Conference standings drama

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Conference standings drama

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Fish says he doesn't really pay attention to where other teams are in the standings-who's playing who, and what those other games do to our position. He said it'll make you crazy (or something like that). Probably a good policy.

But we fans of course have to do it. Remember-top 5 get a bye. 4 and 5 play each other in the first round so the battle between 4th and 5th is just for what color jersey you get to wear in that first game in Boise.

Right now there are 4 teams with a shot at those 4 and 5 spots. Then there's Weber tied with us in 3rd (but they have the tie breaker). So we basically sit in 4th at 10-7. EWU just beat PSU on a buzzer beater. They're a half-game back of us at 10-8. The Eagles finish up on the road at ISU and Weber. 9 win PSU finishes up with the Montana schools at home. SUU has 9 wins and is at Montana tonight, then at MSU and then home against UNC. Our game against SUU is obviously massive.

Last edited by BelgradeBobcat on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Conference standings drama

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 pm

We kinda have to root for the griz against SUU and PSU :sick:

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:09 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 pm
I like you, so I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that...

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:21 pm

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:26 pm

On the women's side we're hoping for 5th and a first round bye. EWU is probably the only other team with a realistic shot at 5th. Both MSU and EWU have 9 wins and lost today. We have SUU on Monday. EWU has ISU and Weber left. I'm guessing we have the tie breaker over EWU due to our win over UNC. So the loss today to NAU wasn't catastrophic.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:06 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:09 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:40 pm
I like you, so I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that...
:sick: The griz pull away in the second half to beat SUU comfortably. SUU looks really talented to me, they just seem to lose interest if things aren't going well. Which makes them a very dangerous tournament team.

UNC trailed ISU by 6 at the half, but came back to win. So they're still hanging around to snatch that no.1 see should the griz somehow falter next week.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:57 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:26 pm
On the women's side we're hoping for 5th and a first round bye. EWU is probably the only other team with a realistic shot at 5th. Both MSU and EWU have 9 wins and lost today. We have SUU on Monday. EWU has ISU and Weber left. I'm guessing we have the tie breaker over EWU due to our win over UNC. So the loss today to NAU wasn't catastrophic.
EWU has a win over UNC too. MSU and EWU have identical records against common opponents all the way down to UM in 7th place. MSU plays PSU this weekend and EWU plays ISU, so I imagine the results of those games will ultimately determine the seeding if MSU and EWU finish tied. Both teams have a "should win" game with MSU playing Sac State and EWU playing Weber, although what "should" happen frequently doesn't...

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:30 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:57 pm
EWU has a win over UNC too.
Well, crap!

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:57 pm

Weber is limping in and I think we’re getting stronger. I think we have a great chance to go into the tourney with momentum. I think the bye is ours!

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by clawman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:58 pm

This week will be very interesting. After watching Sac State and PSU play the Eagles last week I was impressed with both teams skill level, cohesive play and coaching. Neither the 'cats or Griz should think these are gimmes. SUU going to your place and hosting UNC may very well not win again. Eastern has two road games @ ISU and finish in Ogden so I would hope for at least a split and possible two wins depending which Weber team shows up. If UNC wins out and Montana stumbles this week could mean a tie at the top. I think UNC would win the tie breaker, not sure.
Fun week!!
What do Bobcats fans feel about Boise as host of the tournament?

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:25 pm

clawman wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:58 pm
This week will be very interesting. After watching Sac State and PSU play the Eagles last week I was impressed with both teams skill level, cohesive play and coaching. Neither the 'cats or Griz should think these are gimmes. SUU going to your place and hosting UNC may very well not win again. Eastern has two road games @ ISU and finish in Ogden so I would hope for at least a split and possible two wins depending which Weber team shows up. If UNC wins out and Montana stumbles this week could mean a tie at the top. I think UNC would win the tie breaker, not sure.
Fun week!!
What do Bobcats fans feel about Boise as host of the tournament?
But then PSU barely beats Idaho by 2 and Sac State loses to the hapless Vandals. I don't know what to make of that. Idaho seemed to be getting progressively worse until this weekend.

No league game is a gimmie for the Bobcats-especially on the road.

Will Davison make it back? That's a massive loss for the Eagles.

I was planning on starting a Big Sky in Boise thread at some point on this board. Planning to go over to Boise mid-week. Wish I could get there earlier for the women's early games, but can't this year. I like the pre-determined site and having the men's and women's tournments in the same venue. Hopefully it'll work out better than Reno.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:56 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:21 pm
Sure going to miss being there tonight. Stupid JOB!!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:49 am

Some big games tonight! Obviously the cats need to win... if Idaho state could somehow knock off weber that would be huge!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:49 am
Some big games tonight! Obviously the cats need to win... if Idaho state could somehow knock off weber that would be huge!

…………………….. perfect! \:D/

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:29 pm

Idaho State is temporarily my 2nd favorite Big Sky team. Congrats to them!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:48 am

Looks like the Lady Cats will lock up the #5 spot with a win over SAC and an EWU loss to ISU.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:31 am

Great win by the Cats last night...hoping the momentum continues. A couple of tough road games coming up. Sac State is always tough at home and then to PSU. Viks have won 8 straight at their new facility. We'll need another big night from the boys!

Go Cats!!