Saturday Game Times

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BethanyCordell
BobcatNation Letterman

Saturday Game Times

Post by BethanyCordell » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:06 am

Hello, Basketball Fans!

We're taking a deep look into our game times on Saturdays. Traditionally, they've been 2pm, but we're soliciting feedback in order to maximize attendance. If you have a moment, please take our quick poll: http://bit.ly/BasketballGameTimePoll

Also, feel free to leave feedback here!

Bethany Cordell
Bobcat Athletics

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Re: Saturday Game Times

Post by SACCAT » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:38 am

BethanyCordell wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:06 am
Hello, Basketball Fans!

We're taking a deep look into our game times on Saturdays. Traditionally, they've been 2pm, but we're soliciting feedback in order to maximize attendance. If you have a moment, please take our quick poll: http://bit.ly/BasketballGameTimePoll

Also, feel free to leave feedback here!

Bethany Cordell
Bobcat Athletics
Main issue I see is that Saturday afternoon games are also when the Hawks are playing... Splitting the crowd between the two teams.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:49 am

Can I call on Friday night to let you know what best fits my schedule? 8) \:D/ :wink:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Wow.

I didn’t know we could do that.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Not sure if this would do much for Saturday home attendance, but as an out of stater who enjoys MBB & WBB via Pluto, it would be great if both teams tip off time were at least 2 actual hours apart so I could watch both. As it's been recently, both teams usually start at the same time unless one team is traveling to a pacific time zone and then there is one hour difference between game time.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:02 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:51 pm
Not sure if this would do much for Saturday home attendance, but as an out of stater who enjoys MBB & WBB via Pluto, it would be great if both teams tip off time were at least 2 actual hours apart so I could watch both. As it's been recently, both teams usually start at the same time unless one team is traveling to a pacific time zone and then there is one hour difference between game time.
This is a great point. It's nice to be able to watch both teams play! I voted in the poll for 7:00 start times as I've never been a fan of the afternoon games, and for me at least there are fewer potential conflicts in the evening than during the day.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:49 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:02 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
This is a great point. It's nice to be able to watch both teams play! I voted in the poll for 7:00 start times as I've never been a fan of the afternoon games, and for me at least there are fewer potential conflicts in the evening than during the day.
While that's understandable for Gallatin county residents, I think they were hoping to attract more folks from further away (Helena, Billings, etc.), which is really hard to do with a 7 p.m. tip. There really aren't many people who care to brave potential winter road conditions late at night to go see a 2 hour basketball game...

I'd suggest a 4 or 5 p.m. tip.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:39 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Excellent statement of this problem. It affects us exactly the same way.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:41 pm

:evil:
grizzh8r wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:49 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:02 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
While that's understandable for Gallatin county residents, I think they were hoping to attract more folks from further away (Helena, Billings, etc.), which is really hard to do with a 7 p.m. tip. There really aren't many people who care to brave potential winter road conditions late at night to go see a 2 hour basketball game...

I'd suggest a 4 or 5 p.m. tip.
👍

2024 Resume dominance

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:18 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:39 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
While I can sympathize with this issue, just as we are here trying to decide what time to set our home games obviously other teams are capable of choosing their home game start times as well. Since the MBB and WBB teams play the same teams on the same day just with opposing home/away there really isn't anything that MSU can do to ensure that the tip times are different other than waiting and adjusting our home games after every other team sets theirs, which doesn't really sound too feasible.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:42 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:18 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
While I can sympathize with this issue, just as we are here trying to decide what time to set our home games obviously other teams are capable of choosing their home game start times as well. Since the MBB and WBB teams play the same teams on the same day just with opposing home/away there really isn't anything that MSU can do to ensure that the tip times are different other than waiting and adjusting our home games after every other team sets theirs, which doesn't really sound too feasible.
KMAX, this topic is specifically about Saturday games and my suggestion and your comment relates only to the conference schedule. With that said, it should be more than feasible for the time scheduling god at MSU to communicate with his/her counterpart at the other school and agree to a tipoff time that is at least 2 actual hours apart. I would assume that their fan base at the other school would appreciate such a staggering of tipoff times so that they, too, could watch/listen to both of their corresponding WBB & MBB teams. There are a lot of options on Saturday tipoff times….easy peasy with a few some phone calls I would assume (or hope).

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:05 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:42 pm
kmax wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:18 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
arvcat2 wrote:
KMAX, this topic is specifically about Saturday games and my suggestion and your comment relates only to the conference schedule.
I'm slightly confused by this statement. Realistically we have very few non-conference home games on Saturdays so this whole thread is pretty much about the conference schedule. Either way you agree that my comment and yours were about the conference schedule so.....what's your point?
arvcat2 wrote:
With that said, it should be more than feasible for the time scheduling god at MSU to communicate with his/her counterpart at the other school and agree to a tipoff time that is at least 2 actual hours apart. I would assume that their fan base at the other school would appreciate such a staggering of tipoff times so that they, too, could watch/listen to both of their corresponding WBB & MBB teams. There are a lot of options on Saturday tipoff times….easy peasy with a few some phone calls I would assume (or hope).
As for this, yes it is feasible that this could happen but is it really likely? MSU and all of the other schools like to get their start times set ahead so that planning can be done. MSU and many of the schools like to have a consistent start time for every Saturday game (whether Men's or Women's) to help with planning. Some even get the occasional local or regional tv coverage that has to be factored into it. Now, could they try and coordinate with 9 conference teams that we play on Saturdays right now and set all of that up well before the season? Theoretically yes but realistically it's going to be too many conflicts between separate parties that have their own interests in mind in terms of the setup for their own home games.

As I said, I get the idea and understand why fans would want this but to say this is something should just be easy with a few phone calls is an extreme over-simplification.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:52 pm

kmax wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:05 am

As for this, yes it is feasible that this could happen but is it really likely? MSU and all of the other schools like to get their start times set ahead so that planning can be done. MSU and many of the schools like to have a consistent start time for every Saturday game (whether Men's or Women's) to help with planning. Some even get the occasional local or regional tv coverage that has to be factored into it. Now, could they try and coordinate with 9 conference teams that we play on Saturdays right now and set all of that up well before the season? Theoretically yes but realistically it's going to be too many conflicts between separate parties that have their own interests in mind in terms of the setup for their own home games.

As I said, I get the idea and understand why fans would want this but to say this is something should just be easy with a few phone calls is an extreme over-simplification.
This level of coordination would surely need to come from the conference office and not be done by each individual school interacting with every other school and thinking there's any chance of coming to an agreement on the start times. The Big Sky would have to say something like that all Saturday WBB games will start at 2 MST/1 PST and no MBB game can start before 4 MST/3 PST. Of course then you'd surely have TV or facility conflicts that would require exceptions to be made, and it would likely turn into a big mess.

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, I think we've demonstrated through this very limited discussion how impossible it is for MSU or any other school to come up with one ideal start time that works for everyone, or even for most people!

sacstateman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by sacstateman » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:07 am

The 1pm start times for Saturday games are, at times, set so the out of town team can get home by Saturday night and not have to absorb another nights on the road expenses....It goes both ways.....

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:16 pm

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:23 pm

What's cool here is I don't remember, as a fan, ever being asked before.