Brawl 3.0: MSU vs that other team

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Brawl 3.0: MSU vs that other team

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:10 pm

DMMDCats wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:06 pm
There is a FB post showing crews putting the BB floor back down while referring to a celebration.

Will there be a brick party to celebrate?
I'd guess a joint celebration and selection Sunday watch party.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:14 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:15 am
PapaG wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:47 am
Lunardi has the Cats as a 15-seed, which avoids the First Four. I don’t see it, but I’d be pleasantly surprised.
All they did was swap MSU into the spot UM had previously occupied. An updated projection should be out this morning sometime but as of now MSU is 100% one of the "First Four" 16 seeds. Wagner, who won their tournament as the #6 seed, is the only team rated lower than MSU that has won an automatic bid so far. We would need a couple more sub-.500 teams to win their tournaments to potentially move up to a 16 seed outside the First Four.

The updated CBS bracket projection is out and has MSU playing Norfolk State in Dayton.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... cketology/
The good news about First Four is it’s a great opportunity to get an official NCAA tournament win. Counts just the same as any other tournament game.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:20 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:10 pm
DMMDCats wrote:
There is a FB post showing crews putting the BB floor back down while referring to a celebration.

Could just mean a general celebration. I thought the most remarkable thing about that post was that the crew was putting the floor back down after midnight. Gotta have it ready for a some sort of shootaround this morning I'm guessing. Otherwise you'd think it could have waited until this morning to get done.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:24 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:20 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:

Could just mean a general celebration. I thought the most remarkable thing about that post was that the crew was putting the floor back down after midnight. Gotta have it ready for a some sort of shootaround this morning I'm guessing. Otherwise you'd think it could have waited until this morning to get done.
Yup. I was curious bout that also.

Thanks guys

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:07 pm

TCcat 84 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:25 am
Goes the ASS KICKING count in the Brawl of the Wild points?
Inquiring minds would like to know.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:14 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:16 am
There are a few media guys whose moods vary greatly depending on whether UM wins or not. Haha.....
I have to watch Non-Stop Local's newscast tonight, to see how gris fanboy Shawn Rainey is dealing with their loss. He's the poster boy for what you said about media guys.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:40 pm

I agree about the benefits of playing in a First Four game. It could potentially be the first NCAA tourney win for a BSC team since the gris upset Nevada 18 years ago, and only the fourth BSC win in the last 42 years, since Idaho got to the Sweet 16 in 1982. As others have said, a tourney win is a tourney win, whether it's a First Four game or a First Round game. I'd rather be 1-1 in the tourney than 0-1.

As painful as all those late game collapses were during the regular season, they might have been a blessing in disguise to some extent. It seems like the team really learned from those experiences, because they did a great job of closing out games in the tourney. It drove me crazy the way we would run the shot clock down to almost zero, and then hoist up a desperation shot that had almost no chance of going in. In the tourney, we were patient and would run some time off the shot clock, but then well before the clock was close to zero, we'd get into our regular offense and take a good shot if we had one, or draw a foul. We also handled the press much better in the tourney, late in games, thanks mostly to Ford, along with everything else he did, which was basically everything. He plays so hard, and so smart and in the 2nd half yesterday, it seemed like he was always hitting a clutch basket, or making a steal at a key point in the game. He was in the middle of everything positive that happened in that game.

Several people have said this was their favorite of the three straight tournament championships, and it's hard to argue with that, considering how much we lost from last season, and the expectations were so low going into the season, and going into the tourney. I'd have to say it's a tie with the first one in 2022 though, just because it had been so long since the last one (26 years), and there had been so many disappointing moments in the tourney during that time, 2002 in particular. If you had told me after the tourney two years ago, that would be just the first of three straight, I don't think I would have believed you. What a great job by the team and the coaching staff, and obviously it made it even sweeter, beating the gris in the championship game, just like we did in 1986. This went a long way towards healing the wound we suffered in football in Missoula last November. Whether or not we play a First Four game, I know our chances in the First Round are somewhere between slim and none, but in 1986 we gave number one seed St. John's a helluva battle, so you never know.

And one more thing....ESG GCG!!!!

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:51 pm

DMMDCats wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:07 pm
TCcat 84 wrote:
Nope. Same 17 points from regular seasons only. Although MSU still wins the Series this year without it.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:52 pm

As most of you have probably figured out by now, I'm a big numbers guy. At one point during the 2nd half last night, we went on a 36-8 run. That's almost identical to the 37-7 score from the Cat-gris football game, for whatever that's worth. Another stat...we scored a total of 119 points in the 2nd halves against Weber and the gris. When our offense is clicking, it's pretty damn impressive.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:07 pm

CatBot wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:51 pm
DMMDCats wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:07 pm
TCcat 84 wrote:
Nope. Same 17 points from regular seasons only. Although MSU still wins the Series this year without it.
Thank you

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:11 pm

hilinegrizfan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:22 pm
Griz by 10, pretty easily. win the BSC for the second time in the same school year and the crush the spirit of the cats in the same swing of the bat. Glorious.
This post did not age well. I wonder if the spirit of the Gris has been crushed. :lol: :lol: \:D/

