Weber Game-plan 3.0

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Weber Game-plan 3.0

Post by Bocephus » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:36 pm

Really hard to beat a talented team twice in 1 week. Seems like moving the ball against Weber is key as they give up the most assists in the conference. I felt like Weber had more success when they went to the 1-3-1 zone, maybe not though. Keeping Dillon Jones contained is also a huge concern, I feel like he can take over games. Anyone else want to give us a 3.0 scouting report?

catscat

Re: Weber Game-plan 3.0

Post by catscat » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:48 pm

Start Olmsted.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:35 pm

1. You must start John Olmsted. If you don’t, he needs to play significantly more minutes than Walker. Walker is a plug and stops all movement on offense. Olmsted has shown he has a mean pick-and-roll game and can distribute the ball (3rd in assists behind ET3 and Rob the last 3 games). John has also shown to have a motor that can go 15+ minutes on the floor at a time where Walker can hardly give you 4.

2. You can let DJ score as many points as he wants, as long as you keep his assists down. Weber gets rolling and plays their best when Jones has 5+ assists. You’re going to have to live with Jones getting his shots. You HAVE to stop everyone else. Koehler, Theratt, & Verplanken cannot get hot.

3. Win the rebounding battle (or at least keep it close). Cats out rebounded Weber in this game and kept it close against EWU. When the Cats get on the glass good things happen (Big John and Sam work so much harder than Walker in this regard)

4. Keep playing Jed, Sam, and John. John is the obvious one, but Jed helps keep ET3 and Rob fresh and playing Sam gives Brian a chance to play the 3 which is his true position and where he plays best IMO. Jed and Sam on the floor at the same time is so much fun because of how they move off the ball and how they’ll pass up a good shot for a better shot.

5. You need to manage your energy. It could be easy to come out super tight and put yourself a hole early. You have to play free and with energy rather than trying to play perfect.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:10 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:35 pm
1. You must start John Olmsted. If you don’t, he needs to play significantly more minutes than Walker. Walker is a plug and stops all movement on offense. Olmsted has shown he has a mean pick-and-roll game and can distribute the ball (3rd in assists behind ET3 and Rob the last 3 games). John has also shown to have a motor that can go 15+ minutes on the floor at a time where Walker can hardly give you 4.

2. You can let DJ score as many points as he wants, as long as you keep his assists down. Weber gets rolling and plays their best when Jones has 5+ assists. You’re going to have to live with Jones getting his shots. You HAVE to stop everyone else. Koehler, Theratt, & Verplanken cannot get hot.

3. Win the rebounding battle (or at least keep it close). Cats out rebounded Weber in this game and kept it close against EWU. When the Cats get on the glass good things happen (Big John and Sam work so much harder than Walker in this regard)

4. Keep playing Jed, Sam, and John. John is the obvious one, but Jed helps keep ET3 and Rob fresh and playing Sam gives Brian a chance to play the 3 which is his true position and where he plays best IMO. Jed and Sam on the floor at the same time is so much fun because of how they move off the ball and how they’ll pass up a good shot for a better shot.

5. You need to manage your energy. It could be easy to come out super tight and put yourself a hole early. You have to play free and with energy rather than trying to play perfect.
I really like your last point. Gotta play to win. Don’t get tight in this game. Let Weber feel that pressure. Another point to add is, and this is more specific to ET3 and Patterson, when they drive to the hole and dish it back out to a three. They pass on too many and one opportunities if not basic layups.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:15 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:10 pm
Desert_Bobcat wrote:

I really like your last point. Gotta play to win. Don’t get tight in this game. Let Weber feel that pressure. Another point to add is, and this is more specific to ET3 and Patterson, when they drive to the hole and dish it back out to a three. They pass on too many and one opportunities if not basic layups.
This is a very good point. Eddie has only shot 39 FT’s this year and Patterson has a whole 9 FT’s attempted 😂
The Weber game on Monday has potential to have a pretty tight whistle and in games like that you almost need to play into that and make it a free throw competition, if you can. You just hope that the boys can knock down FT’s at a better clip than they have the last few weeks.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:20 pm

The Bobcats will need the entire roster to contribute if they have any hope of winning 3 games in 3 days. A few weeks ago I'd have said that was nearly impossible, but with the emergence of guys like John Olmsted and Jed Miller over the past couple weeks I'd say they've definitely got a good shot at surprising some people. How would Weber enjoy getting knocked out by the Bobcats three years in a row? It's a far cry from the two decades of misery when MSU's total tournament wins could be counted on one hand.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:31 pm

Tew is too big for Walker to score over. Walker got his points over most Big Sky bigs, but Tew really shut him down. Olmsted's height altered a lot of shots on defense. Walker can be a defensive liability when he's tired. So playing Olmsted more minutes and Walker in short bursts when Tew is out could be good. I'm intrigued with the possibility of playing Walker and Omsted at the same time and really pounding it inside to maybe get Tew and Jones in foul trouble. Probably not enough time to re-tool the offense to make that work though.

