Why we wait- Spring Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Why we wait- Spring Recruiting

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:51 pm

So the interviews are over (well actually I don't know that for a fact) and Costello has his coach dart board set up, Frey is holding all the darts and Starner is still whispering in Leon ears, so as we wait to see where the dart will land I thought I would do what I usually do right after the basketball season ends. Look at spring recruiting. Up first the easy team!

Womens basketball: Binford has 2 seniors on this years team and two already open scholarships this year. Binford also signed 4 players last fall, so she is has already filled her scholarships for this coming year (2019). Looking to next years recruiting class, Binford has already received 3 scholarships commits for the 2020 class (should have 4 seniors next year) and is already working hard on the 2021 class. Now all that said odds are Binford will loose an underclassman player, this spring, for some reason. Every team seems to lose 1-2 players. I have heard the coaches are watching the transfer portal for possible impact player should some one leave. It is even more likely Binford may hold any possible scholarship open until next year should someone leave. One down side of fill out your scholarships real early is that you can forget to continuing to recruit that class and move too quickly to the next class.

Men's Basketball: Of course everything is up in the air with the men, but at least two (and the most important 2) of our fall recruits have re-committed to the Bobcats no matter who the coach ends up being. I am hearing, good things about the remaining players on the roster sticking around. Putting Frey on the selection committee did a lot to build some confidence in the players. If we lose none of our roster players or fall signees the new coach will have 2 scholarships to fill this spring, if they chose to fill all 13 scholarships. I think it is highly likely we will lose at least one player. The one recruit we have not heard from is 6-3 JC guard Mycheal Paulo. Paulo was never going to be a star but a guy who gets a handful of points, rebounds and assists. The new coach would have to find a new player to fill the back up guard spot should he bolt, but there are a lot of 6-3 JC back-up guards out there. We could handle it. The tricky part could be if a returnee bolts, and finding a suitable replacement this late in the recruiting season. Hopefully we retain everyone. Looking at the team if everyone came back, I would try to land a 6-7 to 6-8 PF and Guard/wing (someone who could score the ball). Given the late start he will get I am not sure we will find that quality Big Man so may be we end up with two guard or leaving that scholarship open. Now the interesting part of my long diatribe. I am hearing, that more than one coach, who has interviewed, plans on bring at least one (impact) player (possibly 2) with them. But like I said everything is up in the air until a coach is selected.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: Why we wait- Spring Recruiting

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:50 pm

I suppose Looney would bring Hommes

2024 Resume dominance

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:50 pm
I suppose Looney would bring Hommes
Yep...

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Would Hommes seek to come here regardless, or is he attached to Looney?

2024 Resume dominance