 seed who beat the Bobcats back in the dark days of the season, are starting to pull away from the 2 seed UC Davis. LBSU has an overall record of 20-14 so obviously they would be ahead of us. Interesting to note that the Big West left their two worst teams home and set it up so the number 1 seed went straight to the semi-final (UC Irvine), which they promptly lost to LBSU. The moral of the story, no matter how hard they try to send the top seed, upsets happen.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:28 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:19 pm
Watching the Big West final. Long Beach State, the 4 seed who beat the Bobcats back in the dark days of the season, are starting to pull away from the 2 seed UC Davis. LBSU has an overall record of 20-14 so obviously they would be ahead of us. Interesting to note that the Big West left their two worst teams home and set it up so the number 1 seed went straight to the semi-final (UC Irvine), which they promptly lost to LBSU. The moral of the story, no matter how hard they try to send the top seed, upsets happen.
There seems to be way more upsets this year than usual. #10 seed NC State winning the ACC the biggest of all. I wonder if the Transfer Portal is helping to narrow the gap between the traditionally stronger programs and the weaker ones. Picking the NCAA Tournament this year appears to be a complete impossibility!

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:35 pm

Watching the swac these teams play sloppy. And just run around. W for us if we play them

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:53 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:28 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
There seems to be way more upsets this year than usual. #10 seed NC State winning the ACC the biggest of all. I wonder if the Transfer Portal is helping to narrow the gap between the traditionally stronger programs and the weaker ones. Picking the NCAA Tournament this year appears to be a complete impossibility!
LBSU told head coach Dan Monson before the tournament that he wouldn't be returning-so he goes and wins their tournament. That probably gave his players extra motivation. During the celebration we saw Dan's dad Don Monson-who coached Idaho to a sweet 16 in the early 80's. Glad to see he's still with us.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:08 pm

It occurs to me that some of these conferences that send 5 and 6 teams to the dance don't have any incentive for the top teams to do well in the conference tournament. They know they will probably get an at large bid anyhow. What it does is give teams that finish lower than those 5 or 6 a chance to take away a bid from a mid major conference champion like EWU.

In the Big Sky as well as other mid majors where teams have to win the conference to go, the games are more competitive and teams have to be playing their best or naturally the top teams may be left out of the NCAA tourney. I don't think there is a better way to do it because not having post season conference tournaments takes incentive away from more than half of the teams in the conferences.

I do think that maybe the regular season champion and the eventual tourney champion from mid majors should get an NCAA bid. If the regular season champ wins the conference tourney, then they should be the only one that goes from that conference.

2024 Resume dominance

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:01 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:08 pm
I do think that maybe the regular season champion and the eventual tourney champion from mid majors should get an NCAA bid. If the regular season champ wins the conference tourney, then they should be the only one that goes from that conference.
That would lower the overall quality of teams in the tournament. It would also incentivize conferences to prevent their regular season champion from winning the tournament, which just seems wrong.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:28 am

lutecat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:35 pm
Watching the swac these teams play sloppy. And just run around. W for us if we play them
Agreed. I was not impressed with Grambling or TSU. Here's hoping!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:37 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Dan Monson coaches The Beach and was told he won’t be coming back next season and is fired after this one. His team then proceeds to win the conference tournament.
Awkward…

How Dan Monson led Long Beach State to men's March Madness ... despite being fired

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2024/03/long-b ... ch-madness

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:43 am

Helcat72 wrote:
It occurs to me that some of these conferences that send 5 and 6 teams to the dance don't have any incentive for the top teams to do well in the conference tournament. They know they will probably get an at large bid anyhow. What it does is give teams that finish lower than those 5 or 6 a chance to take away a bid from a mid major conference champion like EWU.

In the Big Sky as well as other mid majors where teams have to win the conference to go, the games are more competitive and teams have to be playing their best or naturally the top teams may be left out of the NCAA tourney. I don't think there is a better way to do it because not having post season conference tournaments takes incentive away from more than half of the teams in the conferences.

Very few people in the USA to watch two teams from the Big Sky conference in a field of 68, including myself. I’d classify it as a low-major, anyhow, based on the lack of an NCAA tournament win in almost 20 years.

