Recruiting done and final roster?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catprint
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Recruiting done and final roster?

Post by Catprint » Wed May 22, 2019 2:29 pm

I am always looking at the numbers and maybe I am missing something here but looks like we have our final roster. This is based on 13 allowed scholarships and the numbers below. Provide any clarifications or answers to my questions. Thanks.

Last Year’s Roster (2018)

Seniors Graduated
1. Tyler Hall
2. Keljin Blevins
3. Sam Neumann
4. Usman Haruna

Empty Scholarship
5. EMPTY

Off the team in 2019
6. Russell Daniels
7. Max S.
8. Lassie Nikkarinen

Returning
9. Harry Frey
10. Laden Ricketts
11. Zeke Quinlan
12. Devin Kirby
13. Quentin Guliford

This accounts for all 13 scholarships from last year’s roster. 8 Open Scholarships for 2019 per this list.

2019 Roster
Returnees
1. Harry Frey
2. Laden Ricketts
3. Zeke Quinlan
4. Devin Kirby
5. Quentin Guiliford

Commitments (or had offer but now committed) by Coach Fish
6. Caleb Bellach
7. Mychael Paulo
8. Jubrile Belo
9. Amin Adamu

New Commitments from Coach Sprinkle (in order of commit)
10. Xavier Bishop
11. Zach Hobbs
12. Finn Fleute
13. Brett Fin
14. Borja Fernandez

So some questions
1) 14 players, 13 scholarships, someone has to be a Preferred Walk ON? Who?
2) Who has to sit a year by rule?
a. Xavier for sure
b. Brett Fin? (He is moving up from Division II so I thought he did not have to sit?)
c. Any others?
3) 4 of the 9 new players were committed or offered by Coach Fish so seems we can say he was still doing good recruiting since no offers were rescinded. Seems True?
4) This must fill out the roster?
5) Starting Five Guesses?

Any thoughts?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Recruiting done and final roster?

Post by technoCat » Wed May 22, 2019 2:53 pm

Did Paulo re-commit? Or was it just assumed he never was in question?

Man I'm psyched at the thought of Quinlan getting to play at the SF or maybe even SG with his size.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed May 22, 2019 3:38 pm

I don't think number 7 is still in the mix. I am also high on Zeke. I think he could be a solid contributor with the new coach giving him positive reinforcement. Looking forward to next year.

WaMTBobcat
New Recruit

Post by WaMTBobcat » Wed May 22, 2019 3:53 pm

Updated roster from Bobcat basketball......

https://msubobcats.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed May 22, 2019 8:21 pm

Nice class balance, too. 4 freshmen, 3 sophomores, 3 juniors, 3 seniors. Well done on short notice.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed May 22, 2019 10:42 pm

It should be a fun season. I was also happy to learn Luke Fennelly was retained.

Nice breakdown Catprint. Thanks for doing that.

GO CATS!!!!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed May 22, 2019 11:36 pm

Remember Haslam was on Fish and Sprinkles staff. So it is very difficult to say who was who's recruit.

Amin Adamu was offered by Fish last summer,and was placed at Casper by Haslam. That said, he was not really being recruited that hard by Fish since he signed Paulo. As you might guess he was a Haslam recruit. New MSU assistant coach Russell was the head coach at Casper last season. He was getting a lot of attention from a lot of schools some whom are considered by some to be Bigger schools. Fish before he was let go was looking for point guards> Sprinkle wanted scoring from the guard spot and let two point guards go to give scholarships to find scorers. Would have Fish offered Adamu again? Did he come to MSU because of Haslam, Russell or Sprinkle.

Borja Fernandez was very much on coach Fish's radar and was offered. Haslam "found" him this past year and was trying to keep his recruitment quiet, both from other D1 school but also from the Spanish Pro teams who also wanted him. He was the first spring player to commit but Danny and Haslam were holding back his signing as late in the spring. At one point I thought, they might officially announce him until he showed up for summer campa and school. Chances are pretty good MSU may have landed him, regardless Sprinkle or Fish. The key was Haslam.

Finn Fleute is a very similar story to Fernandez, only his recruitment was not as far along under Fish as Fernandez. MSU was recruiting Fernandez harder and Fluete was more an option #2. Fluete was looking at a bunch of options. At that point it appeared MSU would only sign one big man this spring. Fish like Fernandez. When Danny saw Fluete he went after him hard! Again though if haslam was not retained I don't think we get Fluete.

Hobbs Danny wanted a shooter and I believe new assistant Russell, while he was still at Casper, suggested him to Danny. He was hoping to get him at Casper.

Xavier was all Danny, Haslam may have known/heard something about him, but Danny went after him hard when he heard he was available.

Danny has had a much better spring recruiting class than Fish had his first spring, but a lot of the ground work for his class was done by Fish and Haslam. It is a good thing too. I talked to Danny about a month ago when I was in Bozeman, and Danny was saying that his recruiting budget was pretty spent out and he had only a few NCAA allowed recruiting visits left in the 2018-19 year. He followed that nugget of info up with "Don't worry, though, I will get it done!"

Answers
1) We have 13 scholarships and one walk-on right now. It should be quite clear who the walk-on is because coaches are not allowed to comment on walk-ons until the enroll in school.
2)Xavier absolutely has to sit out and that is how Danny is planning it. If some magic was to happen from the NCAA and he was given automatic eligibility, I think Danny would still redshirt him. A year to learn what Danny wants to run and a year to play.
I am 90% sure Fin will have to sit out. Moving up or horizontally requires a player to sit out. The only possible exception would be if he got his graduate degree this spring, then he could take advantage of the "graduate transfer" rule and transfer anywhere with no penalty. Given he spent 2 years at a JC and only one at a 4 year school that would be tough to do. Not impossible though!
3) see above
4) I am guessing this is it unless there is a late summer change of mind or if the coaches are still looking at additional walk-on possibilities.

PG Frey
SG Adamu (although Guilford and Paulo will make a run at it)
W Ricketts (could start @ SG if Guilford makes starting line up)
PF/C Bello (he can shoot facing the basket to about 15 feet, but he is a post. Can he play together with Kirby?)
PF/C Kirby (Fish always said Kirby's natural position was PF because of this athleticism and ability to shoot the ball so I wonder)

Hobbs and Ballach one will play one may redshirt.
If Bello and Kirby can not play together, Bello backs up Kirby. Quinlan/Fernadez/Fleute will battle for PF spot. European player are soooooo tough to gauge but on video Fernandez looks more like a jc recruit,
Paulo to be Mr everything back up at point guard, but also plays a lot at SG and W.

The above is all my guessing and predictions, no inside info what so ever!

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Wed May 22, 2019 11:58 pm

I did see the updated MSU roster before posting so that is why I left Paulo on the list even though I can't find when he committed and no recent postings or information about him.

My Guess LineUp

Starting
PG – Frey
SG – Adamu
PF – Belo/Fernandez
W – Ricketts
C – Kirby

Frequent Subs
Quinlan
Guliford
Bellach
Paulo
Fernandez/Belo

Red Shirt/Sit out/Infrequent
Fleute
Hobbs
Bishop
Fin

Catprint

Post by Catprint » Thu May 23, 2019 12:02 am

Brett Finn (with two n's). My apologies to Brett. I know spelling is big trigger for lots of board members (Anderson vs Andersen). LOL

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:50 am

I have high hopes for the kid, but I think Bellach would greatly benefit from a redshirt year. He's got to make some improvements in the weight room, and he's making a big jump in levels of competition. He really, really, needs to work on his defense.

My hope for him is that he becomes a more athletic version of Ricketts.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 am

This means this next season we will have 3 players who are from the state of Montana.
Ricketts
Bellach
Finn

and all are close to Bozeman. Hopefully this helps attendance.
Livingston
Manhattan Christian
Big Timber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:18 am

wapiti wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 am
This means this next season we will have 3 players who are from the state of Montana.
Ricketts
Bellach
Finn

Livingston
Manhattan Christian
Big Timber
Just by being the HC, Danny should boost attendance.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu May 23, 2019 11:27 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:18 am
wapiti wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:42 am
Ricketts
Bellach
Finn

Livingston
Manhattan Christian
Big Timber
Just by being the HC, Danny should boost attendance.
He will initially for sure. But in the end winning is winning. I suspect simply because he's a legacy here he'll get a little longer leash than most. However if we're in the same spot in a few years as we are right now it doesn't matter who the coach is.

I don't see dilemma happening however.... \:D/

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue May 28, 2019 9:58 am

I like Coach Sprinkle’s philosophy of recruiting “shooters” at all positions. A team that can shoot well is capable of upsetting a more talented team on any given day.