Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by Cataholic » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:41 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:06 pm
rivercat wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:15 pm
Here is the question that nobody has addressed head in. Is Fish a good coach? Would/could this group of players had more success under a different coach. If the answer is yes, find a new coach. If the answer is no and it's accepted this is the best MSU can recruit, then extend Fish's contract.

I'm no bball guru, but I think this team was capable of playing better defense and playing consistently through games. That would have won more games. Thus, I look for a new coach.
I was pretty hard on him last year and was asking these questions and pointing all this stuff out. After the situation with his daughter I decided to stay away from the basketball thread. This isn’t a criticism of anyone who has, it was just a personal choice for me.

After what he’s been through with son and daughter I’ll shelve any of my criticism. I do have an opinion, but there are things that are more important.
Same for me. I can’t imagine what he has gone through this year.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:04 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Tough, but right move for the program. Thanks to Coach Fish for working so hard for the program, but a change is needed.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Sucks to have to do this after the awful year Coach Fish and his family have been through - and I can’t even imagine how horrible it must have been and probably still is - but I think this is the best move for Bobcat basketball. I do think that he leaves the program in a better place than he found it, and there is no doubt that he worked very hard during his time in Bozeman. Hopefully he will land on his feet with a good program and will grow from this experience. Best of luck, Coach, and thank you for everything you did for MSU!

GO CATS GO!!!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:15 pm

Thanks Brian for all you did. This year was a pleasant surprise. First time in over a decade that the team finished every game with effort. Best wishes.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 pm

RMD wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:43 pm
Stays, no question!
'Carnac the Magnificent' you, and much of the 'SameThink' BN Nation, are not. Lou Costello couldn't wait til the next business day, Monday, to drop the axe? Oh, no, do it on a Sunday, on St. Pattys Day to make it memorable. Like I said, "bye bye Bri." Good luck to him. He was a very successful assistant, but no better, or worse, that Huse as HC. Think about it, If it can't be done in five years, just like TDC, what is the rationale for waiting til eight? Its St. Patrick's Day, drink green beer, eat corned beef and cabbage, drink a few dozen toasts to Fish and staff, then plot Lou's demise. :suds:

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:29 pm

I feel like whatever decision was made was the wrong decision. Letting Fish go-wrong decision. If Fish was retained-wrong decision. This program can't win.
I hope the new guy's first move isn't to run off the recruits we have coming in-especially Caleb Bellach and Jubrile Bello.
All the best to Coach Fish and his wife-and to the seniors, and to the other players we will do doubt lose in the process-as there are always casualties.

And the assistant coaches and their families. Tough business.
Last edited by BelgradeBobcat on Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:35 pm
I am very surprised folks are in favor of keeping him around when he hasn’t finished above 500 in his entire nine year tenure. That’s not good kids. With Hall moving on I don’t think it matters who is coaching it’s going to be a rough year next year and probably after
I know the record was not there. When I had the opportunity to watch the Cats on tv, the Cats looked respectable. They played hard. The guaranteed 10 point run in the 2nd half to lose the games was not there. The talent level under Fish is much better. I hope his firing does not set the program back.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:58 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 pm
RMD wrote:
Stays, no question!
'Carnac the Magnificent' you, and much of the 'SameThink' BN Nation, are not. Lou Costello couldn't wait til the next business day, Monday, to drop the axe? Oh, no, do it on a Sunday, on St. Pattys Day to make it memorable. Like I said, "bye bye Bri." Good luck to him. He was a very successful assistant, but no better, or worse, that Huse as HC. Think about it, If it can't be done in five years, just like TDC, what is the rationale for waiting til eight? Its St. Patrick's Day, drink green beer, eat corned beef and cabbage, drink a few dozen toasts to Fish and staff, then plot Lou's demise. :suds:
Yes, it was time for a change. To state it the way you did is pitiful. What a jerk.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:45 pm

Whoopie Ki-Yay, BOB! :twisted:

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:51 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:45 pm
Whoopie Ki-Yay, BOB! :twisted:
A typical classless Griz troll!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:32 pm

I thought Coach Fish was a great coach. I understand this is a business and you have to win to keep your job. I think we had a decent season this year. I really thought coming from Oregon would have really been huge for us, especially after the huge mistake of Huse or whatever his name was. If we can’t start to beat UM and recruit like they do, it is going to be hard for any coach to keep their job for long at MSU. I wish him and his wife the best though. They have been through a lot.

