FUTURE CATS

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:18 pm

FUTURE CATS

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:28 am

Any insight besides the possible explayer coming back? I would love to see him with Sprinkle as his coach. He is a definite D1 talent and his corpartner along with the other big guy coming in would make us a legit team next year. I know losing Tyler is big but with some talent inside it may offset the loss and maybe our shooters could get open looks. Can you imagine Bonton, harry and ricketts open for 3s instead of having to force shots from NBA range. I think Zeke will be a player too I like the possibility and maybe more excited than I have been for next season. Also any fall offs from the team. I could see a couple guards not getting much time next year as they aren't shooters but more just guys to fill in time. It will be an interesting off season.



thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:40 am

Lassi wasn't at the welcome for Danny. He has a real challenge ahead of him. He improved markedly this year but still hasn't displayed a consistent ability to score. Most vulnerable member of the returners.



User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6624
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:49 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:40 am
Lassi wasn't at the welcome for Danny. He has a real challenge ahead of him. He improved markedly this year but still hasn't displayed a consistent ability to score. Most vulnerable member of the returners.
That...and the likelihood every Montana all-star basketball player could eat his lunch one-on-one. :-k


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

thefrank1
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:06 pm

Indeed.



User avatar
CelticCat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9463
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Mt Vernon, WA

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by CelticCat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:45 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:40 am
Lassi wasn't at the welcome for Danny. He has a real challenge ahead of him. He improved markedly this year but still hasn't displayed a consistent ability to score. Most vulnerable member of the returners.
I actually thought Lassi improved a pretty substantial amount this year over last. He still has a ways to go but is pretty good handling the ball and a decent defender. He is deceptively taller than you think he is too, probably because he is pretty scrawny and has a boyish face, but he is listed at 6'2 and I'd believe that.

One thing Fish did well IMO was player development. A guy like Lassi by the time they are juniors and seniors are legit Big Sky players (even if just coming off the bench) even though they were nowhere near that when they were signed.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised at all if Danny parted ways with him.


R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://anchor.fm/rrcatcast
Twitter - @rrcatcast

User avatar
technoCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by technoCat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:54 am

I think Lassi is on a perfectly acceptable arc of development. He showed flashes and has a tenacious defensive streak to him at times. Not everyone can be Frey coming out as freshman. Maybe he's never a starter but I think he's definitely a valuable piece coming of the bench.


DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

msu_agfan
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Central Montana

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:57 am

Glad to see support for Lassi, I didn't post anything the other day and was going to make sure I did today. Another aspect of his game is being able to defend, I saw many times he cut off a guy who wanted to drive in. He has a good Bball IQ I believe. Is he a top tier player, maybe, maybe not, but Big Sky level player, yes. Or, he wouldn't have played much for Fish.


Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Guys really? If you want to see guys better than Lassi you just have to go to the university and watch noon gym and look at a couple of kids still in college who are better ball handlers, faster, stronger than Lassi. Or heck I am sure there are kids at the ridge that would be more of a threat. Heck one of the kids who was a walk on a year ago and is now in Great Falls used to dribble around him in practice I heard and a couple of times made him look pretty bad. A high baseketball IQ only gets you so far. He is not 6'2" either. On to the future and with players like this we might as well as of hired someone else besides one of the better point guards in MSU history. We can't waste scholarships at this point. Guys we want a team that contends and we can't bring in kids who aren't going to be a threat on the court. I mean even the big guy last year was more of a threat then Lassi. There were three players last year that in my mind didn't belong on that bench. We will see how it goes moving forward. Go Cats



Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:47 am

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by Catlady » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:31 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:18 pm
Guys really? If you want to see guys better than Lassi you just have to go to the university and watch noon gym and look at a couple of kids still in college who are better ball handlers, faster, stronger than Lassi. Or heck I am sure there are kids at the ridge that would be more of a threat. Heck one of the kids who was a walk on a year ago and is now in Great Falls used to dribble around him in practice I heard and a couple of times made him look pretty bad. A high baseketball IQ only gets you so far. He is not 6'2" either. On to the future and with players like this we might as well as of hired someone else besides one of the better point guards in MSU history. We can't waste scholarships at this point. Guys we want a team that contends and we can't bring in kids who aren't going to be a threat on the court. I mean even the big guy last year was more of a threat then Lassi. There were three players last year that in my mind didn't belong on that bench. We will see how it goes moving forward. Go Cats
At last honesty! Good to see that someone is a realist!



imacat
BobcatNation Team Captain
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:23 am

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by imacat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:37 pm

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:18 pm
Guys really? If you want to see guys better than Lassi you just have to go to the university and watch noon gym and look at a couple of kids still in college who are better ball handlers, faster, stronger than Lassi. Or heck I am sure there are kids at the ridge that would be more of a threat. Heck one of the kids who was a walk on a year ago and is now in Great Falls used to dribble around him in practice I heard and a couple of times made him look pretty bad. A high baseketball IQ only gets you so far. He is not 6'2" either. On to the future and with players like this we might as well as of hired someone else besides one of the better point guards in MSU history. We can't waste scholarships at this point. Guys we want a team that contends and we can't bring in kids who aren't going to be a threat on the court. I mean even the big guy last year was more of a threat then Lassi. There were three players last year that in my mind didn't belong on that bench. We will see how it goes moving forward. Go Cats
REALLY? Good grief.



KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
Posts: 3141
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:03 pm
Location: Helena

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by KittieKop » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Apparently the unwritten rule on not ****** on student athletes doesn't apply anymore.......a few pretty low shots on two different threads about a student athlete who by all accounts took some personal risks coming all the way to MSU and has worked his butt off to be part of a team. If he ends up not continuing on here, fine and best of luck to him, but some of this is unnecessary. IMHO.


"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Image

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:47 am

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by Catlady » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Usually I would agree, but the rewritten history of late has been a little much! Fish after his departure became a top Big Sky coach and some of our players were just a dribble away from all conference.

Not to mention the thread that Fish left us in great shape. Let’s get back to reality. Sprinkles has a long road ahead of him to get The Cats competitive in the conference. We’re not bad, but we’re not going to be ranked in the top half of the conference to start the season. Sprinkles will have a long leash to build a program, but let’s not start him off with unrealistic expectations!



User avatar
allcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7403
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: 90 miles from Nirvana (Bobcat Stadium)

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by allcat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:09 pm

Catlady wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:05 pm
Usually I would agree, but the rewritten history of late has been a little much! Fish after his departure became a top Big Sky coach and some of our players were just a dribble away from all conference.

Not to mention the thread that Fish left us in great shape. Let’s get back to reality. Sprinkles has a long road ahead of him to get The Cats competitive in the conference. We’re not bad, but we’re not going to be ranked in the top half of the conference to start the season. Sprinkles will have a long leash to build a program, but let’s not start him off with unrealistic expectations!
You obviously did not read the tune change properly. From no way anybody can win to now the cupboard is full.


Joining the whiners club till we never lose a game again.

PHAT CAT
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Posts: 820
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:04 pm

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by PHAT CAT » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:17 pm

Easy kids. The right man is now in charge. We don't need to bad mouth players. Let the new coach work through the squad. He's a man with a plan.



User avatar
technoCat
Member # Retired
Posts: 2635
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Bozeman

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by technoCat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:17 am

Catlady wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:31 pm
GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:18 pm
Guys really? If you want to see guys better than Lassi you just have to go to the university and watch noon gym and look at a couple of kids still in college who are better ball handlers, faster, stronger than Lassi. Or heck I am sure there are kids at the ridge that would be more of a threat. Heck one of the kids who was a walk on a year ago and is now in Great Falls used to dribble around him in practice I heard and a couple of times made him look pretty bad. A high baseketball IQ only gets you so far. He is not 6'2" either. On to the future and with players like this we might as well as of hired someone else besides one of the better point guards in MSU history. We can't waste scholarships at this point. Guys we want a team that contends and we can't bring in kids who aren't going to be a threat on the court. I mean even the big guy last year was more of a threat then Lassi. There were three players last year that in my mind didn't belong on that bench. We will see how it goes moving forward. Go Cats
At last honesty! Good to see that someone is a realist!
Yeah well I heard that Lassi went back in time and schooled Michael Jordan and dunked over Bol. I bet he would have been all-NBA in the 90's. See I can repeat rumors or give opinions with no basis too. If these kids are so freaking amazing on campus then why do we both sending recruiters out when we could just go cruise the noon gym. Can you seriously believe that?


DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE 01/05/1984

User avatar
VimSince03
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6624
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 am

KittieKop wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Apparently the unwritten rule on not ****** on student athletes doesn't apply anymore.......a few pretty low shots on two different threads about a student athlete who by all accounts took some personal risks coming all the way to MSU and has worked his butt off to be part of a team. If he ends up not continuing on here, fine and best of luck to him, but some of this is unnecessary. IMHO.
Mine was a low blow and I apologize. Lassi definitely improved this year and you can tell he has some fight in him on the defensive end. My beef is more with the fact a good volume of Montana basketball players aren't being recruited by MSU as they once were and a handful of them are just as skilled as Lassi. I'm glad Fish got Bellach but MSU needs to do better with mining in-state talent. Let some MT kids develop at the next level and see what you get by year 3. Just my two cents.


"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

arvcat2
BobcatNation Letterman
Posts: 188
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by arvcat2 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:40 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 am
KittieKop wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Apparently the unwritten rule on not ****** on student athletes doesn't apply anymore.......a few pretty low shots on two different threads about a student athlete who by all accounts took some personal risks coming all the way to MSU and has worked his butt off to be part of a team. If he ends up not continuing on here, fine and best of luck to him, but some of this is unnecessary. IMHO.
Mine was a low blow and I apologize. Lassi definitely improved this year and you can tell he has some fight in him on the defensive end.
My beef is more with the fact a good volume of Montana basketball players aren't being recruited by MSU as they once were and a handful of them are just as skilled as Lassi. I'm glad Fish got Bellach but MSU needs to do better with mining in-state talent. Let some MT kids develop at the next level and see what you get by year 3. Just my two cents.
Same applies to WBB too!