It's gonna be tough. Jones wore out late in the game in Bozeman. He'll be much fresher in Boise, but I suppose we will too. It will be interesting to see what each head coach switches up from Monday night.

catscat

Post by catscat » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:34 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
1. You must start John Olmsted.

I have to disagree on Turner. In my opinion, he forces too many shots off his drives (and doesn't draw a foul in the process). I have no problem with him taking a good shot if it's there, but if it's not, kick it out.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:02 pm

catscat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:34 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:

I have to disagree on Turner. In my opinion, he forces too many shots off his drives (and doesn't draw a foul in the process). I have no problem with him taking a good shot if it's there, but if it's not, kick it out.
He backs into the lane too much and gets his pocket picked by second defenders helping out.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:53 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:02 pm
catscat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:

He backs into the lane too much and gets his pocket picked by second defenders helping out.
No, you’re confusing this with the WBB team. 😆

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:54 pm

nevadacat wrote:
catscat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:

Interesting comment on Turner. The stats show that Turner actually turns it over less than Ford. Turner assist to TO ration is 1.8 (104/57) vs 1.2 for Ford (91/75). But Ford does draw about 3 times as many fouls while taking it stronger inside. And Ford is on the court about 33 min vs Turner 28 min.

As to shooting, FG% for Ford is 46.6% and Turner 45.5%. The two have the best 3 point percentages on the team that have shot over 50 from the arc…..Ford at 42.2% and Turner at 41.3% (Paterson is at 38.5%).

IMO Turner has picked up his game as the season has moved along…gaining more confidence. Ford separates himself in attacking the basket, rebounding, steals and on court leadership. I’m glad we have Turner back next year.

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:23 pm

Idaho State has defeated Weber twice this season. Copy what ISU did. No need to reinvent the mouse trap.

aucat

Post by aucat » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:35 pm

I agree that the pressure is on Weber not Montana State. Weber was the Big Sky preseason pick. The Cats need to just go out and play loose, fast and hard. Have fun. Ain't no second chance. Give'em HELL Bobcats!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:11 pm

Win

Sports is not bigger than life

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:22 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:54 pm
nevadacat wrote:
catscat wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
Desert_Bobcat wrote:

Interesting comment on Turner. The stats show that Turner actually turns it over less than Ford. Turner assist to TO ration is 1.8 (104/57) vs 1.2 for Ford (91/75). But Ford does draw about 3 times as many fouls while taking it stronger inside. And Ford is on the court about 33 min vs Turner 28 min.

As to shooting, FG% for Ford is 46.6% and Turner 45.5%. The two have the best 3 point percentages on the team that have shot over 50 from the arc…..Ford at 42.2% and Turner at 41.3% (Paterson is at 38.5%).

IMO Turner has picked up his game as the season has moved along…gaining more confidence. Ford separates himself in attacking the basket, rebounding, steals and on court leadership. I’m glad we have Turner back next year.
A/TO ratio isn't great for comparing the team's primary shot creator (which leads to more turnovers) to the team's primary point guard (which leads to more assists). Ford's TO% this year is 16.2% and Turner has a 19.3% turnover percentage.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... s_advanced

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... s_advanced

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

catscat

Post by catscat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:41 pm

Walker not able score over Weber's bigs. Need Olmsted.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:45 pm

Game on Mtn on the local station. Should be all over Montana on one of the CBS free stations

11-15 Weber so far

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:57 pm

catscat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:41 pm
Walker not able score over Weber's bigs. Need Olmsted.
Yes, Tew has Walkers number. Thankfully Tew just got his 2nd foul.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

catscat

Post by catscat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:16 pm

Bobcats giving up too many second chance points. Could use a few offensive rebounds.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:19 pm

Settled down in the last 10. Ball movement is pretty good. Guards have missed a handful of easy layups on pick-and-roll actions. Need to get more easy paint touches and more drives to the basket. ET3 loves that 6’ floater but he needs to drive and at least get to the line to shoot FT’s. Couple lapses on defense leading to backside offensive rebounds otherwise it’s been good effort so far!