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:29 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:11 pm
hilinegrizfan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:22 pm
Griz by 10, pretty easily. win the BSC for the second time in the same school year and the crush the spirit of the cats in the same swing of the bat. Glorious.
This post did not age well. I wonder if the spirit of the Gris has been crushed. :lol: :lol: \:D/
I am old, but not too old so I play pickleball. :D There's a guy that plays where I play that always wears a griz t-shirt. Not today! I think his spirit was crushed. :lol: As a typical gris fan gave no credit to the Cats just said the gris thought they had the game won and quit trying.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:44 pm

My armchair coaching game review;
Offense; early the long shots weren't really falling so they moved the entire game in. Olmsted can be a one-man wrecking crew and it paid off big time. 2 turnovers in the second half?!? That's nuts. Excellent job taking care of the ball

Defense; It seemed like everyone wanted to rebound and steal and wreak havoc on UM. It messed up their inside flow and forced them to stay outside the arc. Great D all night long.

-RH3 played out of his mind. He seemed to get faster and more deadly as the game went on. That's special
-Play off the bench last night was huge. Those guys came in and made good shots all night long and I loved how hard they crashed into the paint and dominated the boards on both sides.
-Logie is ice on the sidelines. I love how you cannot tell what he's thinking and I've got to wonder if it gets into the heads of the opposing coaches at all.
-Eddie Turner managed the heck out of the game. It seemed that the offense just ran smooth when he was running point. He had a great night.

There's tons more, but damn, that was a sweet win!!! GO CATS

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:57 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:

Anyone have details?

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:32 pm

rfischer94 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:57 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:

Anyone have details?
I believe they are setting up the floor so they can practice before the NCAA tourney.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:24 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:44 pm
My armchair coaching game review;
Offense; early the long shots weren't really falling so they moved the entire game in. Olmsted can be a one-man wrecking crew and it paid off big time. 2 turnovers in the second half?!? That's nuts. Excellent job taking care of the ball

Defense; It seemed like everyone wanted to rebound and steal and wreak havoc on UM. It messed up their inside flow and forced them to stay outside the arc. Great D all night long.

-RH3 played out of his mind. He seemed to get faster and more deadly as the game went on. That's special
-Play off the bench last night was huge. Those guys came in and made good shots all night long and I loved how hard they crashed into the paint and dominated the boards on both sides.
-Logie is ice on the sidelines. I love how you cannot tell what he's thinking and I've got to wonder if it gets into the heads of the opposing coaches at all.
-Eddie Turner managed the heck out of the game. It seemed that the offense just ran smooth when he was running point. He had a great night.

There's tons more, but damn, that was a sweet win!!! GO CATS
In the 2nd half runs in our first and third games Logie didn't do what other coaches do that's drives me crazy...he didn't sub. At all. In the Weber game, the big run came with Ford on the bench. He stayed there. In the griz game it was Olmsted, Ford, Patterson, Lecholat, and Turner and it stayed that way until Olmsted got hurt. How many times have we seen Binford pull a player just when they're getting hot? Mick Durham used to to that all the time and it drove me crazy. I suppose keeping your normal rotation makes some sense, but if a lineup is working and you're avalanching someone, keep going as long as you can!

On defense, we completely blanketed Moody. Having 6'8" Tyler Patterson on him worked great, but everybody was helping. We gave up some points to their power forward who normally doesn't score, but keeping Moody quiet was much mor important.

Same Lecholat is that guy every team needs. He was Curt Rambis, Dennis Rodman, and Draymond Green rolled into one-without all the bad stuff.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am

You guys all worried about the important stuff. I'm sitting here wondering:

1) where the hell the ball got stuck on top of the scoreboard when Robert threw it up at the end of the game....because any of us that were there knew it never came down!?
2) who is going to crawl up there and get it?
3) if one of the Boise Bobcat crew can get the Idaho Central Arena to get it down and have it signed and awarded to the team or give it to Robert Ford for his MVP performance?

Even Coach Logie mentioned it in the post game interview... oh yeah we gotta get that down!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:01 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:55 am
Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:12 am
rfischer94 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:03 am
Oh, that's just perfect!!!!
Omg, yes it is.
Someone needs to make a sad Riley meme out of this that we can pull out endlessly in the future!

I used to like him but he rubbed me the wrong way with how giddy he was to jump ship to the other side. So so satisfying!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:09 am

John K wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:14 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:16 am
There are a few media guys whose moods vary greatly depending on whether UM wins or not. Haha.....
I have to watch Non-Stop Local's newscast tonight, to see how gris fanboy Shawn Rainey is dealing with their loss. He's the poster boy for what you said about media guys.
Yeah he's a gris fanboy but he's a least a good dude. And he'll give credit.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:24 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:10 am
You guys all worried about the important stuff. I'm sitting here wondering:

1) where the hell the ball got stuck on top of the scoreboard when Robert threw it up at the end of the game....because any of us that were there knew it never came down!?
2) who is going to crawl up there and get it?
3) if one of the Boise Bobcat crew can get the Idaho Central Arena to get it down and have it signed and awarded to the team or give it to Robert Ford for his MVP performance?

Even Coach Logie mentioned it in the post game interview... oh yeah we gotta get that down!
I think it can be lowered to the floor.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber