New head coach search

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: New head coach search

Post by Common Cat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 am

mslacat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:56 am
The best coach for the job, is currently coaching in Montana, will not be offered and if offered would not take it
TD

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:40 am

Common Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 am
mslacat wrote:
The best coach for the job, is currently coaching in Montana, will not be offered and if offered would not take it
TD
I'm assuming he means Durham.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:46 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:40 am
Common Cat wrote:
mslacat wrote:
TD
Oh I know :wink:

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:13 am

mslacat wrote:
Steve Keller? I wouldn't necessarily disagree if that's who you are referring to.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 am

Common Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:46 am
LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:40 am
Common Cat wrote:
mslacat wrote:
TD
Oh I know :wink:
:D

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:18 am

https://montanasports.com/cat-griz/2018 ... alifornia/

I'm sure most remember this article on Sprinkle but thought I'd share.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:40 pm

OK I would seriously like to hear opinions on a coaching candidate I thought of while driving around today. I think former Women's assistant head coach Nate Harris would be a truly out of the box but inspired candidate. He knows Bobcat basketball, and is a hell of a defensive and really helped Binford tweak her offence to get the best out of Peyton Harris a few year back. If you could get over some narrow mindedness, not a bad candidate.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:22 pm

From colter's article: "Costello will not be available to the media until after a hire is made." Is that odd to anyone else, that he won't talk about his assessment of the basketball program, etc? Because you know when he speaks after the new hire is made he won't talk about not bringing Fish back at that time either. All seems a bit secretive.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:23 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:22 pm
From colter's article: "Costello will not be available to the media until after a hire is made." Is that odd to anyone else, that he won't talk about his assessment of the basketball program, etc? Because you know when he speaks after the new hire is made he won't talk about not bringing Fish back at that time either. All seems a bit secretive.
This tells me, and I could well be wrong, that Costello is making the decision himself, no Peter Field transparent as hell selection committee, with booster, current and former athletes, athletic department personnel. It will be his choice period! I have Noooooooo problem with that, but heck personally, I would like to know who the candidates were. Again though that's fine. I also wonder if he has someone in particular in mind. The only thing I think they should tell us right now who is running the program in Fish's absence. 5 year ago assistant coach Shawn Dirden was chosen to run the program in Huse's absence and Haslam was retained to help. It would just make me feel better to know the players had somewhere to go, someone to talk to and not feel like the program was in complete free fall. I hope Haslam (or one of the coaches) is filling that position.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
I think the assessment of the basketball program is right out there for anyone to see. Five years under Fish, four of them with the Big Sky's all-time leading scorer and arguably the best player to ever put on a Bobcat uniform, and the results - no better than a 6th place finish with one nail-biter of a conference tournament win against the worst team in the league.

Coach Fish has just gone through what must have been the most difficult few months of his life both personally and professionally, so the last thing anyone needs is for the AD to give him another kick or two on his way out by speaking out publicly after he's just been let go.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:05 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I think the assessment of the basketball program is right out there for anyone to see. Five years under Fish, four of them with the Big Sky's all-time leading scorer and arguably the best player to ever put on a Bobcat uniform, and the results - no better than a 6th place finish with one nail-biter of a conference tournament win against the worst team in the league.

Coach Fish has just gone through what must have been the most difficult few months of his life both personally and professionally, so the last thing anyone needs is for the AD to give him another kick or two on his way out by speaking out publicly after he's just been let go.
I would only add to your assessment only, we had better talent that our record has reflects!

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Bob knight has a house at the foothills of the bridgers...

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm

lutecat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:58 pm
:-k

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Boise State has a couple of assistant coaches who have had D-1 head jobs. Mike Burns was the head coach at Eastern Washington and Tim Duryea was the head coach at Utah State and recruited the current Mountain West player of the year to Logan. There is an assistant at Santa Clara Scott Garson who was an assistant at UCLA, was the head coach at College of Idaho had a great W-L record. When he was at UCLA he recruited Russell Westbrook and Kevin Love.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:37 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm
lutecat wrote:
That's all we need after all the complaints about Fish! Besides isn't he about 85? Lol!

2024 Resume dominance

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:31 am

mslacat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:23 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
This tells me, and I could well be wrong, that Costello is making the decision himself, no Peter Field transparent as hell selection committee, with booster, current and former athletes, athletic department personnel. It will be his choice period! I have Noooooooo problem with that, but heck personally, I would like to know who the candidates were. Again though that's fine. I also wonder if he has someone in particular in mind. The only thing I think they should tell us right now who is running the program in Fish's absence. 5 year ago assistant coach Shawn Dirden was chosen to run the program in Huse's absence and Haslam was retained to help. It would just make me feel better to know the players had somewhere to go, someone to talk to and not feel like the program was in complete free fall. I hope Haslam (or one of the coaches) is filling that position.
How bout Shawn Dirden as a candidate?

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:58 am

SACCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:31 am
mslacat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Shawn is a interesting name, not sure where he’s at now?

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:59 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:37 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 pm
lutecat wrote:
That's all we need after all the complaints about Fish! Besides isn't he about 85? Lol!
Yeah i don't even know if he's still young enough to muster the rage to beat a kid up anymore, can't have that!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:46 am

Willneal wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:58 am
SACCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:31 am
mslacat wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Shawn is a interesting name, not sure where he’s at now?
Shawn is in his 3rd year at NW Oklahoma head coach. In his 3 years there he has gone 12-15 (2016-17) 22-7 (2017-18) 8-22(2018-19). I don't think those wins and losses over 3 year will get it done to be strong candidate.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:05 am

homeytennis wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 pm
Boise State has a couple of assistant coaches who have had D-1 head jobs. Mike Burns was the head coach at Eastern Washington and Tim Duryea was the head coach at Utah State and recruited the current Mountain West player of the year to Logan. There is an assistant at Santa Clara Scott Garson who was an assistant at UCLA, was the head coach at College of Idaho had a great W-L record. When he was at UCLA he recruited Russell Westbrook and Kevin Love.
Good post! As much as we like to bring up names of former Bobcat players and assistants as head coaching candidates, my guess would be that the names Costello has in mind, not having been at MSU when any of those coaches were here, are likely not on that list. This is his first major hire and a pretty important one given a perceived (whether fair or unfair) lack of progress on facilities improvements.