MBB @ SacSate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB @ SacSate

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:30 pm

Eddie only played 5 minutes against ISU on Monday before leaving due to illness, so I doubt he was at 100% today. He had been playing well before the illness so I won't read too much into one game.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:37 pm

Welcome to sole possession of 2nd place BOBCATS!!! Hard fought win in spite of not being at full strength. Great contributions from Sam and important minutes from Chika and Jaden. Logie is the best coach in the Big Sky.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:52 pm

Anyone want to try and explain this sequence of scores?

Jan. 13: Griz 90, NAU 47
Jan. 18 - NAU 84, PSU 65
Jan. 25 - PSU 72, Griz 46

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:00 pm

Did the Griz lose a bunch of guys?

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:13 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:00 pm
Did the Griz lose a bunch of guys?
Nope, exact same starting lineup that beat MSU and Weber last week. Must have been the altitude.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:25 am

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:52 pm

Jan. 18 - NAU 84, PSU 65
The only things I can think of is it's one of those on any given night kind of things or weird things happen on a full moon. I'd like to see the Cats add to the bizarre sequence by beating PSU on Saturday. I'm not betting on it but wouldn't put it past this Cat team to do just that.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:56 am

msu_agfan wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:53 pm
Heart attack cats are playing tonight, Ford misses 2 layups and now's it's a 6 , possibly 5,point game..
I was thinking Long Beach State all over again.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cats92
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cats92 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:59 am

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:16 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:12 pm
High school talent wins again! Some interesting results tonight in the Big Sky, if PSU holds on against the Griz the Cats will be alone in 2nd place after tonight.
Ford/Walker/Goracke are plus players being put into positions to succeed by Logie. Guy can clearly coach and hopefully recruit.
I feel like the person who asks where the “Gris” thing came from with this question, but what’s the deal with people calling the Cats “High School players” where did that come from? I’ve seen it a few times and I feel out of the loop.

DwaineF
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by DwaineF » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:52 am

In an earlier post somebody disparagingly called the Cats' roster a bunch of high school players when talking about the talent level of this team. Now that is the new mantra for others when the Cats play well.
Last edited by DwaineF on Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:52 am

Cats92 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:59 am
PapaG wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
High school talent wins again! Some interesting results tonight in the Big Sky, if PSU holds on against the Griz the Cats will be alone in 2nd place after tonight.
Ford/Walker/Goracke are plus players being put into positions to succeed by Logie. Guy can clearly coach and hopefully recruit.
I feel like the person who asks where the “Gris” thing came from with this question, but what’s the deal with people calling the Cats “High School players” where did that come from? I’ve seen it a few times and I feel out of the loop.
I think it’s complimenting the effort to build a foundation from the ground up with young players for long-term program success rather than patching together a bunch of mercenaries.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:58 am

DwaineF wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:52 am
In an earlier post somebody disparagingly called the Cats' roster a bunch of high school players when talking about the talent level of this team. Now that is the new mantra for others when the Cats play well.
This. One poster who only shows up when MSU is losing has referred multiple times to the team being "high school talent", which personally I feel is obviously not true and rather disrespectful to the hard work they've all put in to turn what most assumed would be a lost season into an unexpectedly successful one. That said it's probably time to let that go! Too many wins and too few losses to get too negative these days.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:29 am

12-8 if we make a couple bunnies at the buzzer. Was going to say they have come a long way but Cats had a couple pretty good wins in preseason but mixed in a few bad losses. Defensive effort is much better now and our success seems to be tied to matchups

Sports is not bigger than life

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:32 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:25 am
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:52 pm

Jan. 18 - NAU 84, PSU 65
The only things I can think of is it's one of those on any given night kind of things or weird things happen on a full moon. I'd like to see the Cats add to the bizarre sequence by beating PSU on Saturday. I'm not betting on it but wouldn't put it past this Cat team to do just that.
I think it's a winnable game. I didn't watch, but looking at stats, PSU made 12 3's on 24 attempts. The griz shot 31% from 2. PSU probably won't shoot 50% from 3 and only give up 31% from the field against the Cats. Sounds like PSU's press is pretty stifling...survive that and the Cats have a good shot. My guess is it was just an off night for the Missoula bears. ESPN analytics apparently thinks PSU is pretty good though, as that computer model gives the Viks an 81.8% chance to win. Woof.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:52 am

My favorite stat of the season so far is the Big Sky rebounding leaders:

1. Dillon Jones (Weber) - 9.8
2. Saint Thomas (UNC) - 9.8
3. Robert Ford (MSU) - 8.1
4. Duncan Powell (Sac) - 7.9
5. Laolu Oke (UM) - 7.3

Four of those guys are between 6'6" and 6'8". The other...is not.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:25 am

Cats92 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
It’s an insult on their abilities to play D1 basketball. I’d never call them that but it seems some think it’s funny. This isn’t the most talented roster, losing who they did would typically cripple a program the next season, but putting players in a position to succeed is mostly what college hoops at mid- and low-majors is about and that’s what Logie is doing this season. This team right now would not lose to Rocky IMO. It takes time for things to gel and good coaches see their teams improve over a season. Dana Altman at Oregon is a great example of this type of coach who doesn’t typically have an elite talent yet puts players in the correct spots and they tend to peak later in the season.

