Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Coach Fish (Does he stay or go)

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:36 pm

phantom wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:23 pm
At this point, if the Bobcats finish where they are in the conference and they decide to let him go, then this was a wasted year and the Administration should have made the move last year. Whether you like it or not, the Grizzlies were heavy, heavy favorites to win the conference and it was a six point game at their place.
If they let him go, he’ll go on to make more money next year as an assistant in a power 5 program, so I won’t be upset for him. The program has shown signs of moving forward in four of the five years. If the standard for the program moving forward is you cannot have a bad year and you have to beat the best team in the conference, then you will constantly looking for the next savior of the program.
I agree. They didn't make the move last year. It just wouldn't make sense to do it now unless we lose out or something.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm a little surprised it would happen before the tournament - what if we end up dancing?

That to me would indicate a resignation versus a firing?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:10 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:54 pm
I'm a little surprised it would happen before the tournament - what if we end up dancing?

That to me would indicate a resignation versus a firing?
I agree-seems premature unless he told them he's throwing in the towel after the season. If true maybe Fish can pull a Don Holst and win the Big Sky tournament before he exits...nah, we're gonna lose to Idaho-I'm pretty sure.

What would this do to our recruits. Jubrile Belo and Caleb Bellach are two I'd like to have come in-no matter who the next coach is (if the rumor is true).

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:07 am

Tough decision, but I think the best for men's basketball. There has been little excitement for the past 20 years, which leads to changes.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 am

If this is true would Sprinkle be interested?

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:33 am

Has this been confirmed anywhere else? Colter, Boze. Chronicle?

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:37 am

phantom wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:23 pm
At this point, if the Bobcats finish where they are in the conference and they decide to let him go, then this was a wasted year and the Administration should have made the move last year. Whether you like it or not, the Grizzlies were heavy, heavy favorites to win the conference and it was a six point game at their place.
If they let him go, he’ll go on to make more money next year as an assistant in a power 5 program, so I won’t be upset for him. The program has shown signs of moving forward in four of the five years. If the standard for the program moving forward is you cannot have a bad year and you have to beat the best team in the conference, then you will constantly looking for the next savior of the program.
Your conclusion statement pretty well defines the departure of coach Ash.

ddlalum

Post by ddlalum » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:35 am

If this is true, hopefully Fish has resigned on his own accord. Otherwise, creating this kind of distraction right before the tournament is just plain dUMb.

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:05 am

I agree with ddlalum. It would be foolish to fire Coach Fish on the eve of the tournament. On the other hand, if Coach Fish decided to resign, he may have announced it now, before the tournament, to motivate the team.

If this rumor is true, would any of his assistants be a good candidate to replace him?

Also, if the rumor is true, I really hope we don't lose recruits Jubrile Belo and Caleb Bellach.

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:06 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 pm
I'm the most fatalistic Bobcat fan there is, but I think y'all are selling Coach Fish and his team short this season. We just went up against the greatest assemblage of basketball talent since the Dream Team in an environment rivaling, if not surpassing, Cameron Indoor Stadium, Phog Allen Fieldhouse, or Washington-Grizzly Stadium and we fell by a mere 6 points. We've got a shot to finish third (if Weber's injury woes cause them to falter). If we end up 4th or 5th, which seems likely, we' might get another shot at the griz on the neutral floor in Boise. Of course by then they'll probably have Jamar Akoh, the greatest big man since Wilt Chamberlin, back in their lineup-making the odds long-but you never know. Even the Chicago Bulls, led by Michael Jordan-who is almost as good as Ahmad Rorie-dropped a game or two in their many NBA finals.

This thing isn't over yet. We've got a chance.
I agree with this. Just doing the dot-to-dot, the braketting this year looks like the best the CATS could hope for. They start with Idaho ( who the CATS have beaten) then it looks like anyone they may play down steam (subject to audit) until the championship game they have also beaten. That most likely leaves them with either Weber or the griz for the championship. :coffee:

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Cats15 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:33 am
Has this been confirmed anywhere else? Colter, Boze. Chronicle?
That twitter account is a complete slash and burn piece of garbage. I do believe Brian Fish is coaching for a new contract in Boise this week. But this report is untrue, at least in terms of legitimate sourcing.

75Cat
New Recruit

Post by 75Cat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:22 pm

I really like Coach fish, but his style of offense, stand around and hope instead of running plays does not seem to work in the Big Sky.
Unless we make a run in Boise, I say both he and Tricia need to go. Both seem to run with the same offense. Stand around and no plays.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Being a college coach is an extremely hard profession. You're never home, your job performance is criticized on a nightly basis by thousands of strangers, and you're a substitute father/mother to young college athletes which adds undue stress. It's hard on your well-being, it's hard on your marriage, and it's hard on your family. Throw in the emotional roller coaster Coach Fish has had to endure with the loss of both a son and, this year a daughter, and quite frankly I can't imagine how Coach pushes through.