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7990
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by John K » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:50 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:40 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 am
KittieKop wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Apparently the unwritten rule on not ****** on student athletes doesn't apply anymore.......a few pretty low shots on two different threads about a student athlete who by all accounts took some personal risks coming all the way to MSU and has worked his butt off to be part of a team. If he ends up not continuing on here, fine and best of luck to him, but some of this is unnecessary. IMHO.
Mine was a low blow and I apologize. Lassi definitely improved this year and you can tell he has some fight in him on the defensive end.
My beef is more with the fact a good volume of Montana basketball players aren't being recruited by MSU as they once were and a handful of them are just as skilled as Lassi. I'm glad Fish got Bellach but MSU needs to do better with mining in-state talent. Let some MT kids develop at the next level and see what you get by year 3. Just my two cents.
Same applies to WBB too!
I agree 100%. I have been convinced for many years, that there are a handful of Montana kids currently playing in the Frontier Conference, that could be contributors for MSU....not necessarily all-BSC talents, but players who are good enough to be part of the regular rotation. And I also agree that this applies to both MBB and WBB.



User avatar
wbtfg
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 9114
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:52 pm

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by wbtfg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:15 am

John K wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:50 am
arvcat2 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:40 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 am
KittieKop wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Apparently the unwritten rule on not ****** on student athletes doesn't apply anymore.......a few pretty low shots on two different threads about a student athlete who by all accounts took some personal risks coming all the way to MSU and has worked his butt off to be part of a team. If he ends up not continuing on here, fine and best of luck to him, but some of this is unnecessary. IMHO.
Mine was a low blow and I apologize. Lassi definitely improved this year and you can tell he has some fight in him on the defensive end.
My beef is more with the fact a good volume of Montana basketball players aren't being recruited by MSU as they once were and a handful of them are just as skilled as Lassi. I'm glad Fish got Bellach but MSU needs to do better with mining in-state talent. Let some MT kids develop at the next level and see what you get by year 3. Just my two cents.
Same applies to WBB too!
I agree 100%. I have been convinced for many years, that there are a handful of Montana kids currently playing in the Frontier Conference, that could be contributors for MSU....not necessarily all-BSC talents, but players who are good enough to be part of the regular rotation. And I also agree that this applies to both MBB and WBB.
I agree with this, however, the difficult part is that D-1 bball can only offer full scholarship or walk on spots. There aren't any partial scholarships at this level, like with football. It's really hard to predict how a raw unpolished player from a class B school who maybe didn't hit the AAU summer circut will develop at the D1 level.

It would be interesting to look back at the recruiting projections for Frontier Conference guys like Matt Wyman, Dane Warp. Taylor England, etc. Are these guys that were worthy of a D1 full ride scholarship out of high school?



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7990
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: FUTURE CATS

Post by John K » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:53 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:15 am
John K wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:50 am
arvcat2 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:40 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:29 am
KittieKop wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 pm
Apparently the unwritten rule on not ****** on student athletes doesn't apply anymore.......a few pretty low shots on two different threads about a student athlete who by all accounts took some personal risks coming all the way to MSU and has worked his butt off to be part of a team. If he ends up not continuing on here, fine and best of luck to him, but some of this is unnecessary. IMHO.
Mine was a low blow and I apologize. Lassi definitely improved this year and you can tell he has some fight in him on the defensive end.
My beef is more with the fact a good volume of Montana basketball players aren't being recruited by MSU as they once were and a handful of them are just as skilled as Lassi. I'm glad Fish got Bellach but MSU needs to do better with mining in-state talent. Let some MT kids develop at the next level and see what you get by year 3. Just my two cents.
Same applies to WBB too!
I agree 100%. I have been convinced for many years, that there are a handful of Montana kids currently playing in the Frontier Conference, that could be contributors for MSU....not necessarily all-BSC talents, but players who are good enough to be part of the regular rotation. And I also agree that this applies to both MBB and WBB.
I agree with this, however, the difficult part is that D-1 bball can only offer full scholarship or walk on spots. There aren't any partial scholarships at this level, like with football. It's really hard to predict how a raw unpolished player from a class B school who maybe didn't hit the AAU summer circut will develop at the D1 level.

It would be interesting to look back at the recruiting projections for Frontier Conference guys like Matt Wyman, Dane Warp. Taylor England, etc. Are these guys that were worthy of a D1 full ride scholarship out of high school?
Not to mention guys who are playing at the D-II level at MSU-B, with exhibit A obviously being Brendan Howard (although there have also been others in recent years). A guy who was freshman of the year in a good D-II conference, surely could be a contributor for the Cats. I don't really have any inside knowledge about what happened during the recruiting process with him, but it's a shame that kid isn't playing for MSU, rather than MSU-B.



Post Reply