WHO IS FIRED UP FOR BOISE??

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: WHO IS FIRED UP FOR BOISE??

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:43 pm

All 4 Idaho teams have been eliminated. Not a surprise on the men's side, but a shock on the women's side. That won't help overall attendance.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:05 pm

I was just curious how many people need to attend this week to be considered a success. I found this NCAA report on basketball attendance. It is really interesting.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketb ... d/2017.pdf

Basically, the Big Sky ranks 21 out of 32 teams in regular season attendance. The average attendance at a game during the regular season is just over 2,000... I remember when the Brick would have 5,000 to 6,000 fans every game. UM and MSU has average attendance of 3,700 and 2,800 respectively. Weber was a top 100 program nationally averaging 6,900. Portland State averaged 538 and Sac State averaged 777.

The Southern, Summit and Sun Belt are just barely ahead of the Big sky for regular season attendance.

What was interesting was the attendance figures for the conference tourneys. Big Sky last year was 1,900 or almost the season average. If you are judging success of the tourney by attendance, do it in Salt Lake City. Weber is a guaranteed draw. Easy flights for virtually every school and some schools are driving distance. Partner with Delta (maybe naming rights for the tourney) for special fares that week and you will easily surpass 3,000 for the tourney. Having the tourney at a neutral site with no connection to a school seems like it is destined for failure.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:05 pm
I was just curious how many people need to attend this week to be considered a success. I found this NCAA report on basketball attendance. It is really interesting.

Basically, the Big Sky ranks 21 out of 32 teams in regular season attendance. The average attendance at a game during the regular season is just over 2,000... I remember when the Brick would have 5,000 to 6,000 fans every game. UM and MSU has average attendance of 3,700 and 2,800 respectively. Weber was a top 100 program nationally averaging 6,900. Portland State averaged 538 and Sac State averaged 777.

The Southern, Summit and Sun Belt are just barely ahead of the Big sky for regular season attendance.

What was interesting was the attendance figures for the conference tourneys. Big Sky last year was 1,900 or almost the season average. If you are judging success of the tourney by attendance, do it in Salt Lake City. Weber is a guaranteed draw. Easy flights for virtually every school and some schools are driving distance. Partner with Delta (maybe naming rights for the tourney) for special fares that week and you will easily surpass 3,000 for the tourney. Having the tourney at a neutral site with no connection to a school seems like it is destined for failure.
I too am curious how the attendance compares to when Reno hosted?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:56 pm

wapiti wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:05 pm

I too am curious how the attendance compares to when Reno hosted?
Not even comparable. Good crowds at every single game. There was more people at the opening women's game on Monday than there normally is by Thursday of the men's tournament. Not a high bar. But there's been hundreds of people in the stands for even the most irrelevant games. With the Idaho men and women playing back to back, I would bet there was close to 1,000 people in the arena during the middle portion of today's action.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:53 pm

And if UNC or the griz were hosting there would be not only more fans....but a majority of the fans would be cheering for the home team bringing the energy, completely lacking today.

I’ll agree it’s a cool venue. I’ll never agree it’s better than a team hosting.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:36 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:56 pm
Not even comparable. Good crowds at every single game. There was more people at the opening women's game on Monday than there normally is by Thursday of the men's tournament. Not a high bar. But there's been hundreds of people in the stands for even the most irrelevant games. With the Idaho men and women playing back to back, I would bet there was close to 1,000 people in the arena during the middle portion of today's action.
This is good to hear. Reno was a dud for attendance.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:46 pm
As a humble fan, I like the intimacy of of the arena. Not a bad seat and the crowd noise can actually be heard. The convention center in Reno was too cavernous. The seats were too far from from the floor. Outside, Boise is much cleaner and newer than Reno and lots of eating and drinking options near the arena.

Regarding the question of the regular season champ hosting, playing on a neutral court is more important and representative of a real conference championship.
Access for player's and their families trumps all IMO

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 pm

Bet UNC was wishing they had the opportunity to host the tourney....

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 pm

I like the tourney site. Change can be good! Was able to get rooms and flights weeks before the tourney. I also never want to have to smell Greeley again! 😂

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 pm

My first impression-after getting here this afternoon: The tourney is going to be in Boise for a long time.
It's not a hard drive. Took the Whitehall-Dillon way and had 80 mph interstate most of the way.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 am

Belgrade, when it's all over, I look forward to hearing your evaluation. I watched the game last night on TV and the stands looked
pretty sparse. I could hear the band and a few fans.

The arena certainly looks nice.

SkyRider
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SkyRider » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:33 am

There's been celebrity sightings at the tournament, too. Can't say that about Reno. :lol:

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local ... dd9a11a363

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:51 am

aucat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 am
Belgrade, when it's all over, I look forward to hearing your evaluation. I watched the game last night on TV and the stands looked

I'm doing a write-up for Stadiumjourney.com. I'll post it here when it gets put up.
The crowd last night wasn't large, but it was larger and more energetic than the crowd at the MSU vs EWU game in Cheney that I attended this season-for whatever that's worth. The arena holds in the crowd noise very well. It was plenty loud in there. Our band did an awesome job as usual. I didn't go to Reno, but everybody I've talk to has said that Centurylink Arena is a big upgrade. Weber vs. the griz tonight should be a decent crowd.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm

aucat wrote:

Here's the article I did for Stadium Journey: https://stadiumjourney.com/news/big-sky-in-boise/

We had a great time. The arena is very nice and there was a lot to do in downtown Boise besides the basketball. The weather was incredible-which helped. I think a final with any combination of Idaho State, Idaho, Montana, Montana State, or Weber State will be pretty well attended. An Idaho-Montana final might fill it up (on the men's side). If it ends up being Northern Arizona vs Sac State or something like that-the crowd will be small. The Idaho State and Idaho women getting upset in the earlier rounds hurt the women's attendance-but PSU vs. EWU isn't going to get a big crowd anywhere.

I'd recommend taking the tournament in Boise in to anyone. It's not a hard drive from the Bozeman area. Start planning for 2020. Our women's team should be pretty good.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:46 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:26 pm
aucat wrote:

Here's the article I did for Stadium Journey: https://stadiumjourney.com/news/big-sky-in-boise/

We had a great time. The arena is very nice and there was a lot to do in downtown Boise besides the basketball. The weather was incredible-which helped. I think a final with any combination of Idaho State, Idaho, Montana, Montana State, or Weber State will be pretty well attended. An Idaho-Montana final might fill it up (on the men's side). If it ends up being Northern Arizona vs Sac State or something like that-the crowd will be small. The Idaho State and Idaho women getting upset in the earlier rounds hurt the women's attendance-but PSU vs. EWU isn't going to get a big crowd anywhere.

I'd recommend taking the tournament in Boise in to anyone. It's not a hard drive from the Bozeman area. Start planning for 2020. Our women's team should be pretty good.
Good article and good read. I’m still all in on conference winner hosting but I’m glad to see this was a big updgrade over Reno.