Bracketology

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Bracketology

Post by Bocephus » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:35 pm

HighPlainsBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:36 pm
Lunardi’s most UTD…4hrs ago

Also cool, he has MSU and Utah State going to Indy. Although they wouldn’t play each other if they won, would be cool for Danny to see his old team play.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:35 pm

Forecasted: 16 seed. Play-in game against Grambling. Winner gets Purdue.
Last edited by gtapp on Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:36 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:35 pm
16 seed. Play-in game against Grambling. Winner gets Purdue.
Allegedly, but most likely.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:59 pm

Let's go!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:08 pm

Stetson was named the first #16 seed, so MSU is almost certainly headed to Dayton.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:08 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:23 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:43 am
Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:08 pm
It occurs to me that some of these conferences that send 5 and 6 teams to the dance don't have any incentive for the top teams to do well in the conference tournament. They know they will probably get an at large bid anyhow. What it does is give teams that finish lower than those 5 or 6 a chance to take away a bid from a mid major conference champion like EWU.

In the Big Sky as well as other mid majors where teams have to win the conference to go, the games are more competitive and teams have to be playing their best or naturally the top teams may be left out of the NCAA tourney. I don't think there is a better way to do it because not having post season conference tournaments takes incentive away from more than half of the teams in the conferences.

I do think that maybe the regular season champion and the eventual tourney champion from mid majors should get an NCAA bid. If the regular season champ wins the conference tourney, then they should be the only one that goes from that conference.
Very few people in the USA to watch two teams from the Big Sky conference in a field of 68, including myself. I’d classify it as a low-major, anyhow, based on the lack of an NCAA tournament win in almost 20 years.

Also, both NC State and Oregon won their conference tournaments last night, and neither team would have made the tournament had they lost that game. The ACC and Pac 12 tournaments certainly mattered in terms of the NCAAs.
How many of the 7, 8, 9th best teams in those major conferences would win first round if seeded 14, 15, 16 like Big Sky teams always get. If they expand the tourney they need to guarantee conference and tourney champs are in, add more teams from major conferences. Have 96 and 1st rounds are lower 2/3 of seeds playing each other then those winners play top 32. Higher seeds in first round host.
The only way to have more equitable early round play without expanding the number of teams is to sit the top 32 teams the first weekend. Seed play would begin then with #9 seed playing #16, etc. It’s how many conference tournaments, including the Big Sky, work.

kcatz

Post by kcatz » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:16 pm

Does Longwood getting 16 mean we swapped????

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:19 pm

kcatz wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:16 pm
Does Longwood getting 16 mean we swapped????
Must have! Unless they bumped Grambling up.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:23 pm

Haha, Utah State vs MSU in the second round. Let's do it!

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:24 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:23 pm
Boy that would be one for the ages.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:24 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:23 pm
What did I say? Definitely saw this coming.

kcatz

Post by kcatz » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:24 pm

Well 🦆

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:10 pm

Longwood should feel a bit screwed in my opinion. I thought we were getting their 15 seed when I saw that. I’m sure the committee won’t be asked, but I’d be curious to hear the committee’s rationale for putting Stetson Above MSU, given that MSU is ranked higher and so is our conference in The NET. Then again, I sure do like getting a very winnable game on Wednesday night,

Also……Mountain West sure didn’t get any respect. Regular season Mountain West Champions getting an 8 seed is a joke. That conference is every bit as good as the Big 10, if not better. They got stuck with 2 play-in games and were all under-seeded with the exception of SDSU. I hope all those teams go on long runs!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:26 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:10 pm
Longwood should feel a bit screwed in my opinion. I thought we were getting their 15 seed when I saw that. I’m sure the committee won’t be asked, but I’d be curious to hear the committee’s rationale for putting Stetson Above MSU, given that MSU is ranked higher and so is our conference in The NET. Then again, I sure do like getting a very winnable game on Wednesday night,

Also……Mountain West sure didn’t get any respect. Regular season Mountain West Champions getting an 8 seed is a joke. That conference is every bit as good as the Big 10, if not better. They got stuck with 2 play-in games and were all under-seeded with the exception of SDSU. I hope all those teams go on long runs!!
unm was a 6 seed in the MW tourney.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:32 pm

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:35 pm

MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

I highly doubt anyone in the media cares to grill the committee about how they chose to rank the 16 seeds! But I can see why they picked Stetson over MSU. They're right next to each other in the NET rankings so that's pretty much a wash. Stetson went 22-12 and had the 74th best non-conference strength of schedule according to KenPom, while MSU was only 17-17 and had the 201st best non-conference schedule. Stetson also has a "Quad 1" win over UCF while MSU has none. The committee has said multiple times that non-conference strength of schedule plays a big role in their seeding. That's why Iowa State only got the #8 overall seed despite winning the Big 12 tournament in a total blowout over Houston.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:11 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:35 pm
MinnesotaBobcat wrote:

I highly doubt anyone in the media cares to grill the committee about how they chose to rank the 16 seeds! But I can see why they picked Stetson over MSU. They're right next to each other in the NET rankings so that's pretty much a wash. Stetson went 22-12 and had the 74th best non-conference strength of schedule according to KenPom, while MSU was only 17-17 and had the 201st best non-conference schedule. Stetson also has a "Quad 1" win over UCF while MSU has none. The committee has said multiple times that non-conference strength of schedule plays a big role in their seeding. That's why Iowa State only got the #8 overall seed despite winning the Big 12 tournament in a total blowout over Houston.
For sure nobody in the media cares….and I should be thrilled the Bobcats are in. Honestly, it does us a favor as it gives us a very realistic chance at a win, and the money that comes with that before we take our 1% shot at Purdue, also, that Bobcat logo will be on the TV in every bar in America because it will be the only game going on.

I guess that overall I just don’t understand why they even came up with NET rankings, as they were supposed to clarify the seeding process. However, the process still makes little sense to me, and in many cases it looks like they are just throwing darts, and giving the benefit of the doubt to power 5 conferences.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:15 pm

So what are the two play-in games with two sets of 10 teams playing off against each other? I don't really follow that closely but don't remember 10's playing against each other.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:21 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:15 pm
So what are the two play-in games with two sets of 10 teams playing off against each other? I don't really follow that closely but don't remember 10's playing against each other.
Those are the two games with the last four at-large teams selected. Usually they're 11 seeds but there were so many unexpected conference tournament winners this year that it got bumped up to 10s.

MinnesotaBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MinnesotaBobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:24 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:15 pm
Those games came about when they added 2 more automatic qualifiers. They didn’t want to take away 2 at large bids so they came up with the play-in game to offset that.