Nice Shooting Griz!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Nice Shooting Griz!

Post by aucat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:15 am

I watched UM last night and I found it amazing how they missed one open shot after another (they ended up shooting 33%.) I
could not help but reflect on their two performances against MSU. In both games, ESPECIALLY the one
in Bozeman, UM shot lights out. In fact, UM was one of the best shooting teams in the NCAA this year.

What was so weird was that so many of the shots, especially early in the game, were completely wide-open,
uncontested shots. If UM had shot this way against MSU, MSU would have won at least one of the games,
and Fish would probably still be the head coach.

Go figure. I guess UM just can't handle the bright lights of the Big Dance, but then I feel sure that would apply to ALL of
the Big Sky teams, men or women. As usual, a long trip for team and fans, only to get thumped in a non-competitive game.
Par for the course for the Big Sky in the NCAAs.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Nice Shooting Griz!

Post by imacat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:30 am

It was “one of those nights” for the griz. I suspect they had a little too much adrenaline pumping through their veins.

Congratulations to them on a great basketball season.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:26 pm

I felt bad for them watching that game. They shot themselves out of the game, regardless of opponent. Their defense was playing fairly well, but Michigan was also missing some open looks.

But yea it was just brick after brick, open looks.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:44 pm

They definitely had an off shooting night.... but that was a terrible (unlucky) draw. The Griz dont match up well at all against Michigan (not that many teams do, they r legit)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:39 am

aucat wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:15 am
I watched UM last night and I found it amazing how they missed one open shot after another (they ended up shooting 33%.) I
could not help but reflect on their two performances against MSU. In both games, ESPECIALLY the one
in Bozeman, UM shot lights out. In fact, UM was one of the best shooting teams in the NCAA this year.

What was so weird was that so many of the shots, especially early in the game, were completely wide-open,
uncontested shots. If UM had shot this way against MSU, MSU would have won at least one of the games,
and Fish would probably still be the head coach.

Go figure. I guess UM just can't handle the bright lights of the Big Dance, but then I feel sure that would apply to ALL of
the Big Sky teams, men or women. As usual, a long trip for team and fans, only to get thumped in a non-competitive game.
Par for the course for the Big Sky in the NCAAs.
I just noticed the PSU women's score. Man, our conference really sucks, dosen't it? Dang. I don't know what else to say. Pitiful?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:03 am

I think when it comes to the "big dance" a really important quality is swagger...
..(and size!)
Lots of teams stay in a game the first half with it, but in the second, the better team wakes up. The Griz had it last year.....they also had Akho!

2024 Resume dominance

aucat

Post by aucat » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:33 am

Given the realities of college basketball today, where the so-called "blue bloods" have five McDonalds All-Americans
on their roster (that is the case with Kansas), I truly wish there was some kind of a "mid major" division like the FCS
in football.

imacat

Post by imacat » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:11 am

IMO, the gap between the “blue bloods” and the rest of us is much larger on the women’s side than the men.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Our conference plays sub par defense. Easy for um to shoot well against that. Not so easy against a P5 team.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:05 pm

imacat wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:11 am
IMO, the gap between the “blue bloods” and the rest of us is much larger on the women’s side than the men.
There are maybe 3 teams in the country that have any chance in basketball. The gap in talent is crazy!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:31 pm

DeCuire picked up three PAC12 transfers and he's got two really decent Montana kids on the roster and still got blown out. Anyone following the Izzo arse chewing and how his kids responded (and will probably react in today's game?).

The overall administrative gap in our conference compared to even the Group of 5 schools is huge. Does anyone think MSU or UM could host a regional tournament now? Remember when U of M did? We suck. Hind tit.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:38 am

I liked when the griz player got the steal and had a fast break, went up for the dunk...and missed.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 am

lutecat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:38 am
I liked when the griz player got the steal and had a fast break, went up for the dunk...and missed.
I think that "doo rag" Bobby likes to wear blocked his vision. :lol: :lol: :lol:

imacat

Post by imacat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Is the tournament official Eric Curray “the” Eric Curray?

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:55 pm

imacat wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:31 pm
Is the tournament official Eric Curray “the” Eric Curray?
Sadly, yes. Don't understand how that sorry excuse for an official still has a job.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:46 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:31 pm
Our conference plays sub par defense. Easy for um to shoot well against that. Not so easy against a P5 team.
Yes, but if you saw this game it wasn't about high quality defense. The griz just had a horrible night shooting. The announcers started talking up the Michigan defense, but I believe they were just trying to cover for the q's horrible outside shooting. HOWEVER, down inside the griz were crushed. The griz coach simply condeeded size and went with 5 guards, which I still think was a great move. He played to his offensive strength....outside shooting. Heck, he had a 6 foot guard jumping against a 7 footer on the tip-off. They just had a bad night.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:19 am

The game would have been a lot more competitive if the Griz shot 50% in the 1st half instead of 20 something. And no, it wasn't great defense by Michigan, the Griz had plenty of good looks, just were throwing up bricks.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:46 am
thefrank1 wrote:
Yes, but if you saw this game it wasn't about high quality defense. The griz just had a horrible night shooting. The announcers started talking up the Michigan defense, but I believe they were just trying to cover for the q's horrible outside shooting. HOWEVER, down inside the griz were crushed. The griz coach simply condeeded size and went with 5 guards, which I still think was a great move. He played to his offensive strength....outside shooting. Heck, he had a 6 foot guard jumping against a 7 footer on the tip-off. They just had a bad night.
The Griz most certainly could have shot the ball better. But let's give Michigan credit. They might have the best defense in the country. They simply make life miserable for opposing defenses. If you're scoring in the 60's against them you're doing better than most do. Griz scored 55 which I think is respectable.

They led a very good Big Ten conference is just about every defensive category allowing 58 points a game and 29% from three. The Griz did pretty much what I thought they'd do against this group.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:04 pm
Mr Lisle wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:46 am
thefrank1 wrote:
The Griz most certainly could have shot the ball better. But let's give Michigan credit. They might have the best defense in the country. They simply make life miserable for opposing defenses. If you're scoring in the 60's against them you're doing better than most do. Griz scored 55 which I think is respectable.

They led a very good Big Ten conference is just about every defensive category allowing 58 points a game and 29% from three. The Griz did pretty much what I thought they'd do against this group.
This. Griz scored more than Arizona did against Mich in the next round. They lost by 19 and Arizona lost by 15. The Griz didn’t shoot well but that’s because Michigan d was so strong and forcing tough and forced shots. There weren’t many open looks at all and absolutely no inside game (without Akoh) to generate an outside game.