Also, both NC State and Oregon won their conference tournaments last night, and neither team would have made the tournament had they lost that game. The ACC and Pac 12 tournaments certainly mattered in terms of the NCAAs.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

4KornerKat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 4KornerKat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:49 am

If the ESPN projection holds, a guy could fly to Indianapolis, drive to Dayton for the first game, then back to indy for the second.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:57 am

4KornerKat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:49 am
If the ESPN projection holds, a guy could fly to Indianapolis, drive to Dayton for the first game, then back to indy for the second.
Hopefully they get the Wednesday/Friday schedule so they have one more day of rest.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:02 am

Bocephus wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:57 am
4KornerKat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:49 am
Hopefully they get the Wednesday/Friday schedule so they have one more day of rest.
I doubt it will matter much one way or the other, but playing Tuesday could also be an advantage if MSU gets matched with one of the teams who just finished its conference tournament yesterday.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:07 am

Helcat72 wrote:

I tend to agree with this. Watching the big sky tournament was a ball because it’s the ONLY way a team gets in. On the other hand look at the SEC: UT, KY, UA all go down. Some say a tournament can wear you down right before the NCAAS; others say, no you need to keep playing and stay sharp and focused. I have mixed feelings but I do agree that if you win the regular conference and are assured of a very high seed like Tennessee, the incentive to play hard in the conference tournament may not be there

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:47 pm

Brown lost the ivy League final. Had Brown won that may have put the Cats out of a play-in game.

If Temple wins how may that affect where Cats are seeded?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:54 pm

wapiti wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:47 pm
Brown lost the ivy League final. Had Brown won that may have put the Cats out of a play-in game.

If Temple wins how may that affect where Cats are seeded?
Brown led by 6 with 27 seconds to go, but Yale hit two deep 3's and Brown only made 1 of 4 FTs down the stretch to give Yale the chance to win. Brown hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since the '80s so that has to be a heartbreaking loss for them. I doubt Temple would be a First Four team if they win, they have multiple wins just in their tournament alone that are better than anything on MSU's resume. It certainly appears that it will come down to MSU, Grambling, and Stetson for the last two First Four spots. Grambling would be in the First Four based on their NET ranking alone, but at the same time they were their conference's regular season champion and perhaps the committee will want to reward that.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:23 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:43 am
Helcat72 wrote:

Very few people in the USA to watch two teams from the Big Sky conference in a field of 68, including myself. I’d classify it as a low-major, anyhow, based on the lack of an NCAA tournament win in almost 20 years.

Also, both NC State and Oregon won their conference tournaments last night, and neither team would have made the tournament had they lost that game. The ACC and Pac 12 tournaments certainly mattered in terms of the NCAAs.
How many of the 7, 8, 9th best teams in those major conferences would win first round if seeded 14, 15, 16 like Big Sky teams always get. If they expand the tourney they need to guarantee conference and tourney champs are in, add more teams from major conferences. Have 96 and 1st rounds are lower 2/3 of seeds playing each other then those winners play top 32. Higher seeds in first round host.

Sports is not bigger than life

HighPlainsBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HighPlainsBobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:36 pm

Lunardi’s most UTD…4hrs ago

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:55 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:23 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:43 am
Helcat72 wrote:

How many of the 7, 8, 9th best teams in those major conferences would win first round if seeded 14, 15, 16 like Big Sky teams always get. If they expand the tourney they need to guarantee conference and tourney champs are in, add more teams from major conferences. Have 96 and 1st rounds are lower 2/3 of seeds playing each other then those winners play top 32. Higher seeds in first round host.
Absolutely not. 68 is the perfect amount of teams. Expanding the bracket waters down the product. If they were to expand that’s a fair demand if you’re a mid major conference.

Any talk of expansion by mid/low-major conference teams can be shut down by telling those teams to play better when it matters. Eastern Wash can only be mad at themselves because they shat the bed the last 2 years. I’d say the same thing if MSU won the regular season. If you’re mad you lost the conference tourney when you were favored, sucks for you, play better! Simple as that 🤷🏼‍♂️

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:34 pm

I just don’t think the Committee will put Stetson above Montana State. MSU is ranked ahead of them in NET, and our conference is ranked higher. Plus, I’ll bet it’s cheaper to get Stetson into Dayton than MSU. I also think we’ll jump St. Peter too because the of the conference rankings. For some reason my gut says we’ll get the fourth 15-seed, but my head says one of the 16-seeds that won’t be traveling to Dayton.