WBB vs UM

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

WBB vs UM

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:27 pm

4th quarter down to 3pts. We'll see if Cats can hold it.

2024 Resume dominance

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB vs UM

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:47 pm

13 secs 2pt lead. I can't look! OMG Cats going to line with 1.7 secs Wright converts, Cats win!

2024 Resume dominance

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:20 pm

One thing that can be said..... It was not a boring game.

Good win this afternoon LADIES.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Lady Cat win plus the Men's and Women's indoor track teams both beating the griz today give MSU 9 out of 17 total points in the Brawl of the Wild series. Third consecutive win. Go Cats

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:30 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:43 pm
Lady Cat win plus the Men's and Women's indoor track teams both beating the griz today give MSU 9 out of 17 total points in the Brawl of the Wild series. Third consecutive win. Go Cats
Wow - by my count there are still 6 events left to go (MBB tonight, M/W Outdoor T&F, M/W Tennis, and Women's Golf. That means the only things UM has won so far were the first men's basketball game and one of two volleyball games. Great job to the women on the sweep and also great job to Bobcats of all sports!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Another good Cat-Griz game from Squires. Cleaned up at the foul line. Seems like MSU has won eight of the last 11-12 games or so.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:15 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:53 pm
Another good Cat-Griz game from Squires. Cleaned up at the foul line. Seems like MSU has won eight of the last 11-12 games or so.
MSU has now won 7 of the last 9. We're 2-2 in Missoula the last 4 years, which is pretty good considering that we had hardy ever won there prior to that, in the long history of the rivalry.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:15 pm

I thought both teams played very well. The Bobcats definitely got an injury depleted lg's best shot. I was really impressed by our young players, who went into that den of horrors for the first time in their careers and didn't look scared at all. Mocchi and Wright were great-sometimes it's best that they don't know what they don't know! I knew the griz would sag off and hope we'd be nervous and go cold. We've seen it happen a lot up there. But this team hit enough of them and withstood the run that we all knew was coming. One of these games, Martell is going to hit 5 or 6 threes in a row. I know it's coming. I hope it's in the tournament.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:24 am

Excellent effort and good shooting!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:15 am

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:44 pm

My question is how long will they keep Shannon around? Her record from what I can tell so far is 33-52.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:26 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:15 pm
I thought both teams played very well. The Bobcats definitely got an injury depleted lg's best shot. I was really impressed by our young players, who went into that den of horrors for the first time in their careers and didn't look scared at all. Mocchi and Wright were great-sometimes it's best that they don't know what they don't know! I knew the griz would sag off and hope we'd be nervous and go cold. We've seen it happen a lot up there. But this team hit enough of them and withstood the run that we all knew was coming. One of these games, Martell is going to hit 5 or 6 threes in a row. I know it's coming. I hope it's in the tournament.
Who was UM missing? I know MSU was down a starter, leading scorer?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:26 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:44 pm
My question is how long will they keep Shannon around? Her record from what I can tell so far is 33-52.
And I wonder how many more years will pass before Skyline Sports does a Cat-griz women's article that doesn't mention Robin Selvig? :wink:

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:26 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
They're down four players. All 4 would be starters according to the TV announcers.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:30 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:38 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:26 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
They're down four players. All 4 would be starters according to the TV announcers.
Sadly correct:

Sophia Stiles (started as a freshman last year)
Goligoski (starting guard)
Schoening (starter from last year)
Katie Mayhue (star freshman this year who was starting)

Coming into the season, the guard depth was supposed to be a huge advantage for the lady Griz. It’s now their thinnest spot.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:48 pm

Injuries suck and would never want to downplay any injury as more important than the other, but injuries are part of the game and you have to recruit, train and develop your roster to guard against having injuries negatively impact your season. Losing Lundberg was crucial, but it made Binford have to focus on “team” and not one individual! The results have been positive. It’s going to be a very interesting tourney and MSU can be a major surprise. I believe defense will win the tourney. Losing Lundberg makes the Cats focus more on our defense than offense. The question is will our guards ever learn how to cover threes! Basketball is a tremendous game, but fans put too much emphasis on offense. The cats are a better team when they lead with their defense.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:50 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
I know they've been hit hard by injuries, not just this year, but the last three years really. But still, a record of 33-52 is pretty shocking, considering they just absolutely dominated the BSC for....well pretty much the entire history of the conference. The last few years under Selvig they weren't quite as dominant as they had been during most of his tenure, but they were still pretty much a perennial BSC title contender. Going 2-7 against MSU would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

On a side note, I watched both the ABC and CBS local news broadcasts Saturday night, and both covered the men's game including highlights, but had nothing about the women's game...didn't even mention the score. Serious question....is that simply because men's basketball is more popular than women's, or yet another example of Griz bias in the local media, since MSU won the women's game and UM won the men's game? Interestingly, both channels had pretty much equal coverage of boy's versus girl's high school tournaments. Does that answer my question?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:24 pm

John K wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:50 pm
WeedKillinCat wrote:
I know they've been hit hard by injuries, not just this year, but the last three years really. But still, a record of 33-52 is pretty shocking, considering they just absolutely dominated the BSC for....well pretty much the entire history of the conference. The last few years under Selvig they weren't quite as dominant as they had been during most of his tenure, but they were still pretty much a perennial BSC title contender. Going 2-7 against MSU would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

On a side note, I watched both the ABC and CBS local news broadcasts Saturday night, and both covered the men's game including highlights, but had nothing about the women's game...didn't even mention the score. Serious question....is that simply because men's basketball is more popular than women's, or yet another example of Griz bias in the local media, since MSU won the women's game and UM won the men's game? Interestingly, both channels had pretty much equal coverage of boy's versus girl's high school tournaments. Does that answer my question?
:-^ :-^ a griz bias? Silliest thing I have ever heard :-^ :-^

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Almost every night SWX has a Grizzly feature, and Shaun Rainey is the host so if we want the publicity we have to have our own broadcast that goes statewide. They mention the Bobcats almost out of a mandate to cover "other" teams in the BSC. Last night they drew a comparison to the academy awards giving the Griz and Lady Griz all the "awards" except the best female lead to Oliana Squires.

2024 Resume dominance

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:53 pm

MSU has beaten UM more than any team has. MSU has the best W-L percent of any Big Sky team vs UM. I doubt any Big Sky team has won more games (7) out of ten than MSU has in its current streak.