I don’t think this teams can win the Big Sky tournament title based on their lack of size, it has to catch up with them over time, but they can put up a good fight against anyone in the conference.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Catprint » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:32 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:37 pm
Welcome to sole possession of 2nd place BOBCATS!!! Hard fought win in spite of not being at full strength. Great contributions from Sam and important minutes from Chika and Jaden. Logie is the best coach in the Big Sky.
The most optimistic of us would never had predicted CATS would 5-2 and be in sole possession of 2nd Place 7 games into the conference season! Still a long ways to go but I think 11-7 or 12-6 and first round bye (top 6 get the first round bye) very much a possibility! I think Logie is doing a great job with cards he was dealt. The CATS are fun to watch even if a 17 point lead evaporates to 4 points!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:38 am

Catprint wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:32 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:37 pm
The most optimistic of us would never had predicted CATS would 5-2 and be in sole possession of 2nd Place 7 games into the conference season! Still a long ways to go but I think 11-7 or 12-6 and first round bye (top 6 get the first round bye) very much a possibility! I think Logie is doing a great job with cards he was dealt. The CATS are fun to watch even if a 17 point lead evaporates to 4 points!!
With Big Sky referees anything can happen. MSU was ahead most of the game yet the refs kept putting Sac on the FT line with dubious calls. It’s so frustrating watching our conference’s refs make themselves the story of many games. I’m surprised Logie didn’t get a technical witnessing some of those late-game calls whistled a few seconds after the play.

What a ride

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:16 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:52 am
My favorite stat of the season so far is the Big Sky rebounding leaders:

1. Dillon Jones (Weber) - 9.8
2. Saint Thomas (UNC) - 9.8
3. Robert Ford (MSU) - 8.1
4. Duncan Powell (Sac) - 7.9
5. Laolu Oke (UM) - 7.3

Four of those guys are between 6'6" and 6'8". The other...is not.
Especially impressive knowing the Cats are dead last in the conference in rebounding as a team, and 360 out of 362 D-I teams. I know the Cats don't have much size, but if they can improve there as a team, they should be able to hang in there in the top few teams in the conference.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:21 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:25 am
Cats92 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
It’s an insult on their abilities to play D1 basketball. I’d never call them that but it seems some think it’s funny. This isn’t the most talented roster, losing who they did would typically cripple a program the next season, but putting players in a position to succeed is mostly what college hoops at mid- and low-majors is about and that’s what Logie is doing this season. This team right now would not lose to Rocky IMO. It takes time for things to gel and good coaches see their teams improve over a season. Dana Altman at Oregon is a great example of this type of coach who doesn’t typically have an elite talent yet puts players in the correct spots and they tend to peak later in the season.

I don’t think this teams can win the Big Sky tournament title based on their lack of size, it has to catch up with them over time, but they can put up a good fight against anyone in the conference.
The idea that, "This is high school talent" originated from a post by WYCAT who at that time seemed to be in a dark place and was unable to see that in fact this team does have D1 talent. It was insulting and quite inaccurate but to be fair he wasn't the only one who basically thought that.

Each time it's brought up now is kind of a way of throwing it back in the face of posters that were hyper critical of the players and hyper critical of coach Logie as well. It may still come across as an insult but each time this team goes out and exceeds expectations it serves as a reminder that whatever their talent level is and no matter who their up against this Bobcat team will punch above their weight.

Credit to coach Logie and his staff for coaching them up, improving their skills, and bringing them together as a cohesive team. Credit also to the players for taking to the coaching and playing with so much heart.

Edit to add: good post PapaG

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:39 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:21 pm
PapaG wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:25 am
Cats92 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

The idea that, "This is high school talent" originated from a post by WYCAT who at that time seemed to be in a dark place and was unable to see that in fact this team does have D1 talent. It was insulting and quite inaccurate but to be fair he wasn't the only one who basically thought that.

Each time it's brought up now is kind of a way of throwing it back in the face of posters that were hyper critical of the players and hyper critical of coach Logie as well. It may still come across as an insult but each time this team goes out and exceeds expectations it serves as a reminder that whatever their talent level is and no matter who their up against this Bobcat team will punch above their weight.

Credit to coach Logie and his staff for coaching them up, improving their skills, and bringing them together as a cohesive team. Credit also to the players for taking to the coaching and playing with so much heart.

Edit to add: good post PapaG
I was hoping that was the case! Thanks for the clarification.

What a ride