WBB vs UofM

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: WBB vs UofM

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:32 pm

HiLineCat wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:45 pm
If i was the Gris coach i would have sat #13 after that. No reason for her to be in there after that, with only 12 seconds to play.
Yep. Piss-poor decision by that coach. No reason to incite a riot.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

cat22[2010]
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cat22[2010] » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:00 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:23 am
cat22[2010] wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:27 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:37 pm
Disappointed no well wishes for KJ on any of the UM social media accounts.
People associated with dUMb laughing about KJ getting hurt on social media and you are expecting any class out of UM?
Such as who? I'd like to see the tweets.
Ahh thank you for pointing out my error. It was fans of UM... not anyone officially associated with the university. I apologize for my error in choice of wording.

FTG

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:28 pm

I watched all 4 NFL games this weekend and they were all great games with some real hard smashing tackles as you would expect in that sport. Still I believe the take down with the most excessive force I saw all weekend was in the closing seconds of the women's Cat/Griz game.

I was at a watch party where there were a half dozen Griz fans and every one of them thought that should be a flagrant 1 or more, and 5 of the 6 thought #13 should've sat out those final seconds of the game. My Griz friends are very passionate and biased but they know wrong when they see it and didn't offer up any excuses to let #13 off the hook or minimize how over the top her actions were.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:49 pm

I was at the game and when KJ got hurt it just absolutely took the air out of the arena. Suddenly the outstanding win that we had on the books just didn't seem to matter all that much, because all we cared about was KJ. Madison Hall made those free throws even though she was as upset as everyone else. Amazing poise.

Now let's address the sportsmanship angle: Someone else mentioned watching the NFL games. I have noticed that whenever a player appears to be seriously hurt in an NFL game BOTH team's benches come out to express their concern. That didn't happen with UM and I found it very disappointing.

But let me tell you something else that I found disappointing: ESG. I don't like it in Bobcat Stadium, but I swear, we can't even play the Bobcat fight song in the Brick without the chant. No it wasn't deafening, but still, it was loud enough to really be embarrassing, especially with several ladies sitting near me wearing their UM gear.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:58 pm

aucat wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:49 pm
I was at the game and when KJ got hurt it just absolutely took the air out of the arena. Suddenly the outstanding win that we had on the books just didn't seem to matter all that much, because all we cared about was KJ. Madison Hall made those free throws even though she was as upset as everyone else. Amazing poise.

Now let's address the sportsmanship angle: Someone else mentioned watching the NFL games. I have noticed that whenever a player appears to be seriously hurt in an NFL game BOTH team's benches come out to express their concern. That didn't happen with UM and I found it very disappointing.

But let me tell you something else that I found disappointing: ESG. I don't like it in Bobcat Stadium, but I swear, we can't even play the Bobcat fight song in the Brick without the chant. No it wasn't deafening, but still, it was loud enough to really be embarrassing, especially with several ladies sitting near me wearing their UM gear.
Agree@ =D^

2024 Resume dominance

Catalina83
New Recruit

Post by Catalina83 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:43 am

When an advanced rescue team has been called in and effort being made to immobilize a neck there is no place for anyone but the minimal and essential at the scene. Period. Well handled by Coach Binford who left scene to make room for responders and go back to the team.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:16 am

I was confused by the explanation over the P.A. that the foul had been upgraded to intentional. I was expecting them to say either it was a Flagrant 1 or a Flagrant 2 which is an ejection. What I didn't know was that women's basketball, for whatever reason, uses different terms. Women's basketball uses the terms unsportsmanlike or disqualifying instead. So the P.A. should have said "unsportsmanlike" instead of intentional I suppose. In my opinion it should have been a disqualifying foul.

Last year Jubrile Belo was charged a flagrant 2 against Southern Utah and nobody even went to the trainer, let alone the hospital. It's even more out-of-whack when recalling Danny U getting ejected for targeting in football for barely grazing a facemask. Football players are wearing pads and helmets for crying out-loud. In this game a player gets sent to the fricken hospital because of a very intentional foul and it's only worth 2 free shots and the ball.

From Wikipedia:
The NCAA's Playing Rules Oversight Panel adopted the "flagrant" term before the 2011-12 season for both men's and women's basketball.[6] However, the NCAA's women's rules committee abandoned the term "flagrant", effective with the 2017–18 season, in favor of FIBA's "unsportsmanlike" and "disqualifying" terms.[7] These fouls are counted as personal fouls and technical fouls.

A flagrant 1 foul (men's) or unsportsmanlike foul (women's) involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player "swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders". This offense includes the former "intentional foul" of fouling an opposing player to prevent an easy breakaway score. In women's basketball only, the unsportsmanlike foul also includes contact dead-ball technical fouls. The penalty for a flagrant 1 or unsportsmanlike foul is two free throws and a throw-in for the opposing team at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul.
A flagrant 2 foul (men's) or disqualifying foul (women's) involves unsportsmanlike conduct that is extreme in nature, including "when a player swings an elbow excessively and makes contact above the shoulders", or excessive or severe contact during a dead ball (men only). Fighting is also a flagrant 2 or disqualifying foul. The penalty for a flagrant 2 or disqualifying foul is immediate ejection of the offender, plus two free throws and a throw-in for the opposing team at the division line opposite the scorer's table.
Certain conduct constitutes a flagrant foul despite not being malevolent or unsportsmanlike.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:44 am

I agree completely with Belgrade on this!

msugr8
New Recruit

Post by msugr8 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:45 am

Agree 100% with Catalina83. I was glad they knew enough to stay away.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:35 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:51 pm
Just me or did anyone else think I t was weird that none of the Griz players came over to wish her well and there were some shots of laughing and joking on the bench while KJ was down being attended to by paramedics. Also, still no will wishes on social media.