Punters are people too!!

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:49 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:14 pm
Sucks to have to do this after the awful year Coach Fish and his family have been through - and I can’t even imagine how horrible it must have been and probably still is - but I think this is the best move for Bobcat basketball. I do think that he leaves the program in a better place than he found it, and there is no doubt that he worked very hard during his time in Bozeman. Hopefully he will land on his feet with a good program and will grow from this experience. Best of luck, Coach, and thank you for everything you did for MSU!
He did leave the program in much better shape; I'm loyal to a fault, so I would not have asked him to leave this year. Things were getting better. However we have to trust the School, the leadership, and see where the chips fall. I also hope we can retain most if not all of our players and only build on what Fish left us.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:33 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:58 pm
3-7-77 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 pm
RMD wrote:
Stays, no question!
Yes, it was time for a change. To state it the way you did is pitiful. What a jerk.
You mean that you could understand his rambling post? If he is a UM grad, that degree did not require an English class. I actually think he is a high schooler trying to be funny.

aucat

Post by aucat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:58 pm

I have three observations: 1. I have to say that this year was the first year I truly enjoyed going to the men's games in some time. The guys were almost always competitive, which to me is critical, and they really played hard. 2. Given that we are losing Hall and Blevens and Neuman, I think we pretty much know that next year's team will drop down from what this year's team achieved. 3. I thought Brian Fish was totally a class act, but then
I said the same thing about Brad Huse. Leon Costello has experienced success with the basketball program at SDSU. I am going to trust his judgement.,
The program needs to experience success, more than we have had. Finally, I really don't know many programs in the nation where you can lose consistently to your main rival and realistically expect to be retained. Fish beat UM only one time during his 5 year tenure. When he got that first win over UM I thought maybe we had turned the corner with the program, but not really. I did enjoy the team this year, but if this is the high water mark for FIsh (and I'm afraid it is) then a change was pretty much inevitable.

The very best and warm wishes to Brian FIsh and his family and his future undertakings.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:30 pm

I wish Brian Fish and his family all the best.

Thanks Coach for your dedication, hard work and for improving the Bobcat basketball program. You definitely leave a program in much better shape than the one you inherited.

If it was up to me, you would be back.

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:35 pm

Best of luck to Fish and the staff, tough professions!!

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:38 pm

I don’t know if this was the right call.

I kind of feel like this years team was a top three team when all is said and done. It seems like we needed 2-3 more impactful role players to compete against the griz. We are not catching their program anytime soon. Randy Rahe at Weber State has a good to great program, Simon at Southern Utah does well at neutral sites. Travis Decuire is a great Coach who can recruit. It feels like when UM built Washington Grizzly stadium and we have been playing catch up ever since. They get great recruits and coaching tree to match.

I thought Coach Fish got better as a coach and showed improvement this year. I can understand why they may have let him go after five years. I just believe that we will be going backwards again after whatever steps we managed to scrape forward.

GavinDonos
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GavinDonos » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:11 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:29 pm
I feel like whatever decision was made was the wrong decision. Letting Fish go-wrong decision. If Fish was retained-wrong decision. This program can't win.
I hope the new guy's first move isn't to run off the recruits we have coming in-especially Caleb Bellach and Jubrile Bello.
All the best to Coach Fish and his wife-and to the seniors, and to the other players we will do doubt lose in the process-as there are always casualties.

And the assistant coaches and their families. Tough business.
I couldn’t have said it better. This program is in some kinda funk indeed.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:23 pm

I’m surprised with the outrage over our AD making a tough call! It’s his job to build a culture that university athletics can prosper in a healthy environment. There’s been a lot of negative press on how Coach Fish engaged our student athletes and we all know that in today’s legal environment, our AD had to look at many things besides wins and losses. He made the call and I feel for Coach Fish and his family. I also feel for the athletes that left the program due to what they perceived to be a toxic environment. Business decisions are made and I respect the level of difficulty that goes into those decisions. I appreciate the concern for Coach Fish and his family, but speaking negative of our AD due to his courage to make the tough call is just plain wrong!