I have been critical as anyone with his performance these last 4-5 years. That said, I think he deserves at least one more year after this if he wants to stay. We've shown signs of improvement, and it would be nice to to have Coach Fish around to see Harald Frey thru his senior year. But who knows if he's got enough in the tank to stick around. I wouldn't blame him one bit if he wanted to walk away and spend time with his wife.

We have debated the mediocre state of Bobcat basketball on this board for years. Decades, even. During Durham's last several years, we were mediocre. Under Huse, we were mediocre. And we haven't been any better under Coach Fish. I am beginning to think that it's not so much a coaching problem that we have, rather it's an institutional problem. I honestly don't think you are gonna get rid of Fish and bring someone else in, and we're gonna get better. Let's face it -- right now MSU is a football school. That's our baby and that's where all the resources go. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm just saying that's the reality. MSU's athletics administration may tell us that they care about increasing the status of basketball, but it just seems like it's all talk and no action. Until MSU decides to get serious about basketball, it really doesn't matter who our coach is.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:05 pm

We have debated the mediocre state of Bobcat basketball on this board for years. Decades, even. During Durham's last several years, we were mediocre. Under Huse, we were mediocre. And we haven't been any better under Coach Fish. I am beginning to think that it's not so much a coaching problem that we have, rather it's an institutional problem. I honestly don't think you are gonna get rid of Fish and bring someone else in, and we're gonna get better. Let's face it -- right now MSU is a football school. That's our baby and that's where all the resources go. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I'm just saying that's the reality. MSU's athletics administration may tell us that they care about increasing the status of basketball, but it just seems like it's all talk and no action. Until MSU decides to get serious about basketball, it really doesn't matter who our coach is.
Why does um do so much better with basically the same budget?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:

Two initials.....TD

aucat

Post by aucat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Well, don't just focus on UM, which is very logical, but think of some of these other schools that done quite well
and really don't have the attributes and fan support that MSU has.

Personally, I hope we win the BS Tournament and that would help a lot

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Yes, Coach has to know that with the team he's built, with Tyler Hall finishing up, Harold being all conference in my mind, with two of the best guards in the conference on his team, that to finish 6th does not bode well for an extension. IF Costello is looking at this objectively, he sees Tyler leaving this year, and no one on deck to replace him. Laden Ricketts has a nice shot sometimes but he is no Hall replacement and his defense is at times more of a deficit than his scoring an asset.

Our bigs are not consistent in scoring and rebounding, our defensive play is so spotty you have to believe it has something to do with coaching. Coach has a team that can score in buckets, but has also almost nightly allowed for career nights from opponent players. If I'm guessing, I'm guessing that unless we win it (BSC tourney) he is heading to a new team and we are looking for a new coach. Is it fair? I can't answer it, but I can say this has been and will likely be his high water mark for the Bobcats. If we want more of that...then so be it.

On the human side, a one year extension would be a merciful thing to offer in light of all that is going on, but it would be against the backdrop that everyone knows he's gone...including the players.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:25 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:36 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:

Two initials.....TD
While I agree that DeCuire is a great coach, I disagree with the sentiment. UM's basketball program is fundamentally better than ours, and has been for a long time. Is that just luck, with hiring a string of good-to-great coaches? Because you were great under Krystowiak, great under Tinkle, and it's continued under DeCuire. As stated above, we've been mediocre since the 2001-2002 team, truly. I remember when Huse was hired here, many Griz fans that I know and have gone to basketball games with over there thought UM let the wrong coach go, that Huse was better than Tinkle. So I don't agree that it's all attributed to DeCuire, although he's clearly a more accomplished coach than Fish at this point. It's institutional, I agree with CamoCat.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 am

On the subject of the OP, I'm a bit ambivalent. I think Fish has done some good things here (raised the level of our guard play and our offensive play in general) and struggled with others (terrible post/forward play for most of his tenure, bad defense). I'm quite frankly ok if he's given an extension of 1 year, 3 years, etc., but I'd certainly understand if Costello wanted to bring in his own guy at this point. Also, the human factor plays in here. Scenario: Fish has coached through the death of his daughter this year, the team has shown some promise, and narrowly lost a couple games that would have changed everyone's outlook tremendously. Let's say we beat Idaho, beat EWU, and lose a barnburner to UNC in the BSC semis. 4th place conference tourney finish, coupled with a team that was in the hunt for 3rd until the final days of the season, with all the adversity team and especially coach faced this year. Who's bringing him back, and who's not, if that scenario plays out?