The Griz athletics site says “After a Montana miss on a 3-point attempt with 18 seconds left that could have tied the score, Montana State's Katelynn Limardo ended up crashing to the floor.” No mention of the flagrant foul that sent her crashing to the floor.

To holsinger’s credit, he did have a nice quote in that article

"Great competitor, great kid," said Holsinger. "I hope she's okay. Scary, obviously. You never want to see anyone get hurt. My thoughts and prayers that she's okay."
There's no perfectly right way to show sportsmanship, so I don't want to beat anybody up too much over this. But overall it does seem like the griz players, coaches, and maybe even social media accounts didn't feel like this was a very big deal. I wonder if they thought it was a flop, and overselling the foul so the player would be ejected. That thought crossed my mind early on, but after about 30 seconds you'd quit trying to sell that. After the trainers gave way to EMS personnel you'd have to think "ok there must be something here".

I wouldn't have taken #13 out if I'm Holsinger. If she wasn't ejected, I'm not voluntarily taking out a good player. Strange things can happen at the end of a basketball game and a 5-point lead can be gone in a second (see Utah State a week or two ago).

I do think it was a little strange though that neither Holsinger nor #13 took even an extra second or two shaking Binford's hand. Seems to me they would want to just say very briefly "hey, it's all in competition but I'm sorry for what happened" or something. They both shook hands quickly enough to say "good game" and not much else.

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:26 pm

If MSUBRONCO's source is correct and it's "just" a concussion that means KJ is likely out for this game and perhaps for 2 more plus or minus. If the neck injury is more serious, than she could be out weeks.
On the other hand Maggie #13 of the griz didn't lose a second of playing time.
Just doesn't seem right. I know things can't be 'perfectly fair' but I would have thought a flagrant 2 would have been the result. Having seen it live and then watching the replays several times; smacking KJ to the floor certainly appears to be her intent.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:58 pm

CatRowdy wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:26 pm
If MSUBRONCO's source is correct and it's "just" a concussion that means KJ is likely out for this game and perhaps for 2 more plus or minus. If the neck injury is more serious, than she could be out weeks.
On the other hand Maggie #13 of the griz didn't lose a second of playing time.
Just doesn't seem right. I know things can't be 'perfectly fair' but I would have thought a flagrant 2 would have been the result. Having seen it live and then watching the replays several times; smacking KJ to the floor certainly appears to be her intent.
At the very end of the video clip, you can see the official moving toward them with her arms out well before Katelynn hit the floor. The official then immediately kneels by KJ. Her actions told me that she saw instinctively that a major problem was developing, and like she anticipated that KJ was down or might come up swinging. But the worst part of all is #13. You can see her motioning to the ref (after KJ is down) that the ball should be out-of-bounds for the gris. When the ref sort of disses her she throws her hands down in disgust. Replay it on a good screen from ESPN+ (not the fuzzy capture version) and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:19 pm

Turned on Women's game just in time to hear announcer say he spoke with Binford before the game.

Limardo didn't travel (as we all suspected). They are being cautious right now.

Either Coach is Coach talking and being tight lipped or return could be sooner than most of us thought possibe the other night.

Furious George
New Recruit

Post by Furious George » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:06 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:29 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:07 pm
Really scary. KJ gets knocked to floor a lot and always bounces up. She’s tougher than she looks and has been one of our most durable players. Her parents were there which is a blessing. Imagine watching your kid get carted off and you’re a 1000 miles away. Thinking of them and KJ right now.
It looked like they waited for a stretcher that had a special device for holding her head still. Hope it’s just a stinger, but I fear a disk or vertebra injury. Praying for you, KJ. Heart of a Bobcat.
Nope... second stretcher was because game only had EMTs on-site and they quickly assessed paramedics were needed. They rolled in with their ambulance and stretcher for their rig.

catscat

Post by catscat » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:48 am

kcatz wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:19 pm

So, gris BS likely caused us a loss.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:01 am

catscat wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:48 am
kcatz wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:19 pm

So, gris BS likely caused us a loss.
Maybe, maybe not. The Bobcats did not play well at all last night, which makes sense having to go on the road two days after a highly emotional home win over their rival. Great experience for the younger players who are being forced into more minutes than they'd be seeing on the court without the injuries. MSU will have a good shot to do damage in Boise if they can get back to being as healthy as possible by the time March rolls around.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:23 pm

One thing that happened last night, in the first quarter they repeatedly were unable to cash in on turnovers. They forced nine turnovers in the first which is an unbelievable rate. But they were only able to get something like 3-5 points (and a two-point lead at the break) from them because of what looked like over-anxiouness. They turned some of them right back and had a few ill-advised shots and toss ups around the basket. Those nine turnovers were really awesome — enough to hurt a team badly on the scoreboard and wound them psychologically. Even with a badly depleted roster, this team continues to be one of the best in the conference. Kudos to Coach Bin and Sunny and the new guys for good halftime adjustments last night, and a great job of coaching this year. Go ‘Cats. 💙💛😺

imacat

Post by imacat » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:40 pm

CatRowdy
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by CatRowdy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:32 pm

imacat wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:40 pm
Hmmmm …. Ok, whatever

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... bb2d9.html
I believe he is trying to use yelling as his anxiety release over trying to keep his job.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:47 am

imacat wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:40 pm
Hmmmm …. Ok, whatever

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... bb2d9.html
Odd thing for press to promote after what came out recently about Idaho and their VB coach and all the push about mental health. Im sure some don't mind but good way to lose players and recruits if it is overused. All coaches yell at some point, just can't be your primary method of communicating.
Likely for him it isn't and story took that path.

Sports is not